Pinzgauer Rebuild

fesm_ndt

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I was doing a rebuild in the UK the major whinges were the lousy cold weather and the price of petrol.

In Malaysia it's stinking hot, cobra's and monkey prints in the wet paint.

Something new today....... :mad: a monkey took a dump on the drivers side floor

Suppose could have been worse, it could have been on the dash or floor

• 4 weeks later...

I'm no expert but I think the timing is out a bit :undecided:

I may need a second opinion ??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50122[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50123[/ATTACH]

I think I was asked when this photo was taken "are you going to buy another one!!"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50121[/ATTACH]

• 1 month later...

Lot's to do but little time

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51920[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51921[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51922[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51923[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51924[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51925[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51926[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51927[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51928[/ATTACH]

Interesting as I knew about the top reinforcent but had not seen a picture of what the lower looked like. I got these pictures from Dale at Haflingertechnik.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51998[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51999[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52000[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52001[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52002[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51997[/ATTACH]

It is only propped there at the moment as:

- Waiting on the spacers to get made

- the door needs panel beating

- I have a G Wagen door coming that I want to cut some pieces off

I have the door stay also as per below but never seen one fitted

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51996[/ATTACH]

• 4 weeks later...

Well got the chance to start the rear door modifications. Made spacers but to get it to fit better and get a nice gap and spare wheel arm position it was easier to drill larger holes and tack each in the correct position. Also have to fill all the holes no longer required.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52982[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52983[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52984[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52985[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52986[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52987[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52988[/ATTACH]

Will take it to work tomorrow and have it fully tig welded, then fit an internal stiffener and off to the panel beaters to make it look straighter. Hopefully the top half will arrive before Christmas

Speedo needs to be sent away for some TLC

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52998[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52999[/ATTACH]

Rear light grilles modified to screw on instead of clip. I don't want them falling off as I am stingy that way

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52997[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]53000[/ATTACH]

Started on the jack overhaul as I got around 6 jacks. Most the seals look easy but the pump one looks odd, hopefully not.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52991[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52992[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52995[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52993[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52996[/ATTACH]

and the engine overhaul, but snapped a piston ring so on hold until I get replacements

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52989[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]52990[/ATTACH]

Edited by fesm_ndt

Tidy up the front floor.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53003[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]53002[/ATTACH]

Fit the MoD steering stalk water proofing kit (never again)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53005[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]53006[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]53007[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]53008[/ATTACH]

Some detailing

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53001[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]53004[/ATTACH]

• 1 month later...
Mike,

those VDO speedo units are cursed pieces of junk. I hate them, nothing but utter tripe if they are the same as in the BV206. I have replaced several, not an easy job and they keep failing. Same as in our Supacat as well, again keeps failing.

R

yeah plastic gears inside, really cannot cope with temperature. I heard there was a company in the US that replaces them with steel gearing but cannot find the link now.

That vehicle has changed hands a few times in the past 3 years and as he states it has had an odd history. The starting price is a lot lower than it was 3 years ago, so is cheap for a P90 718. The Pinzgauer world is pretty small so when a vehicle pops up it's like "aaaaahhhhhhhhhh where I seen that before".

There are a few P93 6x6's arriving in the UK now also http://www.shropshiregunbus.co.uk/default.asp?cat=latest

• 2 weeks later...

Well sold the 4x4 to concentrate on the 6x6

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54799[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54800[/ATTACH]

Slow going as have most the parts, but suffer from lack of time. Was working on the spaghetti today :undecided: but a general clean up of the workshop as cr@p everywhere

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54801[/ATTACH]

just as a matter of interest do you have a set of spring compressers for pinz ?

I use a set of truck ones, but is both a scary and back breaking job. I destroyed two sets thus far which makes it even scarier

Easiest way I found is to jack the axle up as high as you can get and start the spring compressing at that point. The petril pinz are slightly easier as you can fit a bigger plate under the spring.

The front are the hardest, the rear on a 4x4 are thinner (air assisted) and the rear on a 6x6 is leaf (nice and easy)

I use a set of truck ones, but is both a scary and back breaking job. I destroyed two sets thus far which makes it even scarier

Easiest way I found is to jack the axle up as high as you can get and start the spring compressing at that point. The petril pinz are slightly easier as you can fit a bigger plate under the spring.

The front are the hardest, the rear on a 4x4 are thinner (air assisted) and the rear on a 6x6 is leaf (nice and easy)

made my day its the fronts i have to change looks like i will have to make a set,not paying pinz prices for a not very often use

Hi Landyandy.

I use a Sealy spring compressor for the pinnies, I'll get you the number off it if you're interested, if I remember correctly it cost about £350 but these things are dangerous and I value my life!!! unfortunately you're a bit far away or you could pop round and borrow it but I'm up in Sheffield.

Cheers Nigel.

These are the best we can find over here, just cheapy Mr Mark ones. They work, but hard work, you have to get as much spring length in the jaws as possible

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54826[/ATTACH]

Another tip, have some 20-25 year old helpers who are keen to learn how.

Edited by fesm_ndt