Recovery and Towing

Tony B

I hadn't noticed the British Forage cap, but I think the recovery crew in the British army Scammell Recovery films are wearing them. At least I think the bloke in charge is....? Just from memory as I haven't seen it for a while/

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree it is a good picture just noticed the scammell pioneer has lost its front left hand mudgard you can see the tyre tread

your reply has had me looking a bit further at pic truck at right has bar grips on it may be it has been in service a while and had new tyres fitted. One on left has directional (tractor tyres fitted) so could be one on left is newer vehicle. hence one on left got newer version of garwood crane. Also i think cab shape is different could it be one on right is kenworth built version of wrecker??

Edited by cosrec
keyboard put wrong words in

Nobody seems in the slightest concerned about all those wire ropes under tension.

yes it is a golden rule dont step over or work round winch ropes under tension.

To be fair to them they wont be under that much load. at a guess that truck would have slide back even with trail spades down at around about 18 tons so line tension would have been max 4.5 tons with the way its rigged. Bit curious why so many snatch blocks with that winch one block would have way overloaded holding power of vehicle

heres one thats puzzling me. I have a brouchure for EKA wreckers in PDF format in one picture it shows a Scammell EKA working for British army. what i cant work out is what its winching. What springs to my mind is leyland Martian what else could it be???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42700[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42701[/ATTACH]

Found it - pic from other side in World Trucks No.8 SCAMMELL by Pat Kennett (remember TRUCK magazine?).

AEC tractor, same as dumptruck chassis but twin rear wheels.

Sold under the Name AEC Bush tractor?

Some where built as fifth wheel tractors, so this may well not be a conversion from a dump truck, but built from new as Artic Bush tractor.

Edited by antarmike

quick pic showing project i started a long time ago this was held up due to lack of finance but it is finally back on track. It went out out prior to christmas on about 12 jobs but only in a role as dead man giving extra wieght on heavy winch jobs. today have finally managed to get all hydralics up and running will in near future get rear stiff legs up and working so should not belong before we start fitting body work. and painting. Main winch has been tried and will winch 10 ton truck plus 6 ton forklift with brakes locked at 750 psi showing on gauge relief valve so should be a winching monster when get rear spades up and working

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42922[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42923[/ATTACH]

This wrecker to mind is one of the bonniest lookin trucks ever built and as a versatile medium all rounder it has to be the best. I belive it was the sucsessor to the ones used by the BOAR. I have seen some pictures on here of some in a scrapyard somewhere anybody piont me to the right place

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43125[/ATTACH]

One of the best photos i have seen on this sight. I have a couple of questions to ask about the picture are both WLF the same model or is the one on the left the all power operated eg luffing and slewing i can see the one right is manual. reason i ask is the main winch on the right looks much bigger. one other question is it me or is the soldier on the extreme left an American his hat looks like American issue. Why do i think this is a good snap because i think it captures the atmosphere on a tough recovery job pefectly. The guys are grafting hard but coming to realise they arnt winning some back up has arrived and though tired they going to get the job done.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42569[/ATTACH]

This is one of my favourite photos. It is believed to be North Africa somewhere and shows two M1 wreckers in British service (large numbers of M1 and M1A1 Heavy Wreckers were supplied to the British under the Lend-Lease agreement).

Notice the Scammell has finally arrived on the scene long after the job has been rigged and started by the faster US-origin trucks!

I'd love to find another view of the scene as there are a number of unanswered questions such as whether the Scammell is being used as a dead weight or is just parked up; also what they are winching out and how steep that slope really is; is there something parked behind the Scammell or is that just the rear of the truck? I believe the M1 on the left is the only one doing anything. The one on the right has no ground anchors deployed and the winch drum is full.

With regard to the models of the M1's, they are both the 'man-draulic' M1 and not M1A1 as the hand wheels are visible on both. The one on the right could be a slightly later model - it may have a curved end to the boom - but this is not visible so we cannot tell. The radiator profile, front brush guards and cab trim are the best identifiers for WLF vs Kenworth and these are not clear in the photo although zooming in on the one on the right appears to show the angle-topped radiator of a WLF. Of note is the large storage chest on the left running board of the left hand truck, a tarp stowed on the roof of the same truck and the amount of loose equipment stowed in the rear bodies of both. These wagons are not noted for their secure stowage space! The scrim nets laid over the crane mechanisms must have played merry hell with the movement of the ropes through the sheaves! Finally notice the jerry can balanced against the rear sheerleg of the left truck behind the chap sitting at the winch controls.

The same Garwood model winch was fitted to the rear of all M1 and M1A1 Heavy Wreckers (apart from one of the small British orders - a production run of a few tens - that were ordered without rear winches) so should be the same model. I think it is an optical illusion as the one on the left has most of its rope paid out and the other is full. The operator's legs are obscuring the brake housing on the left hand truck which also makes it appear different.

- MG

Edited by TooTallMike
Added detail

Notice the Scammell has finally arrived on the scene long after the job has been rigged and started by the faster US-origin trucks!

is there something parked behind the Scammell or is that just the rear of the truck? MG

Agree with you Mike a brilliant picture, also note the Scammell has lost a front mudguard, (maybe due to excessive speed) which can be seen chucked up on the back with some other untidy kit, and the rear mudguard has taken a battering as well.

I don't think there is another vehicle behind the Scammell, it's just the same truck with the towing pole can be seen stowed in it's correct place.

Edited by gritineye

Thanks for info tootallmike gritineye like you say great photo and would love to know if any others were taken at same time. Its the atmosphere of the photo that gets me Also would love to see what they were hung onto the WLF on its own was(is) a very capable wrecker so must have been something big or very stuck

• 2 weeks later...

Bit [ATTACH=CONFIG]44210[/ATTACH]late but some pictures showing general layout of boom. Hopefully some more hydraulic parts arriving tomorrow all being well should have rear l[ATTACH=CONFIG]44209[/ATTACH]egs going up and down and spades welded on. bit more work to do in inner boom to allow it to go in further then case of fitting lifting rams

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44208[/ATTACH]

Here's some niice Jige built kit

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44228[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44224[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44227[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44226[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44225[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44223[/ATTACH]

More info can be found here

http://www.jige-international.com/recovery-vehicles,military,military,mega-42-french-army,7,16,24.html

Some nice pieces of kit there. Jige is a French company but is owned by The Dover Corp of America same as Boniface from this country. The kit on the last two pictures is Made by Century in America also owned by the Dover Corp. They are built very close to the original birth place of the modern recovery gear designed by Earnest Holmes. Holmes are also owned by the Dover Corp Along with Challenger Vulan Tulsa Winches Garwood and many More companies who build recovery equipment. So although people in the recovery industry have strong loyalties towards certain brand names they are mostly buying off the same American company

Hi Cosrec,

I thought Miller Industries owned/ parent company of Jige/ Boniface/ Century/Holmes etc etc..:undecided:

and having just goggled it, below is the info:computerrage:

Principal Subsidiaries: Century Holdings, Inc.; Champion Carrier Corporation; Miller Industries International, Inc.; Boniface Engineering Limited (U.K.); Jige International (France); Miller Financial Services Group, Inc.; Vulcan International, Inc.

Company Perspectives:

Miller Industries is the world's largest integrated provider of vehicle towingand recovery equipment, systems and services with executive offices in Atlanta,Georgia and manufacturing operations in Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Mississippi,France and England. Miller Industries markets its towing and recovery equipmentunder the well-recognized Century, Challenger, Holmes, Champion, Eagle, Vulcan,Jige, and Boniface brand names and markets its towing services under thenational brand name RoadOne.

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Miller-Industries-Inc-Company-History.html

Hi Cosrec,

I thought Miller Industries owned/ parent company of Jige/ Boniface/ Century/Holmes etc etc..:undecided:

and having just goggled it, below is the info:computerrage:

Principal Subsidiaries: Century Holdings, Inc.; Champion Carrier Corporation; Miller Industries International, Inc.; Boniface Engineering Limited (U.K.); Jige International (France); Miller Financial Services Group, Inc.; Vulcan International, Inc.

Company Perspectives:

Miller Industries is the world's largest integrated provider of vehicle towingand recovery equipment, systems and services with executive offices in Atlanta,Georgia and manufacturing operations in Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Mississippi,France and England. Miller Industries markets its towing and recovery equipmentunder the well-recognized Century, Challenger, Holmes, Champion, Eagle, Vulcan,Jige, and Boniface brand names and markets its towing services under thenational brand name RoadOne.

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Miller-Industries-Inc-Company-History.html

Hi i stand corrected When i went to the states once i drove up to Chattanoga to visit the Towing Museum for various reasons i never got to see it. That evening i met Two recovery guys from Canada who had flown down to look at a couple of recovery vehicle they were having built. It was them who explained that Millers Ind were under pressure to sell out to the Dover Corp. Obviously it never happened. What ever regardless of what the badges say a large proportion of the western worlds recovery equipment sarts life in America

Cosrec, I think you might have just had it the wrong way round - Dover Corp were acquiring various wrecker manufacturing companies, and were then in turn acquired by Miller Industries in about 2005 according to some U.S. auto history website (if you can believe anything you see on the web :cool2:).

As you say, fascinating how most of the gear has a common U.S. pedigree.