Pinzgauer Rebuild

fesm_ndt

Another day with a few things done

- finished the oil change (with no mess - but cannot locate the required oils for the axle drives - yet!)

- completely wired up the winch solenoid (dont work but thats the electricians problem :cool2:)

- reinstalled the vacuum tanks under passenger floor (it took hours as the former bolts were seized in and would only move a 50th of a turn with each bite of the vice grips).

- tinkered with the electrical axa and locking system, went for a spin (still has some glitch, back to the wiring diagram)

- bled the power auto steering and it looked like a milkshake with all the bubbles (now have a small leak so have to take the spare for a rebuild :cry:)

- put the LH floor in

- mounted the aircon (ok it's sitting there on top of bottle caps :-D)

[ATTACH]24174[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24172[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24171[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24173[/ATTACH]

Edited by fesm_ndt

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like it's coming along great. Why oh why do people over tighten oil filters? I do up the spin on ones by hand (very lightly) and then just a 1/4 extra turn. This ensures removal by hand (with latex gloves that are very grippy).

I see the filter elements were blacker than tar, that filter must have been on for years!!

Making progress , thats great. Your Pinz is looking darn good and will soon have a working air conditioner too ? super

I wish, I just gaffer taped some bottle caps underneath to see how much I got to cut and modify it :-D

[ATTACH]24179[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24178[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24177[/ATTACH]

Looks like it's coming along great. Why oh why do people over tighten oil filters? I do up the spin on ones by hand (very lightly) and then just a 1/4 extra turn. This ensures removal by hand (with latex gloves that are very grippy).

I see the filter elements were blacker than tar, that filter must have been on for years!!

Yeah never seen one on that hard before and yes looks like it's been on there for years. Maybe was a date on the can somewhere, but took some effort to clean it that far.

Well another productive day, whilst my helper was doing mundane tasks like reinstalling, headling and bolting in the rear mesh, I was busy with the mundane also:

- fitted an Oil pressure gauge (not wired in yet as waiting on some parts, but looks good)

- correctly rewired the tactical light switch (followed the original instalation - not wise here :nut:)

- refitted the dash

- all lights working :-D in the correct sequence

[ATTACH]24591[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24595[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24590[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24594[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24592[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24593[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24596[/ATTACH]

I think my helper was hiding, and I finally got around to installing the gearstick bootS

yes boots, so we have:

- transmission tunnel (with nut inserts)

- lower boot frame

- lower boot

- sound/heat blanket

- upper boot (same as the lower boot coincidently)

- upper boot frame

It is very hard to get the screws to line up through this sandwich of bits. Tried double sided tape, different aligning tools i.e. pointy bits.

Today bought 12 overlength screws, cut the heads off, aligned everything a piece at a time. Then removed one at a time and tightened each screw, starting beside the corners.

very happy to have this hole filled, as a lot less noisey and hot

[ATTACH]24600[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24598[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24597[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24599[/ATTACH]

A quick wash so can start again tomorrow on more of those little bits :cool2:

[ATTACH]24604[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24606[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24605[/ATTACH]

Thanks for sharing Mike :)

Keep it coming...

Rgds

Azli - (we met last weekend at CB's place..hehe)

Great job I m sure it never had it so good in its military life , a workout and a long shower !

The missus wash my hair when I got home, that why I call her special :-D

Well today ripped the glove box out to remount the air compressor switch and to tidy up the wiring for the new winch solenoid internal location.

Also put the tactical signs on for the photo (I believe I was the only guy that got a set as most were painted on or destroyed).

[ATTACH]24638[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24637[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24636[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24635[/ATTACH]

Also 'pimped' my jack..... the intent was a quick wipe with thinners and paint

but the thinners took the primer off also

So a coat of Hammerite olive drab. Have to admit not a fan of Hammerite but the green went on ok

I mean this was a necesscity as imagine the embarassment of having a flat tyre in an Army truck and only having a blue jack :red:

[ATTACH]24639[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24641[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24640[/ATTACH]

Finally a bit more 'pimping' with some touch ups and stencils

Off on another trip, so hopefully some other tidy ups will get done this week.

[ATTACH]24643[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24646[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24645[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24644[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24642[/ATTACH]

Well arrived back from a 12 hour flight and after a quick snooze prepped the Pinz for tomorrows junkyard trip.

Whilst away my workshop box arrived and is full of missile repair parts :cool2: (amazing customs didn't wonder)

[ATTACH]24806[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24808[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24807[/ATTACH]

I like the new tire pattern , look just the thing for climbing those slopes .

They came in the box from UK as near on impossible to get 16 x 8 tyres here....... Bronco Grizzlys..... Look more military also :D

Also did my road trip today to the junk yards...(that I will post after I am washed up, 2.5 hours up, 2 back no aircon "hence the non mil spec fans" and covered in filth from boxes) and some sneak peaks of missile testing gear (I am told my box is a missile test workshop)

[ATTACH]24822[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24821[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24823[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24824[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24820[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24818[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24815[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24814[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24817[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24816[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24819[/ATTACH]

That gave your vehicle a good work out thats for sure . That is dedication to go all that way and photograph that great mystery collection of MV parts !

This shows our improvised aircon in action :D and have to be athletic to get in, the whine of the portal axles and the whistling of the turbo = noisey

Working on the mate's one today

Often the keys don't match the doors but this time I photographed the solution :D. Main reason I post here is:

- there is so little info out there on deisel Pinz

- and some people that know anything keep it all a 'big' secret

Maybe useful on other cars also

Take the lock barrel out

[ATTACH]25028[/ATTACH]

Seen here are the tumblers (note itty bitty spring, don't loose them)

[ATTACH]25029[/ATTACH]

If wrong key the tumblers are sticking out eg key wont turn

[ATTACH]25031[/ATTACH]

So swap the high ones with the low ones and swap them from side to side etc. A bit like a Rubrick's cube puzzle so good for those procrastination toilet visits

[ATTACH]25030[/ATTACH]

Apparently you can get it perfect eventually...... but I get it damn close and skim a couple of thou of with a file

[ATTACH]25027[/ATTACH]

Done :-D

[ATTACH]25026[/ATTACH]

Next week will be how to pick locks and defeat padlocks :cool2:

having a bit more dig around the box and the bits in the back

[ATTACH]25048[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25036[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25044[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25032[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25034[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25045[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25046[/ATTACH]