Scrap yard relics...

Jack

Its the Churchill 3inch gun carrier 50 were built in 1942 T 31996 (prototype hull by Newton chambers) and S37272-S31321 built by Byer Peacock although S37272 and T 31996 may have been Vauxhall prototypes. They were to be used as a overfire gun to support the standard Churchills a few survived into the imeditate post war period as training vehicles.

These wrecks were dug out of an old range in Kent and some of the damage -gas cutting may infere post firing action of wall buster (early Hesh round)

Steve

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I was wandering round with dolly, here's some photomagraphical records of our adventures this morning:

Lots of tank wheels (there are some pallets of intact/new ones visible later on, they've got stacks of them)

It's got 6 wheels and it's ugly:

Image060.jpg

It's got 4 wheels and is really, really ugly:

Image061.jpg

Image062.jpg

Old Bedford, very ratty round the cab but looks like everything's there:

A big Petrol lump out of something, it's got a Rolls Royce sticker on it.

Image064.jpg

It may be big, have six wheels, but it sure ain't ugly....maybe a little disproportionately designed...~Saracens of all types are truly wonderful masterpieces of British engineering!!!,

And yes, I'd like a Sentinal Tug, aswell, please!!:-D

And here is a link to another section of the same site showing an abandoned Sherman tank (used for bulldozing sand) at the de Beers diamond mine in Namibia.

Apparently no vehicles are ever allowed to leave the site (as it might be possible to find diamonds in them!!) so there is a very big parking lot as can be seen from the images.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Q-PuSGjFHvY/SehOX2_Ef0I/AAAAAAAADyk/4_AIRm_2Geg/s1600-h/PJ011746.jpg

interesting site could end up spending far too much time peeking at all the other abandoned places .

You're not wrong there, abn! If you look under TRUCKS you'll find a nice set of the LeTourneau LCC-1 Sno Train at Fort Wainwright.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a Morris LRC, I visited the Scrapyard many years ago with Alex Scott, they wanted £2.500 then, It is in a bad way, engine and running gear are there but its a lot of work!! as you can see from the photos lots of the plate has been removed, it looks like it was used as a brakedown truck as there looks like there was a jib on the back.

ok you can guess this one....... and don't ask Mark

[ATTACH]26073[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26074[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26071[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26077[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26070[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26075[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26072[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26076[/ATTACH]

Didn't realise it was a quiz Mike :-)

Looks like a Gomba Stonefield field ambulance, assembled locally by Hicom Deftech ;)

just trying to keep you guys on your toes. I had no idea what it was until I got close. The whole front bit is a 4 inch deep fibreglass cover.

Looks like one of those huge waste of tax payers money type projects that occur.

• 2 weeks later...