Road Tax From October 2014

Welcome to the club Tony!! :(:(

My problem is that they DON'T want me to have a medical! I renewed the mug shot on my licence last year, and in order to 'Align' the dates, my D licence is now till 2018 though the 5 year medical is due now. I've quiryed it, the Manger quiryed it, the Company have quriyed it! DVLA are adamant it is valid till 2018, no futher paperwork wanted till then. Or in other words 'We've cocked up big time! It will cost a fotune to put right, so ignore it, and it will dissapear in 5 years. :mad:

Next they will say that if your car is insured (A classic car in a museum?) you will need road tax, even if you have no intension of driving it! And then you can't get an MOT because it's not road worthy so you can't tax it, and now you can't tax, you can't insure it. And then theres a fire and the roof falls on it. Oh deer oh deer, what is happening to the world.

What you do in that case (likewise a vehicle you need to insure for show only use) is to SORN it and tell your insurance company the situation, the more enlightened ones will insure it using a identity number of their own, then it won't show up on any DVLA searches.

• 1 month later...

So it makes buying a vehicle awkard as the old owner will run it to the end of the month and claim back the full months SORN the vehicle and so it will not be insured or taxed so you can not test drive it and would have to be trailered home agggggggghhhhhhhh:undecided:

What you do in that case (likewise a vehicle you need to insure for show only use) is to SORN it and tell your insurance company the situation, the more enlightened ones will insure it using a identity number of their own, then it won't show up on any DVLA searches.

Thus the vehicle retains its covert status ;)

Change so often feels so difficult, and then one learns the new system. As I did when I came to Poland, where you have to get a new registration plate off the often inefficient local council every time you buy a car - and then there is the problem of renewal if a plate falls off the car and so on.

And then there is the fact that this city of 400 000 people has three tax offices, provincial government, local government and extra-local government, and on and on...

And, when I got married in church, I had to get a current copy of my christening certificate. I mean, not the original copy, but a current copy - from a parish church that has no permanent vicar.

Ah, yes, the fun of change...

trevor