early Mw's how many left?

rippo

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
any chance you could pm me his details? and i'll write to him, i could do with a holiday!! what kind of condition was it in?

He has a small private collection,including live ww2 firearms,which they use on the ranges.I would have to write as he for obvious reasond doesnt go out of his way to tell people about it.It was under a cover so we really didnt get a look.he was looking for aero screens last i heard.The house he lived in has machine gun damage because it had anti aircraft kit on the roof.i thought i told this story earlier in the year there maybe pics.

This ones from holland, i've not, as yet seen another one as early as this. The gentleman that owns it has spent 20 years restoring it to factory condition and it is immaculate. his knowledge of the early production is amazing he put me right on so many things!!
That gentleman is a friend of mine. The Bedford was the first of many more HMV´s he has restored over the past 25 years. Would you believe this MW was restored more than 20 years ago? Well, it was!

As far as I know, this is the only aero screen MW in Holland.

Here´s a sample of the later ones:

IMG_0616_resized.jpg

Hanno

Edited by mcspool

cilbedfordmw.jpg

This is the one from lover! Saw this one earlier this year and met the owner. Ron is a gentleman indeed and was good enough to help me with some early parts for mine. This ones chassis number is 500 after mine.

Looks like it´s the same as this one:

Hants_Pageant_07_083.jpg

Is the Sand mw, generaaltje2160, the one at overloon? i give my right leg for those early side panels!!!

generaaltje2160.jpg

This one was privately owned and came onto the market when the Dutch owner died. Don´t know where it went. I last was in Overloon in 2006, did not see an MW there & then (see my pics here: http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=916&ppuser=24).

H.

I think its a later one converted to aeroscreens, the dash isn't right for an early one, and the aeroscreens aren't right.

That's interesting 'cos this is the advertising blurb for it:

THIS VEHICLE HAS SPENT MANY YEARS IN A MUSEUM

I HAVE ONLY USED IT OCCASIONALLY FOR LOCAL SHOWS, (I WOULD THEREFORE RECOMMEND SLIGHT RECOMMISSIONING I.E. SERVICE, OIL CHANGE, GREASE UP, ETC.) HOWEVER IT IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION FOR ITS AGE.

ENGINE IS 3500cc PETROL

IT IS BELIEVED TO HAVE BEEN A PROTOTYPE FOR USE AS AN ANTI-AIRCRAFT GUN CARRIER, THEN CONVERTED TO A GENERATOR TRUCK. THE GENERATOR IS POWERED BY A WILLEYS JEEP ENGINE - THIS IS COMPLETE ALTHOUGH I HAVE NEVER USED IT OR INDEED TRIED TO START IT.

THE TRUCK RUNS A1, IS MOT EXEMPT AND TAX IS FREE DUE TO ITS AGE, CURRENT TAX DISC EXPIRES 28 FEBRUARY 2009.

AT PRESENT IT IS RUNNING FROM A REAR MOUNTED JERRY CAN AS THE TWIN PETROL TANKS TAKE SOME FILLING!!

RELIABLE, RARE WORLD WAR TWO TRUCK, MILITARY NUMBER KNOWN FROM MUSEUM OF ARMY TRANSPORT RECORDS, DECLARED MANUFACTURED IN 1943, BUT FROM A MILITARY TRANSPORT BOOK BELIEVED TO BE A 1938 PROTOTYPE (ALTHOUGH NOT GUARANTEED)

(I added the red highlight...)

I've not heard of one in france so thats a new one, the pictures would be intresting.
Here's the only picture I took. The Bedford MW resides under some trees in the owner's yard, together with a Chevrolet CMP C15 4x2 15-cwt. If I recall correctly, this Bedford was restored from bits and pieces found in France.

Hope this helps,

Hanno

Spoelstra - Normandy 2004 - Bedford MW.jpg

Edited by mcspool

There was a later sand mw in overloon, behind the glass, not in the main hall. I worked near there in 2000 and it was there then. i remembered the early side panels on it, so its probably the same one. I do have some pictures somewhere i'll see if i can find them!!

generaaltje2160.jpg

This MW was offered for sale in 2004: http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3032

It was privately owned before then, but maybe the owner used to store it at the Overloon museum?

Hanno

Edited by mcspool

thanks for the picture, another one for the collection. Where abouts in normandy was it?

My pleasure. Let me know if you want a full size scan.

The owner lives near Caen, would have to have a look if I still have his address. We primarily visited him because a friend wanted to have a look at his Morris-Commercial 8-cwt.

Hanno

35657.jpg

untitled.jpg

i've not seen this one in the flesh but it was sold on milweb about a year ago, these are pictures i found on the internet. if the contract number is correct, it is from the same batch as mine.

Couple more of Z4174965 / UAS 702.

jersey.jpg

kemble06026.jpg

Edited by mcspool