Pinzgauer Rebuild

fesm_ndt

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well seems like a good day today as sent the 'new' injection pump for a service then started diassembling the 6x6 P93 diffs.

The previous 6x6 owner installed new brake pads or they blew the truck up just after installing them :D

[ATTACH]36881[/ATTACH]

So the plan is to pressure wash this pile of goodies and rebuild them tomorrow.

[ATTACH]36879[/ATTACH]

Edited by fesm_ndt

I was a bit suspicious about one of the hubs as saw that it had been reassembled and a seal looked dodgy, so decided to look inside :shocked:

[ATTACH]36917[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36914[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36916[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36915[/ATTACH]

Looks like reassembled and driven without a bearing

Well the guys spent most the day moving assorted Pinz spares around the yard. The 6x6 is nearly all gone.

They removed my front axle so I can do the replacement on the weekend, but no photos[ATTACH]37015[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37016[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37017[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37018[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37019[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37021[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37022[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37023[/ATTACH]

The reason I am pulling the diffs out and apart is the axles are fully articulating and have a seal at the diff casing. My ones started leaking after I did an oil change (typical) and the only way to change them is to completely diassemble the diffs. On most pinz there is an o-ring seal but on the P93 axles they use some fancy loctite sealent (apparently much better).

[ATTACH]37154[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37160[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37157[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37161[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37153[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37162[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37156[/ATTACH]

Leave them in the sun to cure

[ATTACH]37159[/ATTACH]

I had hoped to finish the front one and install today but the diff casings have been coated in under body sealant which took ages to clean off for one. So tomorrow I will high pressure wash the bits that need painting.

[ATTACH]37155[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37158[/ATTACH]

Some lovely pics there - I've always thought the Pinz diffs were a really beautiful design. Are the gears on the stub axles actually curved inwards towards the planet gears in the middle, or is that just a trick of the camera angles? I dread to think how long they spent designing them! :nut:

Stone

Some lovely pics there - I've always thought the Pinz diffs were a really beautiful design. Are the gears on the stub axles actually curved inwards towards the planet gears in the middle, or is that just a trick of the camera angles? I dread to think how long they spent designing them! :nut:

Stone

A better picture here of it getting reassembled, there is some taper on it so they can swivel up and down. Got the front diff back in 'but' it's not seating properly, so will have to finesse it tomorrow

[ATTACH]37247[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37246[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37245[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37243[/ATTACH]

Axles are out of the second diff so this will be rebuilt as a rear one

[ATTACH]37244[/ATTACH]

There are other ways that they'll be seen mate ! Hope it never happens to you though !:-D

He seemed to be having a wow of a time. I like my playing but I hope not to be upside down that often :D

I always thought this video of a Pinz is crazy also

Edited by fesm_ndt

• 4 weeks later...

Well last weekend was a waste of time with jetlag, flu and half a day of nothing going right.

Started today to put the front springs back in but the spring compressor threads failed so had to order another :banghead:. Very nerve wracking anyway as a lot of force in the springs and to have the threads die is not reassuring as how ever way you do it you are in the line of fire if it seriously fails.

Got most the front frame in, front bumper and winch back on BUT original front bar dont fit so have to rebuild the P93 one.

[ATTACH]38361[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38362[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38363[/ATTACH]

Felt a bit better today with at least half a day of progress. Long weekend so 3 days to go.

Off to see Harry Potter, hopefully learn some magic so the Pinz is in one piece sooner than later

Edited by fesm_ndt

Slow day today as the labour sorted out a lot of the bits.... Now I can't find the bits I need!!!

[ATTACH]38412[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38409[/ATTACH]

A bit of detail, "perhaps to much" :-). The Pinz radiator covers tend to bounce around as only held by self tappers and spring nuts at the top. This results in lots of paint damage. So I removed the spring nuts and put in rivnuts (hopefully haven't created another problem).

[ATTACH]38411[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38410[/ATTACH]

So I removed the spring nuts and put in rivnuts (hopefully haven't created another problem).

Well all bolted on very well and the radiator nose grille wire is in so the yellow intercooler is not so evident.

[ATTACH]38446[/ATTACH]

Been painting all the unpainted bolt off bits. Tailgate needs adjusting but required a non typical allen key size, so got that, therefore a lunch job tomorrow.

[ATTACH]38448[/ATTACH]

Picked up a new spring compressor tool and made a special adaptor for them which I will try out first thing tomorrow.

[ATTACH]38447[/ATTACH]

Well spring idea didn't work as spring compressor bolts to short :cry:. So will have to try something different next weekend

At least the body is comming back together

[ATTACH]38476[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38474[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38475[/ATTACH]

Well Gimpy is back on 4 wheels again. Tried out the G wagen rims but look to bling bling for what I want. I had sent the original rims to be painted black and they came back like this so I been in a bit of a quandry about it. The tyres are fantastic though, brand new

[ATTACH]38614[/ATTACH]

So put the rusty green buggers back on :D

[ATTACH]38615[/ATTACH]

However just to mess with my head further a set of mine resistant rims are again coming my way, which is good, fantastic in fact. Bad point is my new tyres above cannot be used so will have to buy another set which will count for 3 new sets of tyres in a year :nut:

Major tasks left, or the ones I am most dreading are:

- fit rebuilt P93 injection pump and rear timing belt

- fit new water pump and front timing belt

- fit rebuilt rear diff

then all down hill, aircon, canvas, roofrack, mod the electrics, mudflaps, seats, difflocks, etc, etc, etc

Well half day today, just wasn't in the mood as feeling a bit knackered. Changed the fuel filter, was quite suprised how clean the diesel was that came out. I collected it in the bottle to see if dirty plus if ok put it back in the new filter as makes repriming easier.

[ATTACH]38640[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38637[/ATTACH]

Exposed the front timing belt, but figured I need some nice foam pillows to line up the timing marks as I need to lie accross the cab.

[ATTACH]38639[/ATTACH]

Heard a rustling under the adjacent pinz, as am ever paranoid about more snakes but it was just a big monitor lizard (most likely snacking on our goldfish pond)

[ATTACH]38638[/ATTACH]

Intriguing, as ever. Can you tell us why there is both a front and rear timing belt, please? Sorry to be a numpty, if you have mentioned it before.:embarrassed:

No idea really, possibly so engineers can overcomplicate things. The only logical thing I can think of is to reduce the with of the engine as the front one drives the water pump and cam. The rear one is attached to the cam and drives the fuel pump.

I do find it daft that the water pump is driven by the timing belt though as it now becomes a huge task to change or get a peek at the water pump. I would guess to swap both belts, the water pump and injection pump I am looking at close to 1/2 inch of reading in the manual in 3 different sections :shocked: so it is on the complicated end

The 6 Cylinder engine is from Volkswagen and is developed on the 4 cylinder. Volkswagen added more cylinder , to the 5 and later to the 6cylinder in Bloc-Building wise. The main construction is a Petrol engine and in this way the 6 cylinder has the timing belt at the front of the engine. This Belt is for the connecting from crankshaft to camshaft and the waterpump. The second ,the rear Timing Belt is only for connecting the camshaft to the injektion pump.

The 6 Cylinder engine is from Volkswagen and is developed on the 4 cylinder. Volkswagen added more cylinder , to the 5 and later to the 6cylinder in Bloc-Building wise. The main construction is a Petrol engine and in this way the 6 cylinder has the timing belt at the front of the engine. This Belt is for the connecting from crankshaft to camshaft and the waterpump. The second ,the rear Timing Belt is only for connecting the camshaft to the injektion pump.

If everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagon......Das Auto!;)

It kinda makes sense ie the diesel version has orginated from the petrol version so for lack of a better word the fuel injection pump is an 'after thought' and put on the back.

Mind you the original Land Rover diesel is a derivitave of the petrol and the injection pump is at the front off the one timing belt. But this increases the width of the engine more than the VW one, so everything has it's good and bad points

I

Mind you the original Land Rover diesel is a derivitave of the petrol and the injection pump is at the front off the one timing belt. But this increases the width of the engine more than the VW one, so everything has it's good and bad points

Sorry, but that's not strictly true - the original 2litre and 2.25litre diesels were derived from the petrol versions, but the injection pump mounted into the distributor hole and was driven off the camshaft via a skew-gear.

The 2.5litre has the pump at the front, driven by a toothed timing belt.

John

Sorry, but that's not strictly true - the original 2litre and 2.25litre diesels were derived from the petrol versions, but the injection pump mounted into the distributor hole and was driven off the camshaft via a skew-gear.

The 2.5litre has the pump at the front, driven by a toothed timing belt.

John

I forgot the 2.25 was on the side, yes my mistake. I wonder how many engines were petrol and 'simply' modified to diesel as the 2.25 diesel was not that spectacular.