Falklands War: the demise of Chinook AE-521

On the morning of 21 May, 1982, Argentinian helicopters were caught on the ground on the northern slope of Mt. Kent by Sqdn Ldr Jerry Pook and Fl Lt Mark Hare (with a second attack on the damaged but potentially serviceable aircraft on 26 May). It was reported that the Chinook (AE-521) was destroyed by cannon fire.

Six-years later, the Stanley Detachment of 33 Engr Regt EOD undertook a survey of some crash sites on west and East Falkland (the insomniacs amongst you may recall the 'Dagger' fighterbomber post of August 2023).-Despite being set ablaze - and comprehensively consumed by fire - it was discovered that AE-521 still contained a BL755 submunition wedged within the rotor gearbox.  This was very much a burnt offering and, for my money, had been in place since 21 May.

A few weeks ago I came across some excellent and recent photographs of the Mt. Kent site (see: <https://www.flickr.com/.../intr.../albums/72157718720425022/>) - and dug out some of my own.  Through the wonders of google, I also found an image of AE-521 burning merrily on 21 May.  

If anyone has images of AE-521 in service, I'd love to see them.

All the best.

Adrian

chinook_monte_kent_malvinas.jpg

IMG_7461.jpg

Chinook Falklands-Mount-Kent-Chinook-Helicopter-08.jpg

chinook mt KENT.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-30 171609.png

Screenshot 2024-05-01 113249.png

Argentina's Chinook tail number AE-521. Location is Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Date unknown.

Aviacion de Ejercito Argentino CH-47C Chinook

Both these chinooks went to the Falklands... One was destroyed (AE 521) and the other was taken back to the UK for RAF service (AE 520)

The destruction was apparently due to cannon fire, a 30mm gun run by a Harrier FRS1 and then finally finished off with a BL775 by a different Harrier.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Charlie2356 said:

Argentina's Chinook tail number AE-521. Location is Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Date unknown.

Aviacion de Ejercito Argentino CH-47C Chinook

Both these chinooks went to the Falklands... One was destroyed (AE 521) and the other was taken back to the UK for RAF service (AE 520)

The destruction was apparently due to cannon fire, a 30mm gun run by a Harrier FRS1 and then finally finished off with a BL775 by a different Harrier.

Thanks for the images, Charlie.  Yes, the history certainly credits 30mm cannon fire and supposes the BL755 (of 21 May) was wide of the mark.  As I say, the very burned submunition in the gearbox suggests at least one bomblet found its mark - but failed to detonate or 'cook-off'.  By 26 May (the second fighter sweep) the Chinook was burned out (i.e., the submunition had been there since 21 May).  Many bomblets were recovered from various sites hit by Harrier but this was the only 'cooked' one I came across.

Do you have images of AE-521 in theatre?

All the best.

A

BL755 whoha 1.jpg

Edited by Adrian Dwyer
addition
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Adrian Dwyer said:

Thanks for the images, Charlie.  Yes, the history certainly credits 30mm cannon fire and supposes the BL755 (of 21 May) was wide of the mark.  As I say, the very burned submunition in the gearbox suggests at least one bomblet found its mark - but failed to detonate or 'cook-off'.  By 26 May (the second fighter sweep) the Chinook was burned out (i.e., the submunition had been there since 21 May).  Many bomblets were recovered from various sites hit by Harrier but this was the only 'cooked' one I came across.

Do you have images of AE-521 in theatre?

All the best.

A

BL755 whoha 1.jpg

I can have a look, BL775s had a very high failure rate in the Falklands because they were dropped so low to the ground and the parachute did not deploy in time.