early Mw's how many left?

rippo

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the variations, there are so many where do you want me to start.

I´d like to compare a list of visual clues. Engine side panels, dashboard, etc. Maybe dead easy for those who have been there and done that, but not for those who have yet to study the vehicle in detail. Please share the knowledge you have gathered so far.

Thanks,

Hanno

Edited by mcspool

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
He has a small private collection,including live ww2 firearms,which they use on the ranges.I would have to write as he for obvious reasond doesnt go out of his way to tell people about it.It was under a cover so we really didnt get a look.he was looking for aero screens last i heard.The house he lived in has machine gun damage because it had anti aircraft kit on the roof.i thought i told this story earlier in the year there maybe pics.

I have learnt today of the sad loss of this gentleman so wont be able to now contact him.

Nit picky detail I know, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what the regular pattern of 4 drilled holes on the front bumper seen on some vehicles was for? Visible on the sand one attributed to the DLI museum in post 1(is that the name of the Newcastle museum, where I've seen this one?) and also on one of those in post 23. Either side of the radiator area, large and small 'offset'. They suggest the bolting on of some standard bit of kit(s). Any ideas what? Obviously not something just on the earlier models as some later ones have them as well.

This MW has been in the MVT barn in Woodham Ferrers for at least the last 10 years and as far as i know its not moved a wheel in all that time. I think its ashame its not used but is left to gather dust.

Sorry for the pic quality.

MWMVTBarn.jpg

Ian do you know the owner,i think that belongs to a mate of mine,if it is his we discussed it the other day it may soon be going to a new young owner which would be good.i did think of having it but i dont think i could put up with the speed.

Ian do you know the owner,i think that belongs to a mate of mine,if it is his we discussed it the other day it may soon be going to a new young owner which would be good.i did think of having it but i dont think i could put up with the speed.

Over the years a few of us tried to find out who owned the vehicle in the hope it might be for sale but the people with the details would not tell us. All I found out was he lived in London and had other vehicles which he used more regular.

Over the years a few of us tried to find out who owned the vehicle in the hope it might be for sale but the people with the details would not tell us. All I found out was he lived in London and had other vehicles which he used more regular.

Who ever owns it should get own there & check it hasn't been tampered with (or make sure it's still there) in light of recent goings on in the barn...

CW,

I know that MW, recognise the reg number. Speed? They are pretty nippy on the road, and if they have a high speed diff fitted, it makes a lot of difference apparantly. I changed an engine on one once and fitted the postwar version of the 28hp, a 214, it was 100 bhp instead of 72 bhp, you could hang in top gear much longer.

CW,

I know that MW, recognise the reg number. Speed? They are pretty nippy on the road, and if they have a high speed diff fitted, it makes a lot of difference apparantly. I changed an engine on one once and fitted the postwar version of the 28hp, a 214, it was 100 bhp instead of 72 bhp, you could hang in top gear much longer.

Richard i think this is MLs Mw,i will call him monday,

Ian .Lee,what other vehicles are there that will give me a better idea,if theres been problems there i will let him know.

The four holes located around the starting handle hole? As far as i know this was for a pump using the starting handle dog on the engine as a pto, i have a picture of an early tanker with one on, but i guess this could have other uses than a pump too.

Is this one at the dli museum?

The two holes in line with the headlamps are manufacturing holes all mw's seem to have these to, apart from mine which has one, :sweat:wonder where that went?

Now you point it out the desert one does have two holes at either side of the starting handle hole doesn't it? Didnt see the top two initially. So yet another set-up! A pto arrangement sounds ok, and I can see that 4 holes for that would be better than two. Most ones seem to have just the two, but then the outer larger dia. two as well. Check your stock pics again though as some of the vehicles do not appear to have any holes including the outer 'manufacturing' holes.

I have a pic of EMR 256 taken in July 2005 and it was in a museum/storage in Newcastle. I dont know if this museum goes under the title DLI, it was only a brief visit I made. PFF 301 was at Elvington W&W in 2007, nice of you to include my pic :), I had a short chat with the owner. From memory he was from Halifax, but I could be mixing him up with another MW owner who was also there. The motor was sweet as a nut, had been rebuilt and started on the button. Nice to see it more or less in original untarted condition.

Just out of interest what would you do here- I'm rebuilding the tailgate of my MW and when it was first constructed 'in the field' (converted from a 'C') it had the step reinforcing plates put on the 'wrong way round' i.e. the kickplate part is on the outside when the gate is shut. Would you rebuild with the original error or would you put them the 'right' way now?

IMG_1052.JPG

IMG_1957.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

Hi

I have jsut acquired this MW which I found in a field in Malta and which I would like to restore and then loan to the Malta Historic Vehicles Trust, www.maltahistoricvehicles.com

Can anybody tell me whether there is a good restoration manual (with drawings) of this vehicle?

Also, can anybody throw further light on what the vehicle was from the photo?

I am planning to repaint it in RAF colours but don't have enough photos yet. Any restored ones about in RAF colours?

Many thanks for all this

George Said

Malta Historic Vehicles Trust

Malta GC

Bedford-MWD-15-cwt_-B.jpg

Hi George

Check your 'personal messages' at the top right.

You are going to be busy eh? A point about RAF colours. As yours, like mine, is a later version, '44 onwards, then during the war it would not be painted in RAF blue /grey at all. From that date all MW's for the RAF and Army came off the production line in the same olive drab. I would have thought, but have no photo or other evidence to back this up, that RAF ones on Malta probably had the same distinctive 'Malta' stonework camo as army vehicles. If however you are painting it in postwar RAF colours then blue/grey would be correct. Depending upon which post war period, then it may require gloss black front mudguards and front bumper. Maybe Ted could pitch in on this one?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Clive.we new Phillip and visited him last xmas,it was such a shock for us all.

Its nice to know you have the Bedford,you do realise there is a tradition that who ever owns the bedford has to provide the accomadation for foreign visitors at Xmas.:rofl::-D

Thats guaranteed to put the MW back on the market :rofl:

Shush they havnt met me yet,might at least get one free night.:cool2:

Hi to everyone,

Philip had started dismantling the Aero Screen MWD. So at the moment I have a rolling chassis and a multitude of spare parts. The side curtains and the convoy bar are the right ones for their period so are the big side lamps that go on the mudguards. It would be a good idea to exchange chassis Nos. as I have quite a collection of these. There are at least 4 Aero screen MWs in Malta. My chassis No. is MWD6992. This makes it I guess early 1940. Not the first contract but pretty early. Tomorrow I am off to Italy where I will be seeing one of the two Italian MWs.

Clive