Pinzgauer Rebuild

fesm_ndt

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi thats a great looking pinz , these seem to cost quite a bit of money over here , great offroad for getting over moorland , ,, yours looks like a good one ,, what needs doing to it ? does it have the vw 5 cylinder turbo diesel engine ?

Mine is a P90 although made in '93 so has the non intercooled 6 cylinder diesel (still VW/Volvo/Mercedes). The models are P80, P90 and P93 from Austria in the diesels.

6 of these went to UK:)

,, what needs doing to it ? ?

As I had two I just about got everything, but I am a point where I may be getting a few other odd bits off another variation I want on mine so more work

A couple of coats of Light Stone paint. with the intention of mimicking the MOD Pinzgauers in Iraq/Afghanistan.

Reminds me anyone do vehicle stencils???? For tyre pressure etc??

At this point, well as of 4 weeks ago got up to this point. Basically focused on the aesthetic at this point as we were originally having to have it painted before doing the ownership paperwork but that was overcome. Once the body is pretty much back together we are starting on the mechanicals.

Still negotiating a chunk of odd parts that will take ages to incorporate, but I guess a lot of the fun is the tinkering.

So after much anquish, frustration and thinking to give up I was offered another one.

So I did what any sane person would do and bought it......

Think i'd have done the same :-D , , no i think it would be insane to drive one of these back from Malaysia To England in this day and age :cry: once upon a time you could have ( fairy tales ) go on tept me how much would a pinz be in Malaysia :-D

Think i'd have done the same :-D , , no i think it would be insane to drive one of these back from Malaysia To England in this day and age :cry: once upon a time you could have ( fairy tales ) go on tept me how much would a pinz be in Malaysia :-D

Actually shipping aint that bad. I posted a few finds (other vehicles) in the scrapyard bit as we helped get some back to UK http://www.shropshiregunbus.co.uk/

They are currently overhauling 3

This is the UK look :)

Edited by fesm_ndt

:) you've done a great job transforming that pinz ,, my brother works at an independent garage doing repairs to pinzgauers , had two 6x6's in not long ago for repairs to the auto trans ,,

here's a 1993 that's still service it'd sat at base for 18 months waiting for parts :-| ,, it's just been in for repaint , supposedly its only got a 1.9turbo diesel , great machine all the same :)

silverbusplusyouthsdadsbuspics175.jpg

here's a 1993 that's still service it'd sat at base for 18 months waiting for parts :-| ,, it's just been in for repaint , supposedly its only got a 1.9turbo diesel , great machine all the same :)

I wonder what part as nearly everything is out there.

Yep P93, slightly different grille, intercooled with a really stupid fuel filler (UK MOD :banghead:)

Mines a P90, I got the same winch, but different front bar work. Trying to buy some P93 bits now as thinking of going auto box and the intercooler would be nice.

Maybe will go do some work on the Pinz today. Talking about the scrapyard stuff that maintenance trailer in my other post is around 600 quid as did a quick run up there yesterday

So does he have access to manuals???????

Edited by fesm_ndt
I forgot something

We got 3 in the yard, so the first one has had a lot of bits 'interchanged' so the mechanicals will be kept as spares.

The tub will most likely get reused in a rebuild going to UK as out of all 3 it had the best body.

I have not got anything done on mine for a few weeks, but my mate is catching up fast :)

There was a coat of primer

hi all , fesm_ndt , Millitary have to deal direct with Puch for parts , even thought brothers boss can get a list of parts 1000s of pounds cheaper

,,parts fitted were new differentials ,

The've just got another one in for repaint and new transfer box to be fitted , He's had two in with low miles that needed auto gearboxes ,, on getting them repaired it was found that the trans are just the same as a saloon car gearbox , so they added stronger internals ,, pic of the one needing the transfer below ,, its got the 5 cylinder 2.4 vw engine , again this is a 1993 ,, learnt something today the reg is classed as the K series and like GB reg would be in 1993/4 = L reg , millitary = KL , , . In the background of the pic is a haglund in for breaking think its got the mercedes 6 cylinder OM602/?? turbo diesel

silverbusplusyouthsdadsbuspics176.jpg

He's had two in with low miles that needed auto gearboxes ,, on getting them repaired it was found that the trans are just the same as a saloon car gearbox , so they added stronger internals

Yeah the auto box is a fairly standard ZF box (ZF4HP22 I think), Land Rovers and BMW's have them. I wouldn't mind knowing what kit they put in though as that sounds interesting....... I've never diasassembled an auto box as always had a phobia about them, so have to do one one day.

Apparently the one part impossible to get is the torque convertor as the Pinz one is different.

The MOD ones have the fold down windscreen kit, which one of my fellow Pinz nuts want.

No spanner swinging for me this weekend as negotiating to buy a 6x6 Pinz for some attachments I am wanting, note not needing. The problem with doing car projects, you start looking at accessories

Great. Thanks Mike. A splash of paint makes all the difference, doesn' t it?

Good luck with the rest of the resoration. Downhill all the way now :coffee:

It helps having a spare drive train as although it's prettied up, I want to get into the innards.

So the idea is service the spare bits from the spare car, then swap out.

Then maybe a trailer :cool2:

Yeah the auto box is a fairly standard ZF box (ZF4HP22 I think), Land Rovers and BMW's have them. I wouldn't mind knowing what kit they put in though as that sounds interesting....... I've never diasassembled an auto box as always had a phobia about them, so have to do one one day.

Apparently the one part impossible to get is the torque convertor as the Pinz one is different.

The MOD ones have the fold down windscreen kit, which one of my fellow Pinz nuts want.

No spanner swinging for me this weekend as negotiating to buy a 6x6 Pinz for some attachments I am wanting, note not needing. The problem with doing car projects, you start looking at accessories

, yes think a few of us seem to have phobias with them auto trans , I've an S class W140 and the box is playing up as it changes into third , but I've a spare box were first has gone and was thinking of swaping first out of one and putting into the other its just knowing which gear is , which supose if i strip one right down if may become apparent ,,

not to sure but think they said that the auto upgraded brake bands parts were from a sprinter type trans