GMC Workshop Van

HWade

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well heres the update so far, the lorry crane that I was hoping to lift of the body was unable to make it. So undeterred I managed to get hold of a farmer and his trusty teleporter, so with a bit of juggleing and some round wooden posts to roll the body on we managed to get the body off the truck.Once the body was removed we placed it were it was covered untill such time i can get it in the work shop for repairs. Now the body was off the truck I got to work and steam cleaned it.With this done it is now in the work shop. I have managed to get it jacked up and all rear wheels removed and have removed all rear drums to inspect the brakes which are in very very good order. I have also removed all the rear flexi pipes and they all need replacing.Well thats about it for now I have attached a few more pics.

Howard

gmc 004.jpg

gmc 005.jpg

gmc 014.jpg

gmc 015.jpg

gmc 018.jpg

gmc 007.jpg

gmc 017.jpg

Edited by HWade

Hello Mark

Your right the brakes have done hardly anything, I couldnt beleave it when i took the drums off.I was a bit supprised about all four flexy pipes being collapsed but not yo worry I should have the new ones delivered on Monday.

Howard

You got a GREAT Neighbor there! Keep em happy with a case of whatever he likes :cool2: he's better than any no show hire outfit .:argh:

Making huge progress ,at this rate you'll have it finished in a couple of months :yay::yay:

Hi

I dont know about a couple of months but we will see how it goes I need to get the cab off at some stage, its just a case of removing oil pipes and a few wires, choke cable.I left the cab on for now so it is mobile. Now the chassis has been steam cleaned i am wondering wheather to shot blast it or just rub it down and prime it.I will see.

Howard

Well been up the work shop early this morning, decided just to strip out the Handbrake assembly,just as well one of the springs was broken and the lining on the band was down to the rivets. So another order for Rex Ward. Well thats all i did so untill the next visit.

Howard.

GMC 003.jpg

GMC 001.jpg

GMC 002.jpg

Well I managed to get the new rear flexi brake pipes fitted tonight and also the the new exhaust down pipe and silencer, no pics forgot the camerra. All being well the wheels and other items like the bonnett and wings are being collected later this week for sand blasting.

well thats about for now will keep you updated.

Howard

Well Jack I have Got to admit the handbrake linkage was all rather stiff but I put this down to standing, but perhaps it wasnt releasing correctly when the truck was being used.But I was supprised to see the band in such a worn out state.A new one is on the way, yet another order from Rex W.

Howard

Well I went over to the workshop this morning,I had to fit a starter motor to a generator, and then got on with the GMC I managed to get the rest of the truck blocked up so all wheels are now removed I have had all the hubs off and all brakes seem fine. I awaited for a friend of mine to turn up so i could bleed the entire brake system, this we managed to do I did have a problem with one of the unions but I managed to stop the leak.All of the brakes appear to work fine and I held on pressure to the brakes then looked for any leaks and I am pleased to say that everything seems fine.I decided to fit new points condenser and rotor arm. And on doing this the truck refused to run I double checked the gap infact I tried all manner of different things but it would only run on fitting back the old points ect. So god knows what was wrong there.I infact tried 2 new sets of points and both failed to start the truck.After this I had to call it a day on a promise to the good lady car hunting we even managed to decide on the car so another successful day. I may well do a bit tomorrow but we will see I am really waiting on information on a sand blaster so untill i get this theres not to much for me to do. I may well start stripping out the the shop van body.

Well thats it for now.Oh yes i have managed to find a hard cab so i may well be getting this for the truck rather than have an open cab,if this does happen then my open cab will be available for sale plus some front wings ect.

Howard.

I met a car designer a few years back, in the UK. He claimed that the closed cab GMC was one of the most appealing vehicles ever constructed. I agree. (Even though I'm a Dodge WC51 owner, which also is a great looking vehicle)

The GMC Workshop van equipped as a camper must be one of the most practical MV to bring to meetings and outings. Bunk beds, running water, kitchenette, - sigh!

As always,

Hi

Yep i totally agree I got tired of dragging a trailer around and then unloading setting up ect, once i have finished the chassis cab i can put my mind to the body and get it to how i exactly want it. This should then mean just pull up on the show ground put the awning up and job done.Well thats the plan.

Howard

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am still here but not alot to report at the momment.I have bought a new set of AC spark plugs.Going to fit these tomorrow, i have done the points and given her an oil change.

Soon as I start sand blasting ect i will post a few more pics.

Regards

Howard

gmc 002.jpg