Pinzgauer Rebuild

fesm_ndt

I suppose I should address the common problem of drooping or failure to spring up :cheesy:

The Pinz has sliding windows and the locks need to spring upwards to work. Parts manual don't show how or what so...... found out it was a really long allen screw...

took ages to get out as can only turn 1/4 turn.

Anyway dropped a pill under the spring and now rock firm (3 to go)

[ATTACH]25049[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25051[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25050[/ATTACH]

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After doing some searches I found very little on Pinz's in here so I thought you would enjoy my rebuild to date (with the usual trials and tribulations:cry:).

I had to go back to my first post in this thread to describe today...

[ATTACH]25168[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25173[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25171[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25172[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25169[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25170[/ATTACH]

Hopefully the damage is in the area I am cutting off, the last i.e 700mm

Doing a bit of work on my mates one, again today.

Got the urge to diassemble these heavy recovery lugs we got last trip to the junkyard. As per the norm:

- last one had a half sheared split pin in it

- no pin punches

- did create special tool using big screwdriver and hammer :nut:

but it worked

[ATTACH]25268[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25269[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25267[/ATTACH]

• 2 weeks later...

Still focusing on my mate's Pinz as I been nagging him so we could go for spin. Pretty much reassembled it went for a quick spin and the LH steering rod tore out.

I am pretty much convinced it was not tightened correctly last time it had been tampered with, in the military. I actually saw it as a really good day as I am well glad this happened on a dirt road and not on the highway. The pit crew rushed to the spares vehicle and some 2 hours later we had the rod changed.

[ATTACH]25790[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25794[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25788[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25795[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25784[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25786[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25791[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25792[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25785[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25793[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25787[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25789[/ATTACH]

• 2 weeks later...
This is a great thread :cool:

Cheers, not much done this weekend as was waiting on flights to go to Europe, so maybe next week (Europe or Pinz work??).

But although my trip is for 6 weeks I have some planned stuff hopefully progressing whilst I am away :D

Also a gearbox rebuild that I wont post until it actually works.

Well another weeks delay in my travel plans, plus a reroute so now going to Houston first. Some more bits arrived from the OEM.

[ATTACH]26147[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26148[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26144[/ATTACH]

Plastic cover 34.00 Euro and the little pins that fit it were extra. Not quite sure how they go together at this point :-(

[ATTACH]26143[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26145[/ATTACH]

Also I think this is a troubling sign. I bought an OEM jack handle

[ATTACH]26146[/ATTACH]

Been studying ZF parts manuals to work out how to overhaul the box

• 3 weeks later...
time to do housekeeping for the other monster Mike :)

Btw, the newly acquired toy really cool :)

I think I will have to buy Nasri a bigger stick :D

Pity to disassmble it but can't keep it, also has the bits I need

I think I will have to buy Nasri a bigger stick :D

Pity to disassmble it but can't keep it, also has the bits I need

hehehe....just get a bamboo stick.....

yeah...sad though...not to mentioned when i heard the price and not for re-registered... ouch :)

• 4 weeks later...

:-) Hi Mike great great work as usual :-) ,, the whine of the portal axles , Have you had the reduction gears out or had chance to view them in any of the pinz ?

if there noisy like you say- there probably going to be strait cut gears ?

I've been looking for info regarding the portal gears for a project but having a job to come up with much :embarrassed:

Hi Phil.

looking at the Manual Drawings and from memory they are straight cut gears. Its a long

while ago but remember stripping all the hub ends down to fit ABS systems to the

mod vehicles. I think 13 & 29 tooth drive gears.

Hope this helps.

Clive

protruckservices.com

:-) Hi Mike great great work as usual :-) ,, the whine of the portal axles , Have you had the reduction gears out or had chance to view them in any of the pinz ?

if there noisy like you say- there probably going to be strait cut gears ?

I've been looking for info regarding the portal gears for a project but having a job to come up with much :embarrassed:

yep think they are straight cut.... I can lay my hands on some Volvo portal axles, if you are thinking of a Land Rover upgrade.

Always wanted to do that to a lightweight:cool2:

So started disassembling the 3rd truck :D

The P93 nose is different as under that is the all important intercooler (had to soak the oil cooler lines in WD40, hopefully tomorrow can finish removal)

[ATTACH]28495[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]28499[/ATTACH]

T Bar shifter all out but one bolt!

[ATTACH]28497[/ATTACH]

Aircon mount

[ATTACH]28494[/ATTACH]

Tailgate with all the rivnuts spinning so I have to drill the screws out :banghead:

[ATTACH]28500[/ATTACH]

Daft fuel filler (reputely a UK MOD idea!!) :nut:

[ATTACH]28498[/ATTACH]

Cab cage is rotten as hell

[ATTACH]28496[/ATTACH]

Hi, some good replies regarding the portal reductions , Mike I've got my eye on a local lightweight so might think about the volvo axles :-) few years ago I used to pass a 4x4 dealers that had a 110 pickup crop sprayer on portals ,

Hi, some good replies regarding the portal reductions , Mike I've got my eye on a local lightweight so might think about the volvo axles :-) few years ago I used to pass a 4x4 dealers that had a 110 pickup crop sprayer on portals ,

I got a fair amount of info on that type of swap as it was invented here.

Spent the whole day working on the 'new' tailgate today this consisted of drilling the heads off 5 screws......... Easy :wow:

1 screw rivnut was spinning so drilled the head off. 4 more were seized completely so drilled the heads off and removed 3 with vice grips. As in typical project fashion the last one would not budge and to top it off it was seized in a rather weird inaccessible capture nut (almost everything is typically rivnut on Pinz). I did not want to damage the capture nut as would be extremely dificult to fix. So I opted to drill the centre out of the screw, thinking I have very little chance of success. But to me this is what a project is all about, I got it out :D I am well chuffed.

[ATTACH]28609[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]28607[/ATTACH]

Found around 6 fatigue cracks that will get welded up tomorrow

[ATTACH]28610[/ATTACH]

Replaced the offending rivnut

[ATTACH]28608[/ATTACH]

After weld repairs I am sending to a paint shop to do minor panel beating and prime it

[ATTACH]28606[/ATTACH]

As I had two I just about got everything, but I am a point where I may be getting a few other odd bits off another variation I want on mine so more work

A couple of coats of Light Stone paint. with the intention of mimicking the MOD Pinzgauers in Iraq/Afghanistan.

Reminds me anyone do vehicle stencils???? For tyre pressure etc??

BEAUTIFUL Paint job. Question- any idea what the color spec would be in the US?

I'm thinking of painting mine and cant seem to find an answer on other sites.

Any thoughts on POR15- seems to be the standard, but I am wondering if some basic Rustoleum wouldnt work just as well- same color as the brown you painted primer.

thanks for the advice to a newbie.

K Skjei

Carlsbad, CA

BEAUTIFUL Paint job. Question- any idea what the color spec would be in the US?

I'm thinking of painting mine and cant seem to find an answer on other sites.

Any thoughts on POR15- seems to be the standard, but I am wondering if some basic Rustoleum wouldnt work just as well- same color as the brown you painted primer.

thanks for the advice to a newbie.

K Skjei

Carlsbad, CA

Previous UK MOD desert colour was 'BS381C 361 Light Stone' they also had a yellower colour that was meant to be removal. http://lightweightlandroverclub.org/phpbb/download.php?id=729&f=4

the Austrian paint Code is called B40 and was painted on Saudi-Arabian and other African Pinzgauers. The nearest standart RAL number is RAL 1002. Or you can take Ral 1015 it is lighter, also used by some military´s.

http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/viewtopic.php?t=4169

I had to get mine mixed here from a sample of light stone Hammerite

Well got plenty done yesterday, but not many photos as:

- spent the morning doing more disasembly on the 6x6

- spent the afternoon changing the diff and gearbox oils. I did manage to smack myself in the chin with a hammer :embarrassed:. Story goes like this, allen key in filler plug, filler plug wont move, need leverage so use hammer that has pipe handle, swing off hammer very hard, filler plug went from seized to unseized in an instant = hammer in chin (looking on the bright side at least it was the hammer face and not the other side)

had a few beers later in the evening so got nothing done today so few = a lot. Back at it again tomorrow and saturday then Sunday to Japan and possibly Romania on Tuesday.

Well got a look inside the roof mount aircon and I am quite happy as it looks fairly clean. I am missing the compressor but a very helpful UK chap http://www.ran-eng.com/ has sent me the parts manuals and shortly I should have prices for the bits I need.

Major work to fit it, with lots of body bits that need moving, canvas modified, but I've got soft in my old age so I dont like the stinking heat, especially when its raining.

[ATTACH]28804[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]28803[/ATTACH]

Trip to Japan confirmed for Sunday, back on Tuesday with direct flight, an hour later to Amsterdam then Bucharest. This is going to kill me :noyay:

Edited by fesm_ndt

Hi

I should probably say that your thread is the reason i joined in the first place. I find it very interesting and informative for a number of reasons which i shall elaborate upon forthwith.

I have worked a fair bit with Pinzgauers of all variants including the armoured Vector with the British Army both in the UK and in Afghan.

Now back in Britain i find myself completing a military education course which requires a mechanical project. To this end, i have chosen to investigate the Pinzgauer park brake system, which seems to have a bit of a performance issue. I am in contact with BAE systems who supply and support the British army with these vehicles, they were helpful and confirmed my findings.

The problem seems to be the parkbrake discs fail to disengage fully and as a result burn out, causing a fair bit of damage in the process.

I was wondering if you knew of anything regarding this?

Thank you again for you thread it brings back a lot of memories of getting hot and dirty under a leaky old Pinzgauer.

Hi

I should probably say that your thread is the reason i joined in the first place. I find it very interesting and informative for a number of reasons which i shall elaborate upon forthwith.

I have worked a fair bit with Pinzgauers of all variants including the armoured Vector with the British Army both in the UK and in Afghan.

Now back in Britain i find myself completing a military education course which requires a mechanical project. To this end, i have chosen to investigate the Pinzgauer park brake system, which seems to have a bit of a performance issue. I am in contact with BAE systems who supply and support the British army with these vehicles, they were helpful and confirmed my findings.

The problem seems to be the parkbrake discs fail to disengage fully and as a result burn out, causing a fair bit of damage in the process.

I was wondering if you knew of anything regarding this?

Thank you again for you thread it brings back a lot of memories of getting hot and dirty under a leaky old Pinzgauer.

I have found thus far it is an extreme nuisance to adjust as I did it once following all the steps and still only after a few spins I need to readjust it. I have never heard the system to be designed incorrectly as pretty sure the earlier pinz had the same system.

My guess the biggest hurdle would be the actual exactly adjusting the thing. I even have a dummys guide to it :nut:. There is a guy on the TD group http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pinzgauer_td/?yguid=448626243 and Pinzgauer forum http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=7580e8f109983ed23496ee01ce43bd9e that worked at BAE and also I have a few contacts at Graz. I guess design issues I would think of are maybe:

- under braking the 4x4 get a bit tail happy

- the power steering system overheats as too small fluid capacity (soon to be modded on mine)

- the TD's lack the corrosion protection of the earlier models

- the really stupid filler (specified by UK MOD)

- the really stupid air vent (specified by UK MOD)

- the auto box is the older ZF22, not so strong

Not so many in civlian hands especially P90/93's. If you need any piccies etc let me know as I think I got a bit of info on the handbrake system including the UK MOD training manual