Antar Gallery

Some pics of my old antar I have just scanned in. The picture of the one with the crane on is the one from Southend on Sea which I rescued for spares many years ago. My Antar is now in the ownership of Mervyn Annets in Basingstoke (its gone home) and the "wrecker" resides in York with Dave Weedon.

Antar at Bobs.jpg

Antar at home.jpg

Antar on trailer at Mervyns.jpg

Antar's at Mervyns.jpg

Astle 1999.jpg

Antar wrecker.jpg

It must have been all of 20 years ago i called into Biggin Hill airport on business and to have a nose around of course in the week preceeding the airshow and found parked up amongst the showman vehicles waiting to enter and set up this Antar MK1 running on trade plates. It was in excellent condition and towed a Dyson 50 ton trailer any one have any idea who owned it at the time and is it still out there

hmvf1.jpg

hmvf2.jpg

hmvf3.jpg

John, What happened to your Dyson?

Mike, the Dyson was sold to Andrew Jackson in a deal to get a M747 trailer for my Ward La France posted elswhere on this site. It stood there for a couple of years until David Crouch bought the Cooper Antar, when I mentioned to David my trailer was still their the next time I called in at Kibworth low and behold the Dyson was there! It is now coupled to the Crouch/Cooper Antar.

John

How many ton was the wrecking gear rated at ! look's like it could easily lift a house !!!

The wrecking gear was home made and was never completed. There were never any winches added for the booms. The hydraulics had been connected for those massive rams but the chrome was verry badly pitted, one cylinder was actually "bellowed" as if it had been overloaded. The whole of the wrecking gear got weighed in and the truck is now with Dave Weedon.

The wrecking gear was home made and was never completed. There were never any winches added for the booms. The hydraulics had been connected for those massive rams but the chrome was verry badly pitted, one cylinder was actually "bellowed" as if it had been overloaded. The whole of the wrecking gear got weighed in and the truck is now with Dave Weedon.

Wrecking gear built and fitted by Roger Windley from Woodhall Spa ? Tattershall area around Lincolnshire. He removed and sold the engine during the winter of discontent. This part of its history has formed an earlier part of this topic...

Mike

I was looking out for your Antar at GDSF, never seen one in the metal.

If you'd have parked it near that trailer I would've had no problem finding it.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune on the way home. Is it a difficult job to repair? Engine or gearbox out?

I'm surprised to see it fits on the recovery trailer, width wise at least. Looks like the front axle doesn't even overhang the standard trailer width. I always thought the were wider than standard trucks.

Antar is 10'6" wide at the back, but yes the front is narrower. The Antar isn't very well loaded for a variety of reasons, but is hanging half a front tyre over the trailer on the offside. I don't have a picture of the other side.

As for repair, money is the problem. Getting the clutch rebuilt is estimated at £500 - £2000

It's a double 18" clutch, between the flywheel and the Pressure plate are sandwiched two driven plates and an intemediate plate ( which is itself held in slots in the clutch cover) it is likely the flywheel, both sides of the intermediate plate and the pressure plate will need to be metal sprayed, and machined true. The Clutch release bearing will need metal spraying, the Thrust pads or slippers and their bolts need re-manufacturing, the operating arms need rebuilduilg and redrilling, Anti -rattle springs on the operating fingers need remaking etc. And I have gearbox oil seal problems to sort at the same time.

The input shaft into the gearbox and the pilot bearing may also need work. If the input shaft needs re-manufacture add another £600?? its going to be expensive.

Mike

I'm surprised to see it fits on the recovery trailer, width wise at least. Looks like the front axle doesn't even overhang the standard trailer width. I always thought the were wider than standard trucks.

If you look carefully at the trailer, it has pull out supports for handling oversized loads. The decks can be removed and the supports swung in for normal operation. I've seen this on tank trailers before.

If you look carefully at the trailer, it has pull out supports for handling oversized loads. The decks can be removed and the supports swung in for normal operation. I've seen this on tank trailers before.

I know of the extending deck, seen it quite regularly used for large excavators etc. Was very surprised at how narrow the track of the Antar front axle was given it's such a wide vehicle.

Mike just noticed the Antar engine failed on the A34 also ! Have you thought about a detour next year ? Is it a particularly hilly road or just a coincidence ? How did your wifes petrol Explorer perform at the show ? I didn't get to see her in the arena but did admire the new cab back panel ! Andy F

And on another trip the governor weights exploded out of the back of the injection pump at Didcot.

It is the A34 triangle, which includes Newbury, Didcot and Abingdon. I wonder if the USAAF has ever lost a flight of Grumman Avengers flying out of Harwell.....

Edited by antarmike

Andi's Scammell is behaving much better. Andi and a group of friends found the time to strip and clean the Carburetters, lift pump filters and fuel filters. We have only been doing bits and pieces and the four hours spent on it at GDSF have left it running better than ever.

Andi pulled Andy Denton's two Explorers, "Lightning", with his "Efnik" on the 20 ton R.E Trailer with a push pole up the steep hill in the playpen without missing a beat.

She then went on to tow out Alleley's low loader with two lorries on the back...

She is getting into the towing lark. She even pushed the dead Antar up a slope into my shed when my Douglas couldn't do it!

It's a double 18" clutch, between the flywheel and the Pressure plate are sandwiched two driven plates and an intemediate plate ( which is itself held in slots in the clutch cover) it is likely the flywheel, both sides of the intermediate plate and the pressure plate will need to be metal sprayed, and machined true. The Clutch release bearing will need metal spraying, the Thrust pads or slippers and their bolts need re-manufacturing, the operating arms need rebuilduilg and redrilling, Anti -rattle springs on the operating fingers need remaking etc. And I have gearbox oil seal problems to sort at the same time.

The input shaft into the gearbox and the pilot bearing may also need work. If the input shaft needs re-manufacture add another £600?? its going to be expensive.

Mike,

Having got rid of my ANTAR a few years ago only three months ago did I get rid of the last spares, and amongst them were the last clutch plates, have a word with a well known recovery operator he might do you a good deal ? I bought all 20 of the clutch plates from the Peter Court sale for £10 plus vat !

If you need the intermediate plate Isold that to Dave Weedon.

John.

Mike

I was looking out for your Antar at GDSF, never seen one in the metal.

If you'd have parked it near that trailer I would've had no problem finding it.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune on the way home. Is it a difficult job to repair? Engine or gearbox out?

Stormin, did you get the WLF from Ellesmere ? Also we now have a new MVT Area called the Manchester MVT and we meet at the Lancaster Club, Broadway, Failsworth, not far from your location. It would be nice to see you there next meet is Tuesday 9/9/08 at 7.30pm.

Sorry to hijack this thread.