fesm_ndt

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to hear that mate ! Some people can be right to88ers !:mad:

Yep done nothing today as still furious, because instead of a bulk shipment I am left with a scatter of little bits. Still trying to decide on what to do but I doubt I am helping out Pinz owners again.

hmmm, dissecting a gearbox

This is a ZF 4HP24 auto transmission whose innards will go into my ZF 4HP22 Pinzgauer box :cool2:

[ATTACH]33767[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33771[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33768[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33772[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33773[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33770[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33769[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33774[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33766[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33765[/ATTACH]

maybe finish it off tonight

Well back from UK so back to Pinz work. Started cutting the front floors to insert the P93 floors with intercooler access

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34225[/ATTACH]

My balls are hanging out now

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34226[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34227[/ATTACH]

Modding the roofrack so the aircon passes through it

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34228[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34224[/ATTACH]

My Land Rover FFR box..... had a peek inside

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34223[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34222[/ATTACH]

dropped off the rear doors , tailgate and nose at the panel beaters.... then had to go back and collect as he said he was too busy

Lucky enough found another guy not so busy close by. Of interest the red tactical sign denotes the Malaysian 1st Infantry Brigade, 11 BDE

[ATTACH]34449[/ATTACH]

Also found out I need several parts from a different ZF 4HP24 gearbox :wow: so I am stressing about that. I would have to thank Ashcroft Transmissions in the UK as they are very helpful http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/ and have been upgrading Pinz boxes for the MoD

Well found out I need a different input shaft and pump for the auto gearbox rebuild, not as bad as I feared but going to be a pain to find.

With today I have 5 days off to work on it. I pulled the P93 turbo, manifold and fuel injection pump off the spare engine today so that they can be cleaned up and fitted. Floor not welded yet, hopefully monday.

[ATTACH]34710[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]34708[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]34707[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]34709[/ATTACH]

Started on the gearbox but waiting for prices for parts from ZF.

[ATTACH]34932[/ATTACH]

Intercooler bolted in to facilitate positioning and welding of the lower mounts. Everything prepped for welding tomorrow which include P93 floor pieces, P93 nose mounts, P93 intercooler mounts, auto cooler recess and auto cooler mounts (I think thats the list for tomorrow :undecided:).

[ATTACH]34930[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]34933[/ATTACH]

A lot of work to get to this point. Was a very humid day today so at 9am sweat was pouring out of me, so much so I had to take a piccy. Felt like I had been drinking beer all night.

[ATTACH]34931[/ATTACH]

Well the P93 turbo went for a service and they said it needs a complete rebuild :-( which will cost around 1200 RM.

No word on spare parts for the gearbox, so if anyone knows a LandRover trans shop in UK let me know?

Got my rear doors back today welded up and shortened :D

[ATTACH]34979[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]34980[/ATTACH]

Got loads of arc eye as had to watch for coating fires whilst the floor was welded in. Got the floors welded back in, rear door hinges, trans cooler mount, rear wheel mount, intercooler mounts and tacked together the roof rack :yay: Heaps of grinding to do

[ATTACH]34981[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]34977[/ATTACH]

Painted the front frame olive green (if I cant have the top side green, I'll paint the bottom side green).

[ATTACH]34978[/ATTACH]

Well nothing done yesterday as had to go to the junkyards...

Managed to make all the mounting points for the roofrack so that will be coming off for finishing.

So used the rivnut tool to do a few 6mm inserts and a lot more 8mm inserts. It is a very good tool. I did manage to snap the 6mm tool, but was because of my hamfistedness not the tools fault. The trick to the tool when tightening is you feel the final bite, if you go beyond that you can break the tool :blush:

[ATTACH]35303[/ATTACH]

Mounted up the spare wheel carrier and finally figured out what the movable latch thing on the rear hoop was for.

[ATTACH]35302[/ATTACH]

Well found another bit I have to transfer from the P93 6x6 carcass to my P90 4x4.

Extra bracket for the intercooler tubes...

[ATTACH]35522[/ATTACH]

Also got my turbo back from rebuild :cool2: and it is like new now..... Had an amusing time taking the old one out as was telling the helper 3 bolts on the exhaust. He dont speak English and he is arguing 4!!! I am thinking the daft git is undoing the waste gate but sure enough the P90 has a 4 bolt exhaust flange :shocked: so another bit to change

[ATTACH]35523[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35521[/ATTACH]

I never would call my car a P93 but nearly the entire car is P93 now as last remaining vestige is axles and they are getting changed over next week also

was like a really bad jigsaw puzzle with no space but after a full day at it, with loads of swearing. the turbo is back in.

[ATTACH]35554[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35552[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35553[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35551[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35550[/ATTACH]

Mind you looking at the waterpump and timing belt instructions the worst is to come

still a few bits to do, before I do some serious driving...

reference rebuild flowchart, (actually superseded by revision 5 but well thats got too many uncoloured boxes :nono:)

[ATTACH]35556[/ATTACH]

I was just looking at my old post from 11-12-2009, it seems to be getting a lot bigger than originally planned and still a lot of uncoloured boxes. I blame Ebay completely :-D

[ATTACH]35557[/ATTACH]

Inside my injection pump :shocked: :banghead:

[ATTACH]35752[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35753[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35754[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35755[/ATTACH]

Gearbox in 'kind of'!

[ATTACH]35757[/ATTACH]

was a really bad day thursday as:

- lost my wallet with cash in it and everything else

- a monkey ran under my car on the way home

Hopefully next Pinz day will be a bit luckier

Edited by fesm_ndt

I got a few boxes to put my spare parts in and they have some interesting labels :D

[ATTACH]35862[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35860[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35861[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35863[/ATTACH]

Changed the auto filter (spare box so unsure if it goes or not but clean inside)

[ATTACH]35864[/ATTACH]

Re-painted the floors

[ATTACH]35859[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35866[/ATTACH]

Putting the brake master cylinder back in, so starting to get there as hoping to drive to Thailand in convoy at Christmas.

[ATTACH]35865[/ATTACH]

Well have everyone pitching in so my mad rush has become contagious

The idea is the rebuild the 2 rear 6x6 diffs to put in the front and rear on the 4x4 (yep they are same). So do the bench rebuild then swap in.

[ATTACH]36437[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36436[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36441[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36439[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36444[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36442[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36443[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36445[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36440[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36438[/ATTACH]

Well fixed the injection pump problem fairly simply by buying another 6x6 engine :nut:

[ATTACH]36547[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36549[/ATTACH]

Also the last bit of welding on the car. This is where the aircon wiring comes from the cab[ATTACH]36548[/ATTACH]

OOTFD why is this not an official acronym?

"One of those f'ing days"

- Got to the yard and was told one of the bits in the painting lean to fell over. Result I have to get the tailgate repaired again

- Had 3 remaining bolts to install on the gearbox. The 3 offending bolts were through the driving plate into the torque convertor. Following the manual which says line them up and plonk them in. The manual should say line them up perfectly and use a long bolt as a guide because if you dont do this the following will occur. Any attempt to move the driver plate also moves the torque convertor, therefore being a waste of time. Loosening the bell housing bolts and moving back the box in a vain attempt for better access results in much swearing as the torque convertor still rotates with the driver plate. Taking all the bolts out and thinking I'll move the whole box back, spin the bugger and put it back in results in the torque convertor comming out, gearbox dangling from cooling hoses, earthing straps and other assorted junk. So next step was to pull the whole thing out. Offsider split the tailshaft in two so now I am figuring the balance has just gone out the window. Bolt got dropped behind the driver plate :banghead: so had to take the driver plate off, bolt fell out, then bolted it back on. Used above mentioned long bolt idea when reinstalling but hell days not over yet as the new factory bolts dont fit in the driver plate counter bore so soon find out the Audi driver plate has smaller counter bores!. As I new the bolt grade is the same on the clutch bolts which dont have a skirt but are the same size will fit, simple...... no! Socket wont fit so had to grind a socket several times to fit.

- had to cut a small notch in a bracket on the floor and the grinder jumped and sliced through a newly installed hose

So all in all a frustrating day so I am going to get blind drunk

Just as long as the damage was confined to mechanical things and that you came through with all your fingers, toes etc. then it was a good day . Perhaps tomorrow will be a better one !

good point.....

Sunday was a very bad day with Monday similar to Sunday so I must be have to give pennance to the vehicle rebuild gods as they are apparently not happy :-D

Well, after due consideration of hoops jumped through, time spent, international travel, and aggravation factors I have formally concluded that no matter how useful they are, Pinzgauers are as much hassle as Stalwarts, though admittedly somewhat lighter.:-D

Come the weekend I'm back in the garage working on the '39 and '40 Dodges, inordinately pleased that;

1. German and British folks didn't design my Dodges, just uncomplicated American farm boys.

2. I actually understand how every bit works, how to take it apart, and put it together, and that the part count on a 1939 Dodge truck must be less than a third of the part count for a Pinz.

The jury is still out on whether it is easier / cheaper to buy parts for a 1939 Dodge, but on balance I think it probably is.

I'm full of admiration for the work you are doing here, which is nearly Dennis-like in scope

Gordon