mk6 cromwell

On the re-instalation, I'll make sure this time that I pack the gaps with cloths so I don't lose any more spanners underneath the box and belly plates. I was lucky to get them back on this occasion.

that's probably why one can find some tools and accessories when dismounting everything in a tank that needs to be restored. I remember some members of Fort Knox museum to have found various items in the M4A3E2 Jumbo "Cobra King" during its restoration, some can be seen there :

http://www.armorfortheages.com/NACM/NACMmain/Projects/CobraKingProject/CKProjectPage11.htm

http://www.armorfortheages.com/NACM/NACMmain/Projects/CobraKingProject/CKProjectPage14.htm

P-O

On the re-instalation, I'll make sure this time that I pack the gaps with cloths so I don't lose any more spanners underneath the box and belly plates. I was lucky to get them back on this occasion.

During my service with REME I lost plenty of tools in vehicle hulls but eventually had anything that lent itself to it on a length of string for easy recovery. Saved me a few quid over the years.

Steve.

Well I have learned a valuable lesson for very awkward positions. Using old suite cushions and tons of anything spongy to kneal on and emptying my pockets for going in head first. I can only imagine the consequences if I lost my beemer keys with the cost of replacement.

I have just realized what I said above hasn't anything to do with screwing the missus.

Edited by ashtonpete

Some more fantastic pics of parts not normally seem in restorations, this really is a very valuable thread indeed!

Incidentally, I believe the RE drill holes through the centre of all their spanners and tools and then tie them to their person when working. Essential in their game as when they drop a spanner it goes to the bottom of the River that they're trying to bridge!

Some more fantastic pics of parts not normally seem in restorations, this really is a very valuable thread indeed!

Incidentally, I believe the RE drill holes through the centre of all their spanners and tools and then tie them to their person when working. Essential in their game as when they drop a spanner it goes to the bottom of the River that they're trying to bridge!

I do a lot of work on the oil rig jetties at Shell Refinery (Now Essar!) and basically all y0ou have to stand on is a metal mesh grill and the River Mersey below. Gets a bit expensive in spanners and large adjustables so I have started tying lengths of string to my tools and onto my person or piece of kit im working on. saving a fortune in tools even if I do look daft!!! Prob is if I fell in I would sink like a lead balloon!!!!:-D

• 4 weeks later...

The big exhaust Normandy cowl that fits on the back needs fabricating from scratch and I will need dimensions. I would appreciate any help whatsoever of measurements. Also I need to gather together some tools, track adjusting bar and other bits that strap to sides. I'll see if the book tells me anything but I doubt it.

Edited by ashtonpete

The 'Normandy Cowl' is the deflector that Cromwells had on the rear of the tank to deflect the exhaust plume backwards. As built, the exhaust goes out vertically, not very tactical amongst the hedgerows!

It is often written that the cowls were to prevent the exhaust from being sucked into the hatches and gassing the crew when the tanks were lined up. I do not accept that as the likely origin of the cowl though as no air is drawn through the hatches, unlike Sherman and directing it backwards merely gasses the crew behind.....

I believe it to be for tactical reasons in that the exhaust plume, particularly on starting up is very visible and gives away your position.

Initially, the deflectors were 'home made' from anything available, I have even seen pictures of cut in half jerrycans used. Eventually, the official cowl was adopted and starts to appear in action by late summer 1944. Comet had one from the start, though with a slot in the centre for the gun when in it's crutch.

whitecromwells0001.jpg

Edited by Adrian Barrell

The 'Normandy Cowl' is the deflector that Cromwells had on the rear of the tank to deflect the exhaust plume backwards. As built, the exhaust goes out vertically, not very tactical amongst the hedgerows!

It is often written that the cowls were to prevent the exhaust from being sucked into the hatches and gassing the crew when the tanks were lined up. I do not accept that as the likely origin of the cowl though as no air is drawn through the hatches, unlike Sherman and directing it backwards merely gasses the crew behind.....

I believe it to be for tactical reasons in that the exhaust plume, particularly on starting up is very visible and gives away your position.

Initially, the deflectors were 'home made' from anything available, I have even seen pictures of cut in half jerrycans used. Eventually, the official cowl was adopted and starts to appear in action by late summer 1944. Comet had one from the start, though with a slot in the centre for the gun when in it's crutch.

you are probably right Adrain having seen the plume of dust the fans can push up from the Comet, but all so on one exercise many years ago I was commanding a Ferret Mk2when a smoke grenade was dropped on the engine deck and settled between the exhaust shield and the armour , the smoke did go straight up but was also sucked in every hatch . when I looked down in side the vehicle from the gunners seat where I sat all I could see was thick green smoke . Some where in that smoke was my driver. I thought at the time it was interesting to see how much air the fans etc drag through the fighting compartment.

Re the Normandy Cowl, here's an interesting little video which I found on British Pathe

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=53387

There's a lot of stuff in here but at 2:02 minutes and afterwards there's a shot of a Cromwell crossing a Bailey Bridge. What's of interest here is the shape of the Normandy cowl which you just see a close-up of as it goes by. A field modification no doubt and quite different from the ones normally seen!

I've never been sure if the Normandy Cowl was a pre-invasion design or a field mod that was made from cut-down wading stacks. But I'm happy to bow to Adrian's superior knowledge on the subject and have it confirmed as a post-invasion field mod:)

And another curiosity can be seen if you single step through the stills (you'll see a link to the stills on the right side of the video window). At Still 100 - 105 there's a couple pics of a section of British Infantry walking along a hedgerow. They're being led by a Lance Jack who is carrying a Sten and wearing the standard universal pouches. But the interesting thing is that none of the rest of the section are wearing universal pouches, they look like they're wearing '37 pattern cartridge carriers. I didn't know these were still being used by Normandy period!

I've never been sure if the Normandy Cowl was a pre-invasion design or a field mod that was made from cut-down wading stacks. But I'm happy to bow to Adrian's superior knowledge on the subject and have it confirmed as a post-invasion field mod:)

I suspect the need for it was not appreciated before Normandy and the wading trunking precluded fitting it anyway. It is clear from pictures that originally the solution was very ad-hoc but presumeably the 'official' design came in quite quickly.

I suspect the need for it was not appreciated before Normandy and the wading trunking precluded fitting it anyway. It is clear from pictures that originally the solution was very ad-hoc but presumeably the 'official' design came in quite quickly.

Thanks for that Adrian, I haven't quite gotten to the cowl yet and have only thought about it obliquely, if at all. My Cromwell will have a Normandy Cowl of course but I'm still not sure if I'll go for the 'official' design or the ad-hoc design as shown in the video above! I sort of favour the ad-hoc design for a little extra authenticity but then that idea is tempered by the realisation that I'll have to spend a lot of time explaining to 'certain folks' why it's the 'wrong' shape!:-D

... that idea is tempered by the realisation that I'll have to spend a lot of time explaining to 'certain folks' why it's the 'wrong' shape!:-D

And the fact that the type of rivets or welding was incompliant with that available to a REME field unit at the time. :-D

Thanks for that Adrian, I haven't quite gotten to the cowl yet and have only thought about it obliquely, if at all. My Cromwell will have a Normandy Cowl of course but I'm still not sure if I'll go for the 'official' design or the ad-hoc design as shown in the video above! I sort of favour the ad-hoc design for a little extra authenticity but then that idea is tempered by the realisation that I'll have to spend a lot of time explaining to 'certain folks' why it's the 'wrong' shape!:-D

Can't wait to see it finished, but will you have the kettle and other accoutrements as shown in the photo hanging off the back?

Steve.

Quick question if I may; does anyone know if the roadsprings and shock absorbers carried any makers marks? I assume not as you really wouldn't want to aid enemy intelligence by letting them know which factory manufacturers vital components, but I just thought I'd check before I finished making my own model shocks and road springs? I've tracked down the Newton logo and can print it to put on the shocks, (in that brass colour they used to use back then). Just not sure I ought to? Here's a wee pic to show you what I've been doing!

mysprings-1.jpg