Kelsey Publishing (CMV) bought by Key Publishing (Military Machines)

simon king

Given that the monthly MMI and CMV titles both replaced (and were a direct result of the demise of) the quarterly Wheels and Tracks following the death of BV, I am genuinely suprised that the market sustained two monthly magazines for so long, given the relatively small interest base.

Bart told me Wheels & Tracks was never a big money maker, more a labour of love than anything else.

Apart from the fact that Bart's knowledge - let alone his personality - was very hard to replace, the fact that W&T was not making much profit meant the publisher ceased publishing it.

Do you think that it is only a matter of time before CMV goes the same way? One well known publisher said to me a while back that it is only a matter of time before everything goes on line and the magazine is consigned to the history books.

The greatest part of the cost of the magazine would be the printing which could I suppose be replaced by an on line version. Although the forums are great for sharing information I do not yet think that they can replace the magazines. There are several high quality French MV magazines. How do they make themselves pay?

As for an on line version, WHO or something similar could replace the magazines but then it would have to become subscription only to pay for in depth contributions to make it worthwhile for the readership to subscribe.

Just a thought.

• 2 months later...
It more enjoyable having the mag than just relying on the internet.

I certainly agree with that sentiment. If I was sitting up in bed with my laptop to read a magazine I might as well sit up in bed with laptop to do some work.

The new editor said that he was going to make the magazine just WW2 with a bit of post-war (although saying that he has published an article on Model T's this last Month). As he has not printed the two articles which I sent him I have taken my keyboard elsewhere and have just had a 6 page article published in Vintage Spirit - this time on the WW1 Fiat 15TER truck.

I certainly agree with that sentiment. If I was sitting up in bed with my laptop to read a magazine I might as well sit up in bed with laptop to do some work.

The new editor said that he was going to make the magazine just WW2 with a bit of post-war (although saying that he has published an article on Model T's this last Month). As he has not printed the two articles which I sent him I have taken my keyboard elsewhere and have just had a 6 page article published in Vintage Spirit - this time on the WW1 Fiat 15TER truck.

I personally think content is more important than format. I have always struggled though with magazines that have been converted to an online format - it just doesnt seem to work for me, but might work if designed that way from scratch I suppose.

I used to buy both mags pretty much every month, and on balance preferred MMI as it had more variety. I stopped buying as the prices kept going up but the amount of time it took me to read them got less and less. I get pretty much what I need now from this forum and some of the facebook groups.

One thought has just struck me though is that these mags were much more valuable and interesting to me when I first got into the hobby, and I am not sure a website would have pulled me in the same way - the point is you have to look for a website whereas a mag you might just happen to pick up while you are waiting for a train or similar...

As for the just WW2 thing...well I dont get that at all - why would you seek to reduce an already fairly niche circulation!?

If it went just WW2 with the odd bit thrown in, I'd cancel my subscription.

Although it is interesting to read about them, there are more than just WW2 vehicles on the scene.

I'd like more modern equipment to get a decent share of the pages, after all, lots of things are considered classics nowadays.

If it went just WW2 with the odd bit thrown in, I'd cancel my subscription.

Although it is interesting to read about them, there are more than just WW2 vehicles on the scene.

I'd like more modern equipment to get a decent share of the pages, after all, lots of things are considered classics nowadays.

I'm afraid I agree, I like reading detail on WW2 vehicles but how many articles can you print about Jeeps and Jimmies. I can understand how difficult it must be to keep the informed die hard collectors who have been in the hobby for 20 years interests placated against the more general readership who are learning. Difficult job! I wouldn't want to to do it!

• 3 weeks later...