mk6 cromwell

If? From what I've seen, there is no question as to if! :clap:

Thanks Adrian, that's very kind of you to say so. Although I'm beginning to wonder if the 3D printed running gear isn't going to make the rest of the tank look just a little shabby!:red:

Thanks Adrian, that's very kind of you to say so. Although I'm beginning to wonder if the 3D printed running gear isn't going to make the rest of the tank look just a little shabby!:red:

No no it looks wonderful I wouldn't change it to much otherwise you will never finish it, you can always make some parts 'stripable' for new improved bits just like the real thing.

Well good luck with it! Don't hesitate to ask me for photos of things that I can get at easily. I am sure every little bit helps.

I was doing a bit today in an awkward position and got a real bad attack of leg cramp, I shovelled a spoon of mustard down my throat and a banana, cramp is something I suffer from regular.

Edited by ashtonpete

No no it looks wonderful I wouldn't change it to much otherwise you will never finish it, you can always make some parts 'stripable' for new improved bits just like the real thing.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm trying to do just that so I can set it up in different configurations, either running over the bridge or simply being worked on by the REME! I'm hopeful that I shall have it finished very, very soon! Most everything is done it's just a case of putting it all together and painting her!

Well good luck with it! Don't hesitate to ask me for photos of things that I can get at easily. I am sure every little bit helps.

Thanks Pete and I'll post up some more pics when I get the running gear on her!

Cramp, arrgh! Nothing worse when you're in a confined space!! I used to suffer from it a lot as well, sometimes it would just come on when I was in bed. I'd wake up, stretch and suddenly wham! Then there's be the mad dash to get my foot on something cold to relieve the cramp!

I shovelled a spoon of mustard down my throat and a banana, cramp is something I suffer from regular.

And that works? I will have to remember that one.

I was SO relieved when I read throat, though, thought it was going to be something eye watering with a ferret chaser...:-D

Lovely. How did you guys get on cutting off the welded on blank and extracting the cut off original bolts?

Does it look better on a Cromwell than a shelf Adrian :-)

Rick, how easy are BESAs to find? I don't think I ever saw one at the Deact collectors shows at the national Motorcycle Museum back in the 90s. Bet they aren't cheap.

Edited by ajmac

I am going back to do a few hours now as I need to drop the tickover, there doesn't appear to be an adjustment screw as the carbs are inaccessable under the water cooled inlets. The manual is a bit iffy and not very descriptive on the simplest of things like a tickover screw. Either that or I need new glasses.

Had to remove rockers and torque head down further as a leak of water was spitting out of the left exhaust manifold, I torqued down to 130lbs ft and 115 on the end bolts as advised by Flight Engineering. All seems to be well now and running fine apart from fast tickover.

IMG_0942_zpsff6bf27f.jpg

IMG_0939_zps411997bc.jpg

Edited by ashtonpete

Stillage, Alastair, stillage. I'm more organised than that you know!

Oh I never realised shelves were considered a disorganised method of storage, I guess I will have to reassess my entire approach.... Now, where to start....

Pete what's that stuff in the cam cover? Just water/oil scum?

Lovely. How did you guys get on cutting off the welded on blank and extracting the cut off original bolts?

Alastair

The answer to that is with great difficulty, that chrome weld is hard to cut through with a cutting wheel, The bolts were then drilled out and re-tapped. The forklift had to be employed to get it on as its very heavy.

Alastair

The answer to that is with great difficulty, that chrome weld is hard to cut through with a cutting wheel, The bolts were then drilled out and re-tapped. The forklift had to be employed to get it on as its very heavy.

Rick......that sounds expensiiiiiiiive !

john it wasn't too bad as i cut off the blanking plate myself with a stihl saw, the only expense was a couple of cutting discs and a couple of hours of graft. it was interesting to note that the weld hadn't penetrated/fused very well. once i got a cut big enough for a chisel i could peel the weld off although i did use a sledge hammer and a bit more general grinding and mauling.

alastair the besa's are a rare beast and quite expensive, the last one i saw on milweb was £2k although i have seen them for £800 before now. i would like a couple of originals but i'll have to settle for a repro barrel so it will at least look right externally.

rick

I doubt in this country we are allowed to fart through a gun barrel and ignite it. I'm sure we can improvise though with some form of device. As I think back to early 90s with a Grizzly, we used Thunderflash or Maroons shoved in the breech at some event.

Just dug this up... A much younger me driving with our mate Phyll Baker to my right who sadly passed away a couple of years ago around Xmas Eve. The guy above was just an interloper. lol

M4A1.jpg

Edited by ashtonpete

I doubt in this country we are allowed to fart through a gun barrel and ignite it. I'm sure we can improvise though with some form of device. As I think back to early 90s with a Grizzly, we used Thunderflash or Maroons shoved in the breech at some event.

Just dug this up... A much younger me driving with our mate Phyll Baker to my right who sadly passed away a couple of years ago around Xmas Eve. The guy above was just an interloper. lol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77166[/ATTACH]

The guy above is Roy ? The tank was called Maine ? Question is where was Mr Grumbly ?

john it wasn't too bad as i cut off the blanking plate myself with a stihl saw, the only expense was a couple of cutting discs and a couple of hours of graft. it was interesting to note that the weld hadn't penetrated/fused very well. once i got a cut big enough for a chisel i could peel the weld off although i did use a sledge hammer and a bit more general grinding and mauling.

alastair the besa's are a rare beast and quite expensive, the last one i saw on milweb was £2k although i have seen them for £800 before now. i would like a couple of originals but i'll have to settle for a repro barrel so it will at least look right externally.

rick

I'll keep an eye open for you, I've seen quite a few in the past. Is it the 7.92mm or the 15mm? I'm assuming the 7.92mm.

The guy above is Roy ? The tank was called Maine ? Question is where was Mr Grumbly ?

Yes it is Roy, The tank was called 'Maine' a B Squadron tank of Ist Northants Yeomanry and Mr Grundy is taking the photograph....

kevin i'd be happy with a deac main gun never mind a live one but at this rate if i don't come up with something soon i'll end up with a bloody lamp post sticking out the mantlet. :(

chris thanks for the offer of help, i need the 7.92mm besa

cheers

rick

we had a gearbox oil leak that showed itself once we had run the engine up a few times. i had hoped it would go away but if anything it seemed to get worse so the decision was made to pull the box and change the input seal. the box came out without too much trouble yesterday but on inspection the leak was not down to the input seal but had come thru 3 drillings on the input flange ,these bypassed the seal which was a little perplexing as why have an oil seal if the oil is free to flow passed it, after a bit of head scratching we looked at the clutch shaft and found the answer. the holes are there to allow a small amount of oil to pass thru and lubricate the bearings that support the splined shaft coupling and it was infact the seal at the rear of the coupling which is buried deep in the clutch which had failed. the new seal will be fitted on monday and the box can go back in.

the first pic shows the gearbox lying on it's back with the input flange shown, you can see the 3 bypass holes.

the second pic shows the clutch shaft with 3 holes to accept the oil.

the third pic shows the other end of the clutch shaft with the offending leather oil seal removed.

the fourth pic shows the the clutch shaft, the splned shaft coupling fits over this shaft.

the other pics show the brake drum and muff coupling

002.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

012.jpg

004.jpg

On the re-instalation, I'll make sure this time that I pack the gaps with cloths so I don't lose any more spanners underneath the box and belly plates. I was lucky to get them back on this occasion.

Edited by ashtonpete