early Mw's how many left?

rippo

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The awnser to some of these may be in the forum somewhere but here are some old photos of preserved MWs, question is are they around now as they probably are and who now owns them the first five were taken at the old Shottersbrooke rallies in the very early 1970s and the last one at one of the early Duxford shows. Lets hope they all pop up in the right order this time

chers

Les

hmvf1.jpg

hmvf2.jpg

hmvf4.jpg

hmvf5.jpg

hmvf6.jpg

hmvf7.jpg

The first pic "G" reg MW was the late Phil Passey of Newbury it was a very complete wireless truck complete with all its radio gear, Tony Oliver then owned it for some years, the MW below with canvas cab was my brothers, with my Dingo parked next to it ! He bought MW from the local scout group and restored it, don't know where it is now...all a long time ago

Edited by Nick Johns

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a story I've been told very recently , talking about the German occupation of Belgium , and very related to the MW thread , is that a lot of MW's have been rescued from the "Dunkirk area" , lots of them were brought back behind the front line , where they have been repaired and repainted in German "Feldgrau" , it happened also in a Ford garage in our small town here in Flanders,

My friend said the German soldiers were very fond of the MW's:D:D:D

Is there anybody who knows were the studs were fitted on the very Early MW battery boxes ? I have seen a very Early MW picture still with the big holes in the bumper which has them fitted to the sides , others have them in front of gear lever , and at the wooden box at the back .

John it is an optical illusion it goes the same as in the instruction book , but because your able is downward you bought the side move of the pipe , yes silencer has a little eye welded on it were it hangs on the chassis bracket .

I still have another brand new down pipe , if you want pictures of it I can dig it out .

About the battery box , do the cables go in at the front near gear lever or at the back ? I saw the drawing in several manuals that I have , but have to make a copy of the picture from were they were mounted on the side to show to you .

I already wonder for years what the round curve or ting is at the front of the battery box on the drawing.

• 3 weeks later...

Ha next question on these early Bedfords there should be a spare spark plug holder , (same as QL an O series )mounted under the aeroscreens on the wood , (later ones have it near the air cleaner elbow .) Is there somebody who could sell me one?

Nick

I take it you are looking for the concertina felt type that you pump the case to clean? if you manage to find a source I would be very interested in one for my Leyland Retriever. I have considered making one but I'm not sure how successful that would be.

Pete

Moths really like the felt bellows , I can get the Felt material here , but it is a big job to stitch them together with the metal rings in as well , if they are not in , the engine will suck it together . best way to go is a dry modern element .

Here is a picture from an early Bedford still with thick civilian enameled badge and holes in bumper with battery box with side locking nuts on it P1010445.jpg

P1010444.jpg