Scrap yard relics...

Jack

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to make a delivery today so thought would take a detour to get some more pics but in these sheltered areas still quite a bit of snow ,still 3 ft drifts at the road side , did not see the owner so only got a couple of pics that I missed last time ,, , got back to the A66 and down to Kirkby Stephen and had a quick look by a breakers yard because there used to be a radial engine there , could not not see anyone or the engine :cry: ,, spotted a Pinzgaur 6x6 once back on the road , headed for the M6 my pal liked the drive so much he kept going until Liverpool :-) ,, Unloaded the van then back on the M6 and liked the drive so much ended up past Carlisle picked some parts up and we got back in the van and I said to my pal Drive forest drive :-D back down the M6 over the tops on the A66 . When on the M6 spotted an ex military 6 wheel recovery truck like a Scammel Explorer at a house quite close , then on the A66 passed Warcop Ranges

Think this is the Coles crane with AEC running gear

silverbusplusyouthsdadsbuspics342.jpg

silverbusplusyouthsdadsbuspics32-1.jpg

Edited by phil munga

SD = Shelvoke & Drewry. They made a lot of municipal vehicles. I guess these people would like to know about it: http://www.shelvoke-drewry.co.uk/

I see their war output included:

30-ton Tank Recovery Trailers.

40-ton Multi-wheel Tank Transporters.

Radar Equipment Carriers.

Complete Submarines for the Royal Navy (?!)

Engine Room Gear for Landing Craft (including 2,800 cylinder blocks, 2,480 governors, 45,000 welded exhaust pipes.)

Driving Mechanism for Churchill Tanks, including more than 56,000 tank sprockets and wheels.

Bodies for 17-pounder Anti-Tank Guns.

Bomb Hoists for Bomber Planes.

Undercarriages and Landing Gear for more than 8,000 Aircraft.

Edited by Runflat
war output

Many thanks Runflat thats very interesting , I think the one above could have been a refuse truck ,,

The coles crane looked as though it just needed a couple of bateries and of course the windscreen cleaning

I'm sure I had a pic of another crane,from my last visit , not sure if ex Military , will have to search through pics

Edited by phil munga

Nice looking dumper and loader John , there used to be A Foden Half cab still at work in a quarry working on dust suppression up until the mid nineties , a lot of the quarry's went off them as the chassis would crack often meaning the end for the driver ,, one above I posted is a four wheeler , PM sent :-)

the chassis has been welded up on mine, other than that its in good order, its been to scorton vintage show not far from catterick north yorkshire giving a working demonstration in the gravel pits there, organised by classic tracks and trucks, video on youtube, type in foden dumper. pictures also on dave weedons web site classictracksandtrucks

That looks very interesting , does it use a light truck chassis and running gear or unique to that type of vehicle

It was built on Morris commercial 15cwt parts, chassis, axles, rear engined, MK1 4X2 MK2 4X4, the scrapyard one has had the top cut off

Edited by Nick Johns

couple more pics, it is located in herts

I remember seeing this in the yard about 20 years ago when looking for parts for a car,it certainly has not improved with age and if I remember correctly the yard owner was not the easiest to deal with

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

my friend went down there last saturday and asked how much , the reply was 3.500 thousand ,HOW MUCH WOTS A RESTORED ONE WORTH ?

I remember seeing this in the yard about 20 years ago when looking for parts for a car,it certainly has not improved with age and if I remember correctly the yard owner was not the easiest to deal with

Nigel

Morris Mk1/2 lt. recce cars are fairly thin on the ground these days and therefore a restored one or a good unrestored one will cost alot- probably at least the same as an unrestored Dingo or similar. I have to say that if the seller wants a good price then it should have been stored properly from the outset, then it would be reasonable to charge for value added- the original recovery costs, storage, rarity etc. I am quite surprised this type of scrap yard is still operating the ground seems to be dry earth and the vehicle doesn't look depoluted, doesn't the local Authority enforce EU regs?

Looking at the photos I would consider scrap value is about the best that should be asked, about 2tons x current steel value. To restore it will require remanufacture of a centre section and turret, front mudguards and the engine deck as it looks badly bent, but most worrying would be the state of the chassis members and drive shafts ,in the end how much will be original.

Like anything else the vendor has a right to ask whatever he likes, it is the vendee perogative to walk away - possibly the reason why its been there for over twenty years.

This is Rush Green Motors in Hitchen, Herts. I also have photos from around 20 years ago. There are literally thousands of derelict clasic trucks there, very hard to get in to just look round. Have a look and see if you can see it on google earth.

I did a search for the name "Les Oakes", scrap dealer collector but nothing came up.

Reason being is a photo on ebay of a modified hearse http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Daimler-DE-36-straight-eight-hearse-romany-caravan_W0QQitemZ190369419582QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item2c52e6d13e ....with something interesting in the background

I google earthed Cheadle, stoke on trent and found the yard, not enough detail to know what else is there.

Regards rog8811

Tank.jpg

I did a search for the name "Les Oakes", scrap dealer collector but nothing came up.

Reason being is a photo on ebay of a modified hearse http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Daimler-DE-36-straight-eight-hearse-romany-caravan_W0QQitemZ190369419582QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item2c52e6d13e ....with something interesting in the background

I google earthed Cheadle, stoke on trent and found the yard, not enough detail to know what else is there.

Regards rog8811

Google search architectural salvage : Les Oakes & Son , Hales View Farm Oakamoor Road , Cheadle , ST10 4QR . Managing Director - David Oakes . 01538 752126

Edited by snowtracdave
Added info .