Alvis Berliet Wrecker

I had one of these in Rwanda in 1995 when I was running BDS.  It was donated to us by the French Army when they withdrew.   

I had a very interesting rear axle drive arrangement.  It was multifuel with a huge engine.  It was clearly designed for overseas operation.  I am sure that it would have been good at crawling up a mountain with a heavy load

I liked the soft top arrangement and the simple cab.

I would love to see one again.

John

Its a Berliet TBU, Alvis made some under licence and British Army trialled them but didn't buy  anymore,   John, there are a few Berliet TBU's in the UK so every chance of seeing one again, We have the smaller Berliet TBC Wrecker in our group

Edited by Nick Johns

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

So, apart from 43ER39 - what other British Army registration numbers do we have for the Berliet-Alvis TBU15 wreckers, or were there any other versions of the TBU also offered to MOD? 

During the December 1963 to around July 1965 agreement between Alvis and Berliet, two Stalwarts went to France, with some TBU coming to the UK. We know from these photos that 43ER39 was one, going to Aden.

Note, Alvis was moved to BL in the summer of 1965, and BL blocked l'accord as its first act.

One TBU is said to have gone to BAOR.

One was at the 1964 Earls Court Commercial Motor Show of 1964, on Alvis' stand with STAL 33.

I know that the French MOD passed STAL 34 to Musée des Blindés in 1975.

No Berliet or Alvis wrecker appears in MERLIN, so we can presume that they were cast before January 1984.

It's going to be down to photos or F.V.R.D.E. reports

1964Commercialmotorshow.thumb.jpg.9bf49c5975fd104636d8b8c25eb08c36.jpg

1-Alvis-Berliet4photos12a.thumb.jpg.bd5f2dae73fe5a0fe29020e573a95b53.jpg

1-Alvis-Berliet4photos15.thumb.jpg.335a50886d214f2784650878418c57cf.jpg

1-Alvis-Berliet4photos16.thumb.jpg.43d797c171b66e2d8f01c121d1001ef7.jpg

Edited by Mark Ellis

The D-sign is french and means Danger. You see them also on farm and forrestry tractors. And towing vehicles of course. Only put in vertical postion when towing.

Edited by Citroman

Several years ago, I think, one of these was advertised on eBay.  The vehicle was in Muirkirk, Ayrshire.  Cannot recall if the advert gave any details of it's service life.

I have no idea what happened to it but someone suggested that there might have been other ex-military vehicles at the same location. 

l have checked the FVRDE LEDGERS  there are a few BERLIET trucks listed but no BERLIET TBU also my my list of 419b history cards  in the ER SERIES there is no card for 43 ER 39 this list only goes up to june 2003 of those in the archives at BEVERLEY the RLC MUSEUM may have it since the museum at BEVERLEY closed but l doubt it

• Thanks 1