Antar Gallery

Sorry to hear the bad news Mike - I hope the costs are on the lower end of the scale you gave!!

If you look carefully at the trailer, it has pull out supports for handling oversized loads. The decks can be removed and the supports swung in for normal operation. I've seen this on tank trailers before.

Fun comes when the sides extend for width - but the loading ramps don't!!!

This is when, if you are lucky, you can end up with a pick-up bed full of railway sleepers!! :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

And on another trip the governor weights exploded out of the back of the injection pump at Didcot.

It is the A34 triangle, which includes Newbury, Didcot and Abingdon. I wonder if the USAAF has ever lost a flight of Grumman Avengers flying out of Harwell.....

This must be the flight Jack thought he saw the other week.... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Antar gets a new engine. (having blown up the last one on the A34 at Abingdon...ouch)

23-01-2007191505.jpg

Mike,

Just out of interest, why did the engine blow up ? It's not normally expected to happen.

Also, bearing in mind that you had been nursing a defective clutch for many years I wonder why you didn't take the

opportunity to renew the clutch while the engine out.

The clutch wasn't changed because one was not available, it took two weeks off work to change the engine. Locating parts for the clutch and waiting on the turnaround in machining would have taken another two weeks. I just had to get the beast home, and the clutch was still within permitted wear limits, and had been working fine. In fact it continued to be fine for four more years. It needs serious work to the thrust pads, pivot pins, operating arms, clutch release bearing apart from the clutch itself. To get the cross shaft out of the Bell housing would have meant blowing a hole through the Chassis with Oxy-acetylene. The plan was to wait till the clutch reached the wear figure stated in the manual, before doing tis work. The clutch let go before this figure was actually reached (which was an unexpeted event)

The suspected cause of the engine failure is corrosion in the wet liners, leading to coolant getting into a bore and Hydraulically locking the engine. The Rolls family of engines need at least 50% antifreeze to prevent liner corrosion, and the Antar had experienced 14 years in the "care" of B.R.E. and the Antifreeze was not changed regularly to keep the additives effective. It was also not topped up with the right mix and at the time I bought it it was mostly water...I of course changed the Antifreeze on purchase, and kept it fresh at 50% but I believe serious corrosion had occured over those 14 years.

Edited by antarmike

and the clutch was still within permitted wear limits, and had been working fine. In fact it continued to be fine for four more years.

Thank you for your reply.

It was inconceivable to me that an experienced owner such as yourself would not have used this opportunity to renew the clutch. It's just that in post no.55 on the Military Fodens thread you say;

"I got drive for 50 miles then it went again. I readjusted the clutch and squeezed a further 9 years use out of it when it was pretty well well shot."

"I don't think I did bad to keep a knack'd clutch going 10 years"

It was in the light of these comments that I made my enquiry.

Mike, I suppose what I would really like to say to you is that I found your disparaging comments about Anita's vehicles unacceptable. Firstly, because as an owner of ageing metal yourself, you should know that engines do blow up, gearboxes do break and clutches do disintegrate whoever is at the wheel and even with well maintained preserved vehicles like yours.

Secondly, how is the forum to grow if new members like Anita, who has less than 10 posts, is subjected to comments she may have found humiliating to read in such a public place as this ? I hope she has accepted your apology and will continue as member of this forum but it would perfectly understandable if she never logs on again.

Pm sent. I hear what you say, but Anita has suggested she was outed from Diesel Heavy Haulage. This is not true. I find the suggestion that the professional team that run that section excluded her for "being Military" insulting. Anita chose to leave the section and display her Snowtrac instead.

The Antar engine episode cost me £4500 to sort out. It was cost as much as anything that led me to delay work on the clutch. I am a humble welder, earning Lincolnshire agricultural wages. Spending another £1000 to £1500 to sort the clutch on that occasion was not possible because of financial constraints. And, as I have said, the indicated wear on the clutch plates was within design limits and according to the book, the lining were not yet due for replacement.

Regarding apologies, As indicated in the pm, Anita has far more serious apologising to do to me!

Edited by antarmike

Grumpy, Anita clearly accuses the Section leaders at GDSF Heavy Hualage section (presumably ithis includes me) of having kicked her out from the Section( see Foden Gallery). This is completely untrue. I feel that she should apologise for the slur. She posted the accusation on the board,I am offended by it and I am asking for an apology on the same board. Is that unreasonable?

Anita has portrayed me as unfairly harrassing her, and she says has never done anything to me. She is trying to make me out to be unreasonble on the board, the villain if you like,,again I feel I have the right to show to all that Anita has been very rude and unco-operative to me at times. I feel I can say that on the board because it is rebuttle of what she has posted about me and her own behaviour towards me.

It is a principle of the press in GB that if someone is given an unfair press then they should have the right to reply in the same media.

Why don't you stop picking on me Grumpy, leave it to the Mods if they are unhappy....

You will see I posted the truth about Anita leaving the Section on the 10th and in that post I told Anita she was wrong about her accusation at that time. Looking At her user profile you will see that she was last active on the board on the 11th. I have to assume that she has seen my comments and chooses not to reconcider her acusation and give me an apology.

This I find a pity. I have appologised to Anita for any errors that I may have made in my posts. I am still waiting on her.

Edited by antarmike

And am I right that the first shot shows the Bridge plate painted on the front bumber on the nearside, instead of carrying a plate on the Rad Guard on the offside as normally pictured? Is the originaql clear enough o show the figure painted on it?

Mike, double click on the photo and all is revealed:)

Why don't you stop picking on me Grumpy, leave it to the Mods if they are unhappy....

Mike I am not picking on you, on the whole I find the majority of your posts informative and interesting, however some of your posts I find negative and misleading, on rare occasions you make direct attacks on other forum members. This makes me unhappy and I am sure other members also, I am purely voicing my opinion.

Mike I am not picking on you, on the whole I find the majority of your posts informative and interesting, however some of your posts I find negative and misleading, on rare occasions you make direct attacks on other forum members. This makes me unhappy and I am sure other members also, I am purely voicing my opinion.

Truce then??

Someone else has got the 1971 MVEE book then??!!

The one which says the Tranfer gearbox, like the main gearbox had 6 speeds and reverse!!!!

I don't know how you can tell a colour from a B+W photo, but the first Antar (the 3A) looks red to me.

Thornycroft had used red as a colour for show Antars at the commercial motor show before. I wonder if this is another painted that colour. It sure as ell isn't Bronze green....Looks like chrome horn, window frame etc....

Edited by antarmike

Someone else has got the 1971 MVEE book then??!!

The one which says the Tranfer gearbox, like the main gearbox had 6 speeds and reverse!!!!

Because, as with all books, I only look at the pictures I'd missed that......36 forward gears in total. Impressive. Some mountain bikes don't even have that many.