Scammell Accident

Just a heads up from Facebook - a ward-mate of the driver has posted to say

Hi I am actually in the bed next to the man that was pulled out of this wreck, he was hit from behind by a foreign arttic at very high speed.[/Quote]

Am happy to state <driver> has suffered only a broken neck broken arm broken ribs and multiple cuts.

He was on his to stourport on seven steam fair to allow people to enjoy and admire his loved passion.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies if this has been uploaded already and if it's not appropriate I'll delete it. Photo taken from another site.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79321[/ATTACH]

****! he was very lucky to 'only' have those injuries looking at the damage closer up!

A well known Pioneer. I wish the driver a speedy recovery from what was clearly a huge accident.

Jules

yes I recognise the plate number from various pictures I have seen in here.

I don't know maybe we can send get well cards from around the world to cheer him up?????????

Also, anyone remember that bloke who got caught taking driving tests for others for money? I believe they charged him with 100 offences they found out about.

There's two of these people in the News now. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-23325612 Helping people with the Theory test and Bus/Lorry Theory tests. Also says 861 Test passes have been revoked since 2009!!

I saw the photo of the Scammel. I hope the Driver has a speedy recovery and the truck is rebuilt.

Update courtesy of PWMVC

M40 Scammel Pioneer Crash Update. .

We've been informed by one of our readers, that the Pioneer driver, is alive and recovering in hospital.

Suffering a broken neck, ribs and arm, along with multiple cuts and bruises. Michael Bodsworth from Kent, was travelling up the M40 early in the morning, heading to Stourport Steam Rally, when his Pioneer Combo was struck at speed from behind, by a foreign truck driver.

Please join us in wishing Michael a speedy and full recovery...

A appeal for help, spares and donations to get the Scammel back on the road has been mentioned, if we hear more, we of course will let you know.

PWC..

There is also a 'before' photo on Flickr:-

Scammell Pioneer

Very sobering indeed! Considering that the Scammell ended up upside-down, the driver is very lucky to escape with his life.

Edited by utt61
Posted duplicate photo.

Hi all.

I have been reading this thread with some interest.

First thoughts must go out to the Scammell driver and lets hope he has a speedy recovery. No one wants to see anyone get injured in what was a nasty collision.

In saying that, there are a lot of people on here quick to condem the other party. It is very easy to point the finger at the other driver as it was a rear end collision and looks to be a fairly straight case of not paying enough attention.

HOWEVER -

Details are going to emerge about this accident that are at present unknown by the vast majority of people.

I would suggest this thread should be kept to wishing the driver well, suggesting useful tips on how to avoid some incidents and less about hanging the other party or pointing the finger of blame.

When the full details of this collision emerge, there will be some people having to re-think their views and having to admit they were a little quick to shoot the other party.

Anyway lets wish both parties well and await the final version of events.

Markheliops

....In saying that, there are a lot of people on here quick to condem the other party. It is very easy to point the finger at the other driver as it was a rear end collision and looks to be a fairly straight case of not paying enough attention.

HOWEVER -

Details are going to emerge about this accident that are at present unknown by the vast majority of people.

I would suggest this thread should be kept to wishing the driver well, suggesting useful tips on how to avoid some incidents and less about hanging the other party or pointing the finger of blame.

When the full details of this collision emerge, there will be some people having to re-think their views and having to admit they were a little quick to shoot the other party...

Are there? I've just re-read the entire thread Mark, and apart from a couple of comments to the effect that the driver of the Scammell can't be at fault if he was travelling at 25mph and was rear-ended, I can't see where anyone has made any attempt to condemn or hang the other party. He was either hit from behind by a fast approaching vehicle, or he pulled out into the path of a fast moving vehicle.

Yes there has been discussion in general about the incidence of rear-ending, and yes by the most common cause, but from what I can see most posters have gone out of their way to make it clear they are not passing judgement or condemning the other party in this incident.

In fact in the main it has been precisely about what you recommend - how to avoid such incidents, which considers the scenario of being hit from behind rather than pulling out into fast moving traffic.

I have a set of those magnetic SLOW VEHICLE marker boards in the post thanks to one excellent post, and I am reviewing again my thoughts on movement of big slow vehicles on fast / busy roads. Whilst it might be our right to drive them, it is also our responsibility to do so with a care for others.

It is easy to get complacent out on the roads, and discussions like this one - if kept sensible as you rightly suggest - can only be good for our own (and other peoples') safety. If as you suggest this incident may have a surprise in store concerning the cause, then it is even more important we eventually learn from it.

Edited by N.O.S.

While it has to be wrong to point the finger at anyone when not all of the facts are yet known, it is an unfortunate truth that round here (M2/M20) there are far too many accidents involving foreign trucks that are mechanically faulty or their drivers are asleep, watching telly, not licenced etc.

As I write this my son (who works for a truck dealership) is attending a callout at Dover. A Polish artic, fresh off the ferry, has been pulled over by the VOSA. The vehicle is fully loaded but has no trailer brakes!! It is fortunate the VOSA guys stopped it, otherwise its driver would have happily set off up the M20 with a 44 ton deathtrap.

• 2 months later...