early Mw's how many left?

rippo

Hello Louis,

There are two other MW's from contact V3733 on the forum, and i know of another not on here. The two truck on here both are 12000 chassis numbers similar to yours, one them them has the same brass plate as mine on the body, so i think your would have had one too. I have seen the small contact plates on the dash, but only on later mw's, but not copper. Just out of interest an you put a picture of the plate up.

So far i have not found any referance to chassis numbers by contract number, only the RLC museum.

I think i have seen some pictures of your other dash. From what i remember it is a very early one, when they were built around the ox/oy pressings. A T8000 contract number would suggest this too. Have you got any pictures of it?

Regards

John

Hello John and Louis,

I've saved the following info on my PC which I picked from this forum!

MW chassis numbers and years by Richard Farrant (HMVF.co.uk-forum)

1940 1001 to 18750

1941 18751 to 33719

1942 33720 to 46021

1943 46022 to 55885

1944 55886 to 64484

1945 64485 to 66995

This is the info I have from my own Bedford MW:

chassis number 66674

motor number MW 72177

V.M. Contract number S-2216 (from the contract plate on the dash)

date of production April 1945 (from the shock absorbers)

So 321 more were built after mine

When I had a look at the Bedford authorised service parts catalogue I discovered that the list of contract numbers must be of a chronological order since the S-2216 contract number is at the near end of the list (1945) and yours V3733 is at the beginning (194..?). So this list could help dating your vehicle to some extent!

John, how can I contact the RLC museum? I would like to now if the number on the bonnet is the right sensus number! I 'm also interested in the history of course!

Regards,

Danny P

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Danny has got on information is not entirely correct , In the files wich Bart Vanderveen had ( in his Bedford book he also made a short list with numbers and for ease said first delivered in 1940), it started at chassis 1001, and in sept 39 the first contract for 50 MW for AA service were delivered , from there there were 2 more contracts , one which was finalized in 1940. Easy way so see 3rd batch is the fitment of double working shock absorbers , and beefed up military step brackets . first 2 batches had the pre war civy step brackets.

What Danny has got on information is not entirely correct , In the files wich Bart Vanderveen had ( in his Bedford book he also made a short list with numbers and for ease said first delivered in 1940), it started at chassis 1001, and in sept 39 the first contract for 50 MW for AA service were delivered , from there there were 2 more contracts , one which was finalized in 1940. Easy way so see 3rd batch is the fitment of double working shock absorbers , and beefed up military step brackets . first 2 batches had the pre war civy step brackets.

Hello Maurice,

Are you refering to the chassis numbers vs. production dates or my approach regarding the chronological order of the contract numbers in the parts list?

Regards,

Danny P

My truck is chassis number 18073 (chassis numbers seem all over the place!?) Contract T8957 MW. I also have a number stamped in one of the original body bits, 14198 - any ideas?

I need a brass plate for the body side and the Bedford chassis number plate for the dash if any one has such things or knows of anyone reproducing them?

My truck is chassis number 18073 (chassis numbers seem all over the place!?) Contract T8957 MW. I also have a number stamped in one of the original body bits, 14198 - any ideas?

I need a brass plate for the body side and the Bedford chassis number plate for the dash if any one has such things or knows of anyone reproducing them?

So this is a 1940 dated truck according to Richard Farrants list. Typical that the contract number of this early bedford is at the end of the service parts list. My approach that the contract numbers would be in a chronological order is then totally misplaced!:-D

Danny P

So this is a 1940 dated truck according to Richard Farrants list. Typical that the contract number of this early bedford is at the end of the service parts list. My approach that the contract numbers would be in a chronological order is then totally misplaced!:-D

Danny P

Hi Danny,

That list is, as Maurice said, from Bart Vanderveen's Bedford book. The reason for it giving production figures from 1940 and not late 1939, may well stem back to the British motor industries' system of starting production figures from around Autumn time, a bit like a financial year. I seem to recollect it might have been around August come to think of it, that would, for instance make 1940 figures go from Aug 39 to Aug 40. Just an idea.

Another problem I have noticed when trying to work out census numbers from chassis number on Bedfords. They never run in sequence and I believe this was because the census number was only allocated to the particular vehicle when it arrived at the RAOC Vehicle Depot. For lots of reasons, vehicles could be out of sequence in delivery, possibly due to rectification of defects at the factory, etc.

Hi

I would like to comment on the subject of chassis numbers and the link to the census number on war time british army vehicles, I have been researching this for nearly forty years, and I have come to the same conclusion as Richard.

Bart Vanderveen and I had numerous conversations over many years, infact up to his untimely death on this subject, and hours spent talking to people involved in the allercation of applying census numbers to vehicles.

regards

Wally

After cleaning my Canadian chevrolet C15 no 11cab , the census number on the door was within the range given to the 4x2 contract , but no mathematical relation to the chassis number , they must have been parked in line and just numbered .

On the other hand the USA numbers on the Sherman`s are in line with the frame numbers.

After cleaning my Canadian chevrolet C15 no 11cab , the census number on the door was within the range given to the 4x2 contract , but no mathematical relation to the chassis number , they must have been parked in line and just numbered .

On the other hand the USA numbers on the Sherman`s are in line with the frame numbers.

Hi Maurice,

As you say, some vehicles are numbered in sequence with chassis number, Daimler Scout cars for starters and BSA motorcycles. Both of these examples I have seen in factory photos and appears that census numbers were painted on before despatch.

Hi John,

Here is the story about my spare cab.

I was browsing on the internet for green stuf like the most of us do now and then.

Suddenly there was my attention atracted to an advertice called "interrior of a Bedford MW"

and with it was a photo of a Bedford MWR with flat tyres who have been sold last year in the UK.

While i was looking at the photees i saw it was an aeroscreen cab + a toolbox the one on the right hand side under the back body. I saw that the mountings of the window were stil on it and some remains of the windows to.

After some emailing up and down i did get an appointment for a visit it was a 2,5 hour ride up and it turned out that the man was a relic hunter for almost 35 years now and he could tell me that he did find this cab with contract number T 8102 near a Dutch air force base in the ground and dug it up.

It was stored in his collection of dug up finds....from his garden you look right against the cab of a Canadian F15 who had run into a tree.

As you can understand i am happy to have this spare one for these bits wich i can use to improve the looks of my wee aeroscreen.

Cheers,

Louis

Hi LOUIS, I have a 1940 bedford mwd. Look on page 1, reg number PFF 301 .The chassis number 12932,contract number T8957 , WD NUMBER Z4178614.I hope that this is of some help .What is your chassis number Louis ? Yours Mick.

Hi Mick,

I am the latest owner of the Bedford with registration plate PSJ 718.

She have ofcourse Dutch plates these days BE-68-17.

Her chassis number is MWD 12368 wich isnt to far away from yours.

Her contract number is V 3733

Her WD number is Z 4175395

Did you buy your Bedford with the 2 big headlamps on it..?

Or did you find them..?

Cheers,

Louis

Edited by Louis

Hi Mick,

I am going for the thirth time to Cabour that is an 1940 event and is held on the area known as Dunkirk pocket.

Maybe that one would be nice to join in with lots of early MW,s.

Cheers,

Louis

Edited by Louis

Hi John,

Send them already an email so who knows whats instores there.

I did find in the past big side lights made out of steel so those are already been painted and ready to get on.

Mick i think its this year in June.

The organizers do invited people to that even it isnt a big one but a good qualety one.

Cheers,

Louis

• 3 weeks later...

It must have gone through a major rebuilt at one point , front and cab are from a later era , early ones had for example in front of the windscreen wood covered with sheet metal , this one has the later only metal bonnet rest , several more details look differently , chassis is in all respects correct, with correct shocks and other early fittings.

It must have gone through a major rebuilt at one point , front and cab are from a later era , early ones had for example in front of the windscreen wood covered with sheet metal , this one has the later only metal bonnet rest , several more details look differently , chassis is in all respects correct, with correct shocks and other early fittings.

Thanks Maurice, was good meeting you again.

I've attached a picture with the areas Maurice pointed out to me earlier this week. The area circled in red is wood covered with sheet metal on early aeroscreen MW's, as opposed to sheet metal only on later ones.

Also the area circled in yellow has indentations on early aeroscreen MW's, where they used cab pressings from OY - see second picture.

Did I get that right Maurice?

Thanks,

Hanno

LeclercBedfordAA_redlined.JPG

100_2591_redlined.jpg

Hi,

You never know where these vehicles have been in the war...

Might have seen seferal times the REME workshop.

They did use what was for hand...

Also seen Bedfords with early and later specs on the same car.

It was important to let them work, they didnt look at how it should have been

when it came out of the Vauxhall factory..:D

Cheers,

Louis