mk6 cromwell

Rick,

might I suggest 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars, recce unit to 7th Armoured, and tank name could be Abbess of Chantry a well photographed 8th KRIH Cromwell that survived to take part in the Berlin Victory parade. It would also give you the opportunity to wear the 8th KRIH distinctive tent hat for officers, (the only item of army headress worn without a cap badge other than with combat uniforms) something which is still worn today by a small cadre of Officers within The Queen's Royal Hussars, indeed there are photographs on the net of the tent hat being worn in Iraq during the last land war there.

The 8th KRIH fought with distinction throughout WWII but also have an illustrious history stretching all the way back to the Wars of Spanish Succession. They also fought in Korea!

The 8th KRIH were amalgamated in 1958 with the 4th Queens Hussars to form the The Queens Royal Irish Hussars. This regiment was, in 1993, amalgamated with The Queens Own Hussars to form the The Queen's Royal Hussars (The Queen's Own and Royal Irish), which is now the senior UK armoured regiment.

And just to give you a bit of background you can do no better than Bill Bellamy's book about his time with 8th KRIH from Normandy to Berlin. Called "Troop leader: A Tank Commanders Story"; it's a pretty good read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Troop-Leader-Tank-Commanders-Story/dp/0750945346/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373815187&sr=8-1&keywords=Bill+Bellamy+troop+leader

Edited by Old Git
spolling

According to "Villers Bocage through the lens" the 7th Armoured Division were the only British division to use the Cromwell as their main fighting vehicle (although other used them as part of the division or as an independent unit). One of the Cromwells in the book is called "Shufti Cush" (looking good).

There are a some good photos of Cromwells in the book if you've not seen it already.

FYI Shufti cush does not mean looking good... it means show me your fanny in Arabic...

You also have Alla Keefak- take it easy...

Ala Kareem- Giving/being generous or forebearing...

I have been tempted to put Shufti.. on my HSC when I have 44th RTR markings on it, might go with something more appropriate though :)

Edited by lssah2025

Here's Rick taking a pose for the Milweb photographer which will be seen from a different angle when published as this is my shot. Just in case you didn't know Rick has won an award off Milweb for best classic vehicle at the show.

Cromwellinallitsglory_zpseea71638.jpg

Had a great day at the show, thanks to Rick I managed a unique experience, a trip around in a Cromwell. Might never manage that again in my life, expecially the beer with the guys on the stinking hot engine deck after the run!

9330638647_8834dc426e.jpg

9330639531_1834c89b40.jpg

9333434314_28a1b87086.jpg

9333434826_70bfe1b205.jpg

9330646113_8ca07ed9df.jpg

Edited by ajmac