GMC Workshop Van

HWade

Well Chaps

I have been looking for a shop van for a while and was finally tipped off about one standing in someones garden in Hampshire. So last Friday i set off with the van of tools and my 12 year old daughter to take a look at the vehicle, I had been told that it had been standing for over 5 years so was not to sure what to expect.

On arrival after trying to fight my way through the owners house floor to ceiling with news pappers we got to the rear garden.At first I wondered what i was doing there it looked in a sorry old state. the front floor wells were full of leaves, it hadnt had a cover over it all of the time outside. After unloading the van of tools I set to work on the engine, i hooked up a battery and tried the starter and it turned over. With that the plugs came out and were cleaned followered by the points and ditributor cap. these were all put back on and i made a gravity fed fuel tank, to the carb. I wired up a new coil, gave it a spin on the starter and yes it burst into life.After filling the rad which still had antifreeze in after all this time of standing. I ran her up again and tried to move her and sure enough it drove back and forwards. With this I stopped the engine and started to look at the body, it does need quite alot of work but it can be restored. After the owner eventually finding me the key to the back doors, once opened apart from thousands of spiders webbs, the work benches were still fitted complete with lights and also the bench mounted (AC Spark plug cleaner and tester) This device was still connected to the air lines in the truck.Well it gets better there were even awnings for both sides of the truck incluing all the poles, even the pioneer kit was complete.

Well after doing some sums i had a bit of a haggle with the man and a deal was struck.

It was agreed that I would collect the truck on Tuesday 24th Feb which i did yesterday and I am pleased to say that it all went smoothly I managed to back the truck out of the jungle onto the road and up onto the truck.

Heres a few pics will keep you all updated as the restoration begins.

Thanks

Howard

GMC 011.jpg

GMC 001.jpg

004.jpg

GMC 005.jpg

GMC 008.jpg

GMC 006.jpg

GMC 007.jpg

Edited by HWade

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well regards the steering the previous owner had the sense to remove the wheel as it was a wooden one, and its in great shape. I am still undecided wheather or not to convert the inside to a camper. That was the reason for getting a shop van. But after finding this one with all the kit I dont know what to do.The work benchs will all unclip and come out so i could always put these into storage or sell these on.The spark plug cleaner has a name on it. (AC PLUG DOCTOR) quite a nice piece of kit on its own I wonder how many of these are still about.Well thats it for now i will take pics as and when things things are done, I do have someone comming tomorrow to price up the grit blasting. I have to remove the body first.

Regards

Howard

Well

I got stuck in to the GMC today with help from a fello shop van owner, we have started to remove some of the rotten outer tin work only to find more rotten steel underneath, nothing a mig welder and fresh steel sheet cant put right. I also had a front wheel off to check brake condition they look liked they had just been fitted done no work at all. Even the cylinders were as new condition.We did try to bleed brakes but 4 of the rear Flexi pipes have collapsed so will need replacing. Also need to take a look at the master cylinder.

Well thats it for now. Heres a couple pf pics of the body with outer skin removed.

Thanks Howard

GMC 002.jpg

GMC 003.jpg

Hi Howard, Rex Ward keeps the brake flexi pipes, they seem to be prone to failure and along with a brake spring is one of the items it is advisable to carry with you in your spares kit. Have you got a TM for the GMC as from memory I'm pretty sure that when you are bleeding the brakes you have to start from the hydrovac. Sorry if I'm teaching grandmother to suck eggs but just trying to help:-D

Well today I spent a few more hours on the truck, I finished stripping the old tin off one side of the workshop body.I then moved to the cab I managed to remove both running boards, and all of the bolts that hold the cab down to the chassis in readyness to lift it off. I have also removed the front floor panels. Heres a couple more pics.

GMC 007.jpg

GMC 003.jpg

GMC 001.jpg

Cant believe he has finally parted company with it, i first enquired about That Jimmy about 10 years ago!!!! and it had been parked up for a few years then!

Im currently rebuilding the engine from a Dodge Wc the same fella had in the front garden for donkeys years, unfortunately the plugs had been left out for most of them years!

Good luck with the restoration, good to see it finally on the road to recovery.

Baz

Well

I have to admit that there is carpet under the truck, but its better than laying on concrete,and after all the truck has stood outside for ten years it needs spoiling a bit.

Howard

Hello Tony

your right about that carpet now in the skip, I have decided to strip out all of the work shop and Iam making it into camper area. Hoping to get the body off the weekend.

Regards

Howard

Hello Jack

I beleave its an ex Swiss truck judging by the grey paint under the Hood, and judging by the general condition it has been very well maintained.The brakes are like new and it has demountable drums so thats a big bonus,I have decided to strip out the work shop and use as a camper, it did come with original awnings but again a post war add on,the year of truck ,previous owner said 1943 but i will know soon as reg docs arrive.It will be a bit cheaper to run than the Diamond t, she was collected saturday and is now over in Holland.

Regards

Howard

Edited by HWade

A quick up date on the GMC, been over work shop earlier and all u brackets holding on the shop van body are now removed, I also had to remove the fuel tank as this is fitted to the body and not the chassis, and also removed all the mud guards and the battery boxs that hung down under the body. I have a lorry with a mounted crane arriving on friday afternoon to lift off the body. Will take some pics of this and add friday eavening.

Howard

Heres a few pics of the truck now with the front inner and outer wings removed and also the front grill. Have also removed the petrol tank and spare wheel holder all u bolts are also removed body and the cab are ready for removoing.

Howard

GMC 001.jpg

GMC 003.jpg

GMC 005.jpg

GMC 004.jpg

Hello Mark

I know that I wont have the body done this year, well I very much doubt it. But I think I can get it up and running as a chaasis cab, but we will see. I am on the look out for a sandblasting setup, but these seem to be thin on the ground secondhand.I had a quote for the chassis to be blasted and nearly fell over when he told me what it would cost.But there theres always a wire brush and grinder but you dont get the same results.

Howard