GMC Workshop Van

HWade

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well after checking the levels and putting in £30 of petrol she fired up and off we set, the truck ran very well, no nasty bangs or noises.I did get some water blowing from the over flow pipe on the radiator but i put this down to the engine finding its own level.What more can I say,Iam very happy so this now leaves me to collecting and fitting on the cargo body.

Regards

Howard.

003.jpg

004.jpg

Edited by HWade

Hello Degsy

I did wonder wheather to put an exspantion tank on it, saves having antifreeze blowing all over the axle ect.Just another job to do,just a thought.

Before I go and get this cargo body Ive got to go and buy 2 11ft lengths of 3"x3" for the body to sit on. Getting it tomorrow all being well. I then have to mark where all the rivetts are in the chassis rails and mark the wood and drill out a small hole in the wood to allow the wood to sit flush on the chassis rail. I also have managed to source a set of vaccume wiper motors.

Cheers

Howard

Edited by HWade

Glad to see all went well. The rad level seems to be just below the baffle plate in the filler neck, if I fill mine up it will dribble out as it gets hot and makes a puddle, generally when I stop in the petrol station and people come up to me and say the rads leaking !!!! then it stops and stays at level till I top it up again.

hello yep thats what mine is doing, I can still see the water at the momment ,dont recon its found its own level yet. Well I got the timbers prepaired and painted today for the chassis rails. So all systems go for the cargo body.

Regards

Howard

• 2 months later...

Hello R,Cubed in reply to your question I have sold the workshop body on, it was in need of alot of work,not that I could not have done the work, its finding the time, I started up in bussiness earlier this year,in the form of sand blasting and metal finishing and fitting work.And since starting so far I have been busy, in fact I had someone book in a GMC 353 chassis today for blasting and priming. So alot of my time is going into my business. With regards to my GMC chassis cab it is now up and running and more or less ready to roll. It needs new seat covers and cab canvas but these are on order. Yes it is up for sale can be seen on ebay.But if it does not sell Iam not to worried.Its not priced to give away.Well thats the story hope this helps and explains things.

Happy Christmas

Howard

• 7 months later...

A year on, the conclusion of this thread is that I acquired the vehicle off of Howard back in the Spring (2010) and it is still in the same clean condition, running as a chassie-cab - but I do have a rather novel plan for the old girl!

Old GMC's never die (Unless Rex Ward gets hold of them!) - They just change ownership and body styles and the success of the ownership is always judged by the ability of the new owner to be able to fill the fuel tank!