Pinzgauer Rebuild

fesm_ndt

Well started on the timing belts, P93 injection pump, P93 injectors and new water pump. To line up the timing mark you have to peer through a hole in the gearbox bellhousing to the driving plate which is at a fairly awkward position.

[ATTACH]38853[/ATTACH]

Well whoever designed the fuel injection pump mounting system was a girl with very skinny long fingers :argh:. If it was a guy, he should be wearing a dress and dancing at a cabaret in Thailand. Spent most of the day getting the old one out. If I get the back end done by tomorrow I will be very happy, if not I will come home and yell at the dog and kick the wife :D

[ATTACH]38851[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38852[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38856[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38854[/ATTACH]

The P93 top cover is different but it mysteriously disappeared, so I got a whole new nose for another cover. The day after the guy that lost it, says "look what I found!".

[ATTACH]38855[/ATTACH]

Edited by fesm_ndt

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I take it this whole vehicle is a unibody construction ?

How the heck did they assemble them on the line with those sort of access conditions then? Looks like you have only feeler gauge access to most bits.

Gordon

Yes unibody with a central spine.

They are a bit of a confusing vehicle in that they are very rugged and capable. But I often wonder about how field maintenance would be like with special tool requirements and poor access to some bits. There is often I think, how the hell would I like to be doing something in a hurry if the bad guys were coming, but I guess most new vehicles are like that now :cry:

I already had this Pinz driving around as an everyday vehicle, but getting an extra vehicle with bits I wanted to incorporate has sidetracked me a lot, perhaps 6 months

Great vehicle..... it better run better than new when it's finished

The Pinzgauer has a Central Tube Frame and bold on body.

i quest myself why people didn´t read the repair manual . It´s all concret writen.

Why don´t you remove the Pump from the support, before you remove the support? It is all easy, if you first would read the manual. Bytheway now you have to adjust the rear Beltplay. For changing the injectionpump, the support has not to remove.

pump fes.jpg

Actually Wolfgang, the manual states to remove it with the support in section 16

After it is removed it then states to use a puller to take the drive gear off, then remove the support bolt x 3 (17mm)

As my extra, refurbished pump is already mounted on a support I don't need a gear puller or swap supports. I will have to reset the TDC and position as I dont trust the rebuild shop.

The only deviation from the manual was not to remove the injector lines 'as you dont need to'

So Yes I read the manual as it is sitting beside the injection pump.

Edited by fesm_ndt

ok that´s the old translation and the copy of the VW LT Repair-Manual. My dokuments are in the workshop, mayby post later.But i can tell you how to change the pump in the engine room.

First remove all fuel lines( in and out), pressure hose, accelerator cabel, alll 6 high pressure lines, the front mounting support for the Injection pump, the screw for the waterreturnline. look the pump in deathpoint with the special tool plug, then open the centralnut of the driving wheel. Remove the three mounting screws( yellow) ( if you take two 1/4 inch long driveing spacer it is no problem for the rear screw) , screw the central nut down until the nut and the input shaft are in one line. Now take a piece of metall and put it at the firewall. ( it is for protecting of the isolation), take a waterpump kniff( or else) and press on the central nut. If it is open, press the Wheel on the input shaft, remove the nut , take carefully the wheel off and look that you didn´t move the woodruff key. That´s all.

At all VE Injectionpumps it is important ,if you remove it, that you never give any kind of pressure on the inputshaft into the pump. outway is no problem. Also in the condition of your shown pictures, you didn´t need any kind of special puller. The surface of the Pump support and the wheel are flat. If you open the central nut and remove the three yellow screws, turn the pump that the wheel is up, take a soft metall piece and hammer- it´s open.

By the way the P93 has a other camshaft and other timing´s.

Looking at the books, seems the cam is only different because the P93 uses hydraullic tappets which require shorter valves

It dont seem to be a performance tweak, so should run same, so I can do a head change later, or rebuild the P93 engine at my leisure.

Just messed around with the body today as need a puller for the cam belt tensioner which had not arrived. Needed to sweep dirt out of the back and change a few more rivnuts as will maybe paint it on Christmas day. I would like to get it painted so I can bolt body bits back on as makes me feel better when having breaks whilst tinkering with the engine.

Mocked fitted the UK MoD canvas to see how much I need to cut off (which is a lot !). I need to find an international supplier of canvas glue as you can't ship this stuff any more

[ATTACH]38920[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38921[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38922[/ATTACH]

The P80 had only the mechanic valve´s. The P90 had hydro Valves with a new designed head with changed camshaft mountings. The P93 had a a other camshaft , because the emisions problems. If you look in the right dokumentry you will see that theP80 has 075 109101 , P90 has 075 109 101 C and the P93 075 109 101 E . The E Camshaft is signed with " H " in the middle, thats not documented by SDP!

• 2 weeks later...

Day off today a Malaysia won the Asean football cup so the PM said dont go to work!!

Working on my mates one this morning, refitting a few bits fitted slightly incorrectly

So a bit of a lazy start

replaced 5 injectors and seals but 6th needs a thinner socket which I had already bought but can't find. Bought a new one on the way home and other un-necessary stuff which happens everytime I go to the hardware store (the hardware guy now smiles every time I go there and offers me beer). Used a Land Rover wheel nut socket for the 5 I replaced :D as the injectors are 27mm.

Rebuilt the power steering ram which was a bit of a Rubiks cube as there are several different types.

So hopefully my 2011 resolution will be to get the injection pump back on tomorrow

The Pinz has a mesh grill seperating the cab from the rear so 'thinking' I will get better access to the injection pump I decided to take it out. As always every bolt but the last one would come out (rivnut spinning). So after much swearing,cursing and wasted time I got the grille out and positioned the injection pump.

So looks like a tomorrow to finish bolting it in, but at least I can get above it now.

[ATTACH]39365[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]39364[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]39363[/ATTACH]

Creature comforts :D

[ATTACH]39366[/ATTACH]

• 4 weeks later...

Well finally after 6 months I have the brm brm sound coming from the engine http://pinzgauer-td.webs.com/apps/videos/videos/show/12264849-6-months-later-

yep is just an engine running but to me it was music after so long and all the bits I changed.

[ATTACH]40540[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]40538[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]40536[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]40537[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]40535[/ATTACH]

Correct use of tools (well when no helper is around to hold the nut :cool2:)

[ATTACH]40539[/ATTACH]

• 2 weeks later...

Chinese New Year over here so Gong Xi Fa Chi to our Chinese friends

As I can move the truck, my plan is to tidy up the paint, or more correctly paint all the new body panels I fitted so I can bolt a lot of stuff back on. It gives me a welcome break from the engine bay which I cannot close up as waiting on some new bits to go in there.

Car looks like it has measels :-D weather prevailing it will be painted tomorrow

[ATTACH]40816[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]40814[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]40815[/ATTACH]

• 3 months later...

Being a night of questions :nut:

Anyone know why I cannot upload further pictures to this thread. I get a error message with disk full or something like that.

Does that mean I have to delete the previous photos?

Being a night of questions :nut:

Anyone know why I cannot upload further pictures to this thread. I get a error message with disk full or something like that.

Does that mean I have to delete the previous photos?

just keep trying mate , i get that now and then ........

See if I have any luck tonight

Travelling way too much. Starting to dislike the light stone colour as shows up every fingerprint

[ATTACH]45129[/ATTACH]

Bling that nobody will see

[ATTACH]45125[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]45126[/ATTACH]

Straightening the brushguard (still needs a jack on it)

[ATTACH]45132[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]45128[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]45127[/ATTACH]

Missed bit of paint

[ATTACH]45130[/ATTACH]

New towing points

[ATTACH]45131[/ATTACH]

Are those towing points off a Hummer?

R

Nope off a Tata truck :red:. I got several of them as the mortar support Pinzgauers have a large plate accross the rear which is a weight to hold the rear end down.

[ATTACH]45137[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]45138[/ATTACH]

Saves me having to crawl around the mud

Another sideline job if I get the urge when I get back is to fix these boxes :-| This is the better one

Well I'll do the cutting and a guy from work can TIG up the pieces :)

[ATTACH]45147[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]45148[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]45150[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]45149[/ATTACH]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...