Scrap yard relics...

Jack

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a search for the name "Les Oakes", scrap dealer collector

Sorry I didn't explain correctly, I meant I searched this forum to see if there was a mention of this yard, to see if it was known to the members. Nothing found.

Sadly the Sherman is plastic

It had me fooled!

Regards rog8811

I did a search for the name "Les Oakes", scrap dealer collector but nothing came up.

Reason being is a photo on ebay of a modified hearse http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Daimler-DE-36-straight-eight-hearse-romany-caravan_W0QQitemZ190369419582QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item2c52e6d13e ....with something interesting in the background

I google earthed Cheadle, stoke on trent and found the yard, not enough detail to know what else is there.

Regards rog8811

I drove past it this morning, it is just up the road from one of our factories (JCB) it is made of plywood and as you say os on a landrover chassis, It has been there a very long time it is just about to completly fall apart. Next time I pass I will call in and take a couple of pictures to post.

Les Oakes was pretty famous around the area, sadly he came to an untimely end, however he had built up a large collection which you used to be able to look round. There was a lot of horse drawn carriages of all types. Lots of smaller artifacts too. I remember the tank (in fact I didnt realise it wasnt a real one!) but dont recall much else in the way of military hardware, at least nothing big. The whole place was basically a salvage yard for building materials, plus anything that turned up from farm sales. I used to work at JCB too and drove past many times on the way to work. I think there was a sale last year and a lot of stuff was sold off.

Morris Mk1/2 lt. recce cars are fairly thin on the ground these days and therefore a restored one or a good unrestored one will cost alot- probably at least the same as an unrestored Dingo or similar.

If anyone buys it, I posted some piccys of a Morris recon car in another post in here and may be able to get measurements etc.

Also, I was in Germany last week and saw a Willy's Jeep chassis and was told "WWK2 Trailer of a Willy´s, there is also one further left , and there are also 5-6 original Dooge Trailer from WWK2"

Also a V12 Deutz generator set, good for than diesel Land Rover conversion :-D

Just in case someone is looking??

Regards the Landrover sherman;

Was the body fibre glass or plywood as two differing comments have been made?

What was the drive, did the tracks operate or were there wheels from the orginial Landy still in use?

what weight? It would be much easier to transport than an orginal to a show, that is aside from its width.

Then again otherwise how would you go about licencing it for the road and Mot?

Pleasant thoughts.

Doug

Actually I used the term plastic- as opposed to the "real thing". I'm showing my age here Airfix plastic kits in the 1960s had the slogan "just like the real thing" I did not intend my comment to be taken literally.

there would be a certain amount of GRP in the construction of the mock up especially around the "castings" like the turret etc. but most of the tank is plywood.

I would have no doubt that the mock up cannot be driven on the public road.

As to moving them around there was a story in Wheels and Tracks that a truck driver was "pulled over" by the plod on a motorway after a disgruntled car driver reported the trucker for overtaking him with two Sherman Tanks on a very undersize tractor-trailer unit.

The constable demanded to see his paperwork as he considered the two Shermans as an "over" and where were the firearms cert for the weapons? Evidently he was dumbfounded when the driver hopped up on the trailer and proceeded to rock the "30ton" Sherman with his hands.

agripper

Did any survive in better condition and if so where are they?

There was one in the Chobeton Collection in Devon in th early 1990s but it may be the same one as turned up at Bovington for a while about 1993-4. It is pretty remarkable that something built in 1976 out of plywood has lasted so long ,despite obvious neglect.

There were some interesting movie mock ups, Two T34 were converted to Tiger 1 for Saving private Ryan, similarly several T44s were converted to Tiger 1 for a Soviet epic in 1969. Other T34s-Tiger 1s were coverted in Yugoslavia for the 1970 Movie Kellys Heros. T54s was coverted to KV 1 for another Russian war movie. M4A1 Grizzlies were converted to Panzer 3 for failed Hollywood epic. It could make an interesting separate thread if further information/photos are forcoming.

Edited by steveo578

• 4 weeks later...
Here is an old Mack, slumbering away in East Anglia. The front winch has a hefty hydraulic drive taken from a concrete mixer truck barrel. The rear body looks like it was the original fitment, not a replacement job :confused:

The cab looks familiar but I just can't place it - military origin perhaps? The doors and quarterlight should give it away. The windscreen has been replaced at some stage, original was probably rectangular. Any ideas?

I'm led to believe this truck may be broken for scrap soon, anybody need any driveline parts?

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=10167&stc=1&d=1241462246

Saved today............the usual suspects involved.

DSCF8157..jpg

DSCF8175..jpg

DSCF8144..jpg

DSCF8154..jpg

Edited by gritineye

During my quest for parts needed during the restoration of my 1940 Dodge VF 1 1/2 ton, I came across this place...

A great number of US WWII trucks was hidden in between the bushes, the further I walked, the more I discovered. At some time, more than 34 Dodge WC54 ambulances were neetly lined up as if parked on purpose.

More than 60 Dodges WC51,52,62 and 63 poked their noses trough the weeds.

There must have been around 100 GMC's...

Now, 5 years later, the place is empty...

DSC00759..jpg

DSC00763..jpg

DSC00739..jpg

DSC00833..jpg

DSC00799..jpg

DSC00830..jpg

DSC00800..jpg

DSC00822..jpg

DSC00827..jpg

DSC00826..jpg

DSC00803..jpg

DSC00819..jpg