Pinzgauer Rebuild

fesm_ndt

Thanks for getting back to me so fast, your advice is most welcome.

Thank you for your ideas, the corrosion issue is known to us and as the pinzgauer has had it's service life extended a mid life overhaul is looking into this issue.

It is interesting to find this to be a localised issue regarding the park-bake,

One of the areas we are looking at is the Army Equipment Publications where the information concerning adjustment is found. I have been told that the information we hold is translated from the original Austrian manual. I have searched on-line but find nothing that simplifies the adjustment process. Would it be possible to send an electronic copy or let me know how i might obtain a dummy's guide.

It seems this could be a probable cause along with the drivers attitude "If it wasn't supposed to break then they would not spare parts"

Thanks again

Timmy Donovan

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well being a Sunday, got some work done, finally after being away so long :D

P93 nose off with a bit of sanding in between other battles (with ugly Hicom badge)

[ATTACH]29914[/ATTACH]

The P93 front radiator lip differs from the P90 (below :banghead:)

[ATTACH]29916[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]29917[/ATTACH]

My new balljoint splitter (garunteed to go off with a bang each time) but works good

[ATTACH]29913[/ATTACH]

The P93 frame bolts oiled up (for next weekend)

[ATTACH]29915[/ATTACH]

Speedo drive unit with damaged gears

[ATTACH]29912[/ATTACH]

• 2 weeks later...

Well no-one killed today and heaps more ball joints split today. Lots of work getting done:

- pulled the front diff out of my mates so we can tidy it up. The piccies below give some idea on size of the bits

- having bought a 3rd one for the last parts the idea was to drive mine around and incorporate the pieces as I go. But seems a lot of the pieces are going to require a lot of thought and finesse to fit. So looks like mine is going back into pieces again this month icon_sad.gif. Saturday is the big push to get all the parts out of the donor truck.

[ATTACH]30713[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]30715[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]30720[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]30718[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]30714[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]30719[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]30716[/ATTACH]

Not a one man job thats certainly clear ! I can understand why something like that would likely need the help of a couple of mechanically skilled friends to carry out properly and safely.

Taking the front end out of my spare 6x6 today so hopefully no-one will get injured. They had to make another set of stands and they were told by their boss (my mate) "you will be under the truck, so make them strong enough"!

Need to get new seals from Austria for our diffs.......... So should have some piccies later today :-). Tomorrow is going to be a fairly major attack on the 6x6 to get the parts out I am utilising or moving to my 4x4.

Busy day today...

Pinzgauer 718 6x6 Deconstruction :shocking:

[ATTACH]31029[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31033[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31028[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31027[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31031[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31030[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31032[/ATTACH]

some more details...

Lifting the cab off (yes a bit of overkill but the excavator was handy :D)

[ATTACH]31039[/ATTACH]

gearbox out

[ATTACH]31035[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31034[/ATTACH]

engine out

[ATTACH]31038[/ATTACH]

front diff flying through the air

[ATTACH]31036[/ATTACH]

aircon out

[ATTACH]31037[/ATTACH]

just to show I was in the thick of it :yawn:

lucky someone else takes photos or nobody would believe me

[ATTACH]31059[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31062[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31061[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31057[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31060[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31058[/ATTACH]

pity coveralls always make me look fat......

Ouch! Might you get away with judicious positioning against timing?

I think a VW, Audi or Volvo one fits so am on the big search to find one to compare. May as well just change it as most likely works now but a few more teeth and it will be rattling. Going to do the rear main oil seal at the same time as thats at the same spot.

the extra bits :(

Hi mike.

You probably allready know this.

Ring gear.

NSN2815-99-957-9772 / PINZ no 072 105 323

It's the same ring gear that is fitted to the 5 & 6 cylinder vw engines for the

ZF 4HP/22 type gearbox.

Hope this is of some help.

Clive

Hi mike.

You probably allready know this.

Ring gear.

NSN2815-99-957-9772 / PINZ no 072 105 323

It's the same ring gear that is fitted to the 5 & 6 cylinder vw engines for the

ZF 4HP/22 type gearbox.

Hope this is of some help.

Clive

Any type of part numbers are very useful, thanks!! It can be a nightmare to cross reference parts so of I have been compiling a list of bits interchangeable with other vehicles. Spent way too many hours searching through merc and vw parts. Always looking for parts lists and books as it's an expensive toy if you can't find the loopholes eg OEM aircon compressor 1500 Euro, same one direct from manufacturer 275 Quid

Just on a flight to Japan so I'll have to update my list when I get back. By chance where you getting nsn numbers from?

Hi Mike.

send me the details off the air con compresor as I have 30 N.O.S at the stores but would need some numbers to cross reference them to the manufacturers part no.s. if you need a spare at some point. If you get stuck for pinz parts give me a shout and i will get you some contact details for some one out in OZ.

clive

Edited by protruck

Pinz aircon Drawing and Sutrak part number

The Pinz world is fairly small so if you got bits I know the guys that need to know. Tie rod ends are another weird item we have yet to identify. Anyway after having several beers today I am going to look at your site and see if I can learn anyrthing but is good to know there is somebody else as know of 4 UK suppliers, 3 are good to ok and 1 is rubbish and incompetent

[ATTACH]31229[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31228[/ATTACH]

Camera phone snaps, so not so great..... :cry: forgot my camera

Rear hoop and structure cut off :D. Was using a small angle grinder but had a lot of double panels to cut through, therefore had our guy gas axe the remaining sections

[ATTACH]31393[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31394[/ATTACH]

I cut larger, then grind back the layers and spot welds to get back to 'just' the centre hoop structure. It basically took 3 hours. Tomorrow I will do the rear hoop which I guess will take all day.

[ATTACH]31395[/ATTACH]

LH engine (with aircon) mount cleaned up, a bit. Will try to get this professionally drawn in autocad as apparently no longer being manufactured.

[ATTACH]31396[/ATTACH]

Well I thought it would take all day to trim the excess sheet metal back on the rear hoop structure.... I was wrong as all day managed 30% :(

[ATTACH]31441[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31440[/ATTACH]

Also have to modify the rear tailgate attachment points, and, etc, etc, etc

[ATTACH]31439[/ATTACH]

2 days off work :D:D:D

So went up the junkyards again..... and shredded both fan belts just as I got there :cry::cry::cry:

PITA!! had to rip the seats and engine covers off....

So I think I will go for the rip the bugger apart again plan for the next few months to look for the last bugs.

[ATTACH]31566[/ATTACH]

The new exhaust is rattling also.......... :-(:-(:-(

Just to make you green. On quest the other night an Irish Pinz fitted with THOR and Starstreack launcher. It would solve your snake problem. :-D

This 20mm calibre would be good for snakes and traffic :cool2:

[ATTACH]31693[/ATTACH]