Road Tax From October 2014

Insane... Putting it mildly.....

Article says losing the tax disc won't be a problem because you get the automated reminder through the past when tax is due. Do you b*ll*cks!! I've never had one for the Bentley, one of my old Saabs or my Landrover despite reporting this to DVLA more times than I care to remember!!

Yet another ill thought out law by a government good at it ! This will cost us the motorist AND the government more to implement than it saves ! Will we when claiming our tax back on selling a vehicle get ALL our remaining tax back or only the full months as it is now ? My guess is the latter so yet again the government makes money getting paid tax twice for one vehicle if say I sold my car on the 2nd of Jan and the new owner taxed it the same day :mad:

So if I sell my classic vehicle with its annual road tax of £0 I also have to send that back for a refund.

Lets see if I get it right.

I sell vehicle return tax disc DVLA process it and refund me £0

New owner applies for tax disc DVLA process it and issue a new tax disc for £0

DVLA receive £0

Yes that makes sense.

Bit like some cars that have £0 road tax but a small motorcycle has to pay.

I and new owner get a bit of agro. DVLA get I bet they spent a fortune on consultants to come up wuth this as a way to stop people not taxing the car 3 months after buying it with 3 months tax on it.

Mike

So if I sell my classic vehicle with its annual road tax of £0 I also have to send that back for a refund.

Lets see if I get it right.

I sell vehicle return tax disc DVLA process it and refund me £0

New owner applies for tax disc DVLA process it and issue a new tax disc for £0

DVLA receive £0

Yes that makes sense.

Bit like some cars that have £0 road tax but a small motorcycle has to pay.

I and new owner get a bit of agro. DVLA get I bet they spent a fortune on consultants to come up wuth this as a way to stop people not taxing the car 3 months after buying it with 3 months tax on it.

Mike

It also stops people who buy cheap vehicles with a bit of tax on and then don't bother to insure them

It also stops people who buy cheap vehicles with a bit of tax on and then don't bother to insure them

Don't see how that works because it is ALL going to be checked electronically so it won't make a blind bit of difference to the idiots who drive uninsured. The way this works unless ALL vehicle sales are done on the 31st of a month and the current tax surrendered that day the government are going to get the same vehicle if used continuously paying tax twice for at least one month. Once by its original owner and AGAIN by its new one ! :mad:

Don't see how that works because it is ALL going to be checked electronically so it won't make a blind bit of difference to the idiots who drive uninsured. The way this works unless ALL vehicle sales are done on the 31st of a month and the current tax surrendered that day the government are going to get the same vehicle if used continuously paying tax twice for at least one month. Once by its original owner and AGAIN by its new one ! :mad:

Short term 'visitors' to this country often buy cheap cars with tax in the window then FAIL to insure them and just chance it until the tax runs out. They are not bothered if caught because they do not inform DVLA that they even own the car. If caught they walk away on a false name

Short term 'visitors' to this country often buy cheap cars with tax in the window then FAIL to insure them and just chance it until the tax runs out. They are not bothered if caught because they do not inform DVLA that they even own the car. If caught they walk away on a false name

Well after Oct they won't even have to bother about having tax in the window either will they ? As I said earlier it is ALL going to be electronically checked so they will as you say " just chance it " with the tax as well . This is an ill thought out piece of legislation that will do NOTHING for the honest motorist and will make it difficult for genuine buyers and sellers alike >:( Oh and result in the double taxation of hundreds if not thousands of vehicles a year.

Well after Oct they won't even have to bother about having tax in the window either will they ? As I said earlier it is ALL going to be electronically checked so they will as you say " just chance it " with the tax as well . This is an ill thought out piece of legislation that will do NOTHING for the honest motorist and will make it difficult for genuine buyers and sellers alike >:( Oh and result in the double taxation of hundreds if not thousands of vehicles a year.

I agree , but they do do it, the tax will just be another way of getting extra months out of us all>:(

The 'Draft Clauses and Explanatory Notes' for the 2014 Finance Bill, which included the revisions to the vehicle tax system stated the reasons for making vehicle tax non transferable:

“It will no longer be possible to transfer the benefit of a vehicle licence when there is a change of registered keeper. As a consequence of this, where there is a new registered keeper he/she will be obliged to take out a new vehicle licence when the vehicle to which the vehicle licence relates is transferred to him/her. The reason for now preventing vehicle licences being transferred from registered keeper to registered keeper is to avoid a new registered keeper unknowingly keeping an unlicensed vehicle. For example, in the absence of a paper licence a vehicle may be purchased supposedly with the benefit of a vehicle licence. The new keeper would believe that the vehicle was licensed, but the former keeper could apply for a refund of VED without the knowledge of the new keeper resulting on the new keeper having an unlicensed vehicle.”

With respect and not wanting to turn this into a dreaded "P" word discussion - when has ANY form of Gov't ever done anything to help or assist the public, motoring or otherwise????

What it says on draft documents are the products of the fertile minds of the highly paid spin-doctors and never bear any resemblance to the reality behind the proposals... :-( :-(

Surely in our electronic age it should be possible for a " new keeper " to be able to check online if a prospective vehicle is taxed ? I believe you can already, this is NOTHING to do with unwittingly buying an unlicensed vehicle and ALL to do with extra revenue. If this idiotic idea becomes law then current owners must be refunded ALL over tax paid NOT just the full months left otherwise it is double taxation however the DVLA dress it up. >:( Ill thought out and decidedly dodgy. :red: Buying a car just got a lot harder.

A friend of mine's car is off-road being renovated - she has valid road-tax, hadnt bothered surrender the tax disc to reclain any pennies, or to SORN it - but... she's been fined for having no insurance on a taxed vehicle - even though its not been on the road, never left the inside of her garage and it would be physically impossible to drive the car on the road in its current state!

She assumed she was acting legally - working on the understanding that she only needed to insure a vehicle if it was being used on the public highway - this is apparently no longer the case - if it is taxed, it must be insured regardless of where it is kept. If off road, then it must be SORN'd if you plan not to insure.

Iv'e just picked this thread up..................Oh dear:cry: I would have thought that in today's world the HM Gov would have had more important things to concern it's self with rather than meddling and harassing the easy target that the motorist presents.

Tired and worn out of Wales

A friend of mine's car is off-road being renovated - she has valid road-tax, hadnt bothered surrender the tax disc to reclain any pennies, or to SORN it - but... she's been fined for having no insurance on a taxed vehicle - even though its not been on the road, never left the inside of her garage and it would be physically impossible to drive the car on the road in its current state!

She assumed she was acting legally - working on the understanding that she only needed to insure a vehicle if it was being used on the public highway - this is apparently no longer the case - if it is taxed, it must be insured regardless of where it is kept. If off road, then it must be SORN'd if you plan not to insure.

What one earth! I used to go away for 2 to 3 month periods and I would ring my insurance company and declare it off road, they would then refund my premium and on my return I would ring up and reactivate my insurance and pay the premium from that day until the end of the policy. I think they called it under cover fire and theft and it cost me ZERO to do this. That puts an end to that!

Next they will say that if your car is insured (A classic car in a museum?) you will need road tax, even if you have no intension of driving it! And then you can't get an MOT because it's not road worthy so you can't tax it, and now you can't tax, you can't insure it. And then theres a fire and the roof falls on it. Oh deer oh deer, what is happening to the world.

Yes it means that if the vehicle remains in the same ownership once it is SORNED it lasts indefinitely so there is no annual renewal. Obviously if you use and tax the vehicle you have to SORN it for a future period off road. If a vehicle has current tax it has to have insurance even if it is in a million pieces on your garage floor and the tax is free as in Historic vehicles. This was done to stamp out those who merely got a cover note taxed a vehicle and then cancelled the insurance once they acquired a tax disc.

I think this is a ludicrous piece of legislation. This is going to cause all of us trouble and inconvenience at some point. I am certainly going to discuss the matter with my local ( Conservative) MP. I hope he has something good to tell me !!!:(

I applaud the action, but I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you.

Pete