Kelsey Publishing (CMV) bought by Key Publishing (Military Machines)

simon king

It seems the aviation and military history portfolio of Kelsey Publishing, the publishers of Classic Military Vehicles has been bought by Key Publishing, the publishers of Military Machines. Anybody know if the two publications - which have different "feels" - will continue as separate publications or whether they will be combined?

sk

(Edit for clarification)

Edited by simon king

• 2 weeks later...
The final MMI came today. A very sad day. I would have though that the market could support two UK MV mags, but I guess not.

Next Month MMI and CMV will have merged. I will be interested to see what format the new publication will be in.

Given that the monthly MMI and CMV titles both replaced (and were a direct result of the demise of) the quarterly Wheels and Tracks following the death of BV, I am genuinely suprised that the market sustained two monthly magazines for so long, given the relatively small interest base.

Hopefully the new magazine will include the best of both. Interesting that Key have chosen the retain the former Kelsey title in the masthead, rather than use the title from their own stable.

Given that the monthly MMI and CMV titles both replaced (and were a direct result of the demise of) the quarterly Wheels and Tracks following the death of BV, I am genuinely suprised that the market sustained two monthly magazines for so long, given the relatively small interest base.

Good point. Interesting how the French market maintains many more very good magazines without a problem. Greater interest in MV's in France than in the UK or have forums like this replaced the magazines? I rate Windscreen very highly and that is moving to six publications a year now.

While its nice to get a new MV mag and have a read when you get a quiet moment, the price of these mags is creeping up towards being £5 and for that you can get a good book on a military subject at a discount book store or a second hand book shop. I bought Pat Ware's books on the Ferret and Hotchkiss M201 for £2 each in Brighton not so long ago.

• 2 weeks later...
The final MMI came today. A very sad day. I would have though that the market could support two UK MV mags, but I guess not.

Next Month MMI and CMV will have merged. I will be interested to see what format the new publication will be in.

This week I received the latest Vintage Roadscene magazine, this was published by Key Publishing, but now it is a Kelsey magazine. Looks like there has been some swapping of titles between publishers. Do hope they do not change it or merge it with another.

This week I received the latest Vintage Roadscene magazine, this was published by Key Publishing, but now it is a Kelsey magazine. Looks like there has been some swapping of titles between publishers. Do hope they do not change it or merge it with another.

I'll let you know once I've had a look at my Classic and Vintage Commercial mag if they mention the Roadscene. I have noticed the classified ads at the back of the mag have changed lately, suddenly a lot of tractor and caravan ads seem to have turned up, having escaped from their own Kelsey mags

While its nice to get a new MV mag and have a read when you get a quiet moment, the price of these mags is creeping up towards being £5

This is true & one of a several reasons I don't normally bother. But there are occasions when there is a really nice picture of something very rare & it is worth buying it for that picture alone. Expensive for a single picture perhaps, but this is the sort of figure one could easily have to pay to buy a picture from a museum.

Unfortunately modern journalistic practice seems to consider that it is clever to spread a nice picture across a spine so you can't cut it out or they superimpose text, paper clips or other photos over part of the picture you want. So that cuts down on the magazines I buy or club magazines I keep.

I am currently going through hundreds of magazines trying salvage nice unmolested pictures, but there are precious few.

While its nice to get a new MV mag and have a read when you get a quiet moment, the price of these mags is creeping up towards being £5 and for that you can get a good book on a military subject at a discount book store or a second hand book shop. I bought Pat Ware's books on the Ferret and Hotchkiss M201 for £2 each in Brighton not so long ago.

You chaps are lucky . Those mags are x 3 times the price by the time they get here to Australia . At around $15 at the newsagents here , I don't buy them . I usually read them at the newsagents and walk out !

There was a military vehicle magazine published in New Zealand of all places, back in the early 1980's . Mike

• 1 month later...

Interesting development............................

https://www.gov.uk/cma-cases/key-publishing-limited-kelsey-publishing-s-aviation-and-military-history-portfolio

The first edition of the "new" CMV seemed pretty much the same to me - with just MMI reference added to the front cover. What do others think?

sk

I have a SUBSCRIPTION on CMV which runs out after one more issue; I also used to buy MMI on an Ad Hoc basis but little of its content was interesting to me. Maybe it's my age and I am becoming a total moaner -but more and more errors are appearing in CMV- I find Pat Ware's articles lacking in content and rarely contain new images. They are often full of errors which show he actually has little real knowledge of the subjects, a classic is in his FORD article this issue he says all military Fords were badged Fordson but in all his images in the article its clearly Ford, his Gipsy article could have been much more informative with far more content on the Home Office use. He gives the two FV numbers allotted to the short & long wheelbase models, saying they were both termed the 4GM10 by Austin- sorry Pat the long wheelbase was designated 4GM15.

And then there was the series on US 6x4 & 6x6trucks of WW2- the author always gave litres in brackets after quoting capacities in Gallons- a pity his knowledge was so narrow that he didn't know a US gallon was a good bit smaller than an imperial one. I gave up writing to both magazines, MMI never acknowledged correspondence let alone publish it! Afraid I definitely won't be taking out another subscription to CMV.

Edited by ted angus

https://www.gov.uk/cma-cases/key-publishing-limited-kelsey-publishing-s-aviation-and-military-history-portfolio

The first edition of the "new" CMV seemed pretty much the same to me - with just MMI reference added to the front cover. What do others think?

sk

That's interesting. What will the end result of that be then?

Both magazines had a very different style. I enjoyed the more in depth articles, but that seems to be lacking in the latest CMV. New editor though, so give him time and hopefully things will pick up.

sk

The way I'm reading that it seems to indicate that both businesses should be continuing to trade independently, regardless of the same ownership?

Personally, I think its a total waste of the civil service time at the CMA, to investigate a magazine publisher that produces magazines, that despite the pleasure of reading them (or not as the case may be for Ted) are 'non essential items' so don't need investigating in the same way as a Newspaper & TV channel owner might need investigating if he owned every paper and broadcaster, that in turn might allow him to influence politics!