Antar Gallery

The three day week was introduced by the Conservatives on Jan 1st 1974 and lasted until 7th March that year.

The miners were on national strike and the plan was to ration power so that everyone could work for at least part of the week

Ted Heath's govvernment was worried coal stocks would run out and sectors of industry would close, never to restart. By keeping things ticking over he hoped to keep business alive, but with reduced earnings. I remember working at a college, in the engineering depatment, and classes being constantly cancelled because we could not use the Lathes and Milling machines, At home we knew when the power would be off so hot meals were planned for the good days and cold meals for the dark days. we used a lot of candles....and burned a lot of paraffin...

Edited by antarmike

Thank You , for the additional details , Although I have always kept up with the World News I can't recall the event.

Must have felt something like it did back during War time there , planning around when the power would be out and such .

Living in Tidworth at the time electricity ceased at 10 PM but i am sure it started late in 1973 as i can remember christmas with no power after 10 PM the complete garrison was blacked out litrally.

Ashley

I was halfway through my apprenticeship when that kicked in.... I remember the trade school running off generators for a while until the company decided the fuel was too expensive - so we wound up sitting around making tea and toast with the oxy-acetylene torches for 2 days a week!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Nelson Green's yard at Bourne by any chance? One came out of there for restoration 2 years back.

That rings a bell mate but memory banks failing at a fast rate of knots.was sat in traffic 100yds from home couldnt remember the name of my rd,good job plod didnt stop me.:shake:

Antar Model C6T (or R6)

29-05-2008195933.jpg

New to Argentina, this is the same model as my Antar but in LHD. The winch does not have spooling gear, and minor differences edxist such as front towhook.

This is one of a Civilian batch exported to Argentina under an AEI Contract.

One of the gents has his hand on the lifting rings (on front and rear axle) This is for loading and unloading onto ship by crane. They would be removed when delivered.

• 3 weeks later...