kirkstall forge axle and brake parts

roy meddings

• 3 years later...

Hi, Scammel Nubian chassis  with Kirkstall axles big bang from rear axle how do I check the half shafts?

Guessing it is half shafts as uncontrolled throttle ran up to max with brakes on in gear.

Many thanks indeed

Has it got a diff-lock?  If it has, engage it and make sure that it has engaged by looking at the mechanism.  If you now get a drive, you may have a broken half shaft on the other side from the diff lock.  It is quite easy to take the 'hub cap' off complete with the hub reductions.  No need to jack up. Just undo all the 1/2" bolts on periphery of the hub.  You will need two of them or two longer ones to pull the hub cap/plate off.   You will then be able to extract the half shaft and inspect it for damage. If a piece of the half shaft is left in the diff, you will have to repeat the exercise on the other side in order to be able knock the broken piece through.

It will be a lot more difficult to get the diff out for inspection and you will have to remove both half shafts in any case.  Therefore, use the diff lock to help diagnosis and then check half shafts.  It might be a hub reduction gone belly up.  I would imagine that Dave Crouch has some axles from breaking up DROPS.  For the gears, make sure that you have the right number of teeth!

John

Blimey John,

Thanks for your help indeed! I just tried the diff lock and got a clunking noise coming from near both hubs, no drive.

Luckily I have an identical donor vehicle (left picture unfortunately literally falling to bits now ) so Monday I shall be getting down in the weeds literally!

Many thanks

10b5_edited-1.jpg

Lydd MK10B 05.JPG

Well many thanks to John. Hubs off shafts out broken part pushed through with a pole, replacement shaft from spares donor, truck moving again. Start to finish 4 hours including 1 hour cutting bramble jungle from around donor coffee and lunch!

• Like 3