Ward La France Restoration Project Part III

Hi all.

So, here we go again - yet another part to the long running saga which is -

The Ward La France M1A1 Project.

I will try to update with pictures as and when so bear with me. Quick recap -

On way home from Bunker Bash on the M25 - lots of knocking then bang - truck stops and will not turn over. Yep, it's terminal.

Intention is to replace the engine with another petrol engine I have as a spare - bl--dy good job and there was my ex saying - "why do you need another engine."

In the winter I intend to replace the petrol engine with a diesel for no other reason than I need something more reliable and which will enable me to tow a 20 ton plant trailer loaded with a 432 on it.

So the work begins.

I will start this thread with three pictures of my pride and joy cause when I get peed off, I need to remember why I am doing it -

00000002-2.jpg

025m.jpg

033a.jpg

Why do I do it - The Ward La France GRIN.

Markheliops

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry Mark, you'll get it going again. I finally got a tax disc for my Wolf on Thursday, filled it up with fuel, went to the pub. Decided to drive it to work on Friday, I made it 39 out of 43 miles before it decided it had other ideas. Needless to say I now have the engine in bits and am waiting for parts :(

Chris

Looks like with this many volunteers, I'll be taking my usual "supervisory" roll then......:whistle:

I think your engine fault is down to "CARma". Mike and I got his truck done, the CVRT started, and the MUTT running after hibernation, and promptly had punctures on his landie, truck and our trailer. We then had a successful CVRT outing, and your truck dies. I tell you, its CARma.....

I think the answer is to always leave something broken, therfore balancing the "CARmic" forces. [For every vehicle that is fixed/got running, CARma dictates that another breaks/goes wrong, thus balancing this cosmic (or Murpheys/sods) law].

I think the answer is to always leave something broken, therfore balancing the "CARmic" forces.

Well I certainly haven't fixed mine yet, Vince, so don't blame me!

Good job WLFs have cranes, Mark, lets hope you're back guzzling petrol very soon :thumbsup:

:( what a ton of bad luck, I do hope this will be the last chapter in the saga.

Why not stick the Diesel in straight away? Will save you the trouble of having to do it twice.

Here at WLF Towers we've discussed the various options and concluded the diesel is a large undertaking. It has sat unused for 20 years so is unknown (though probably fine), it needs new mounts, exhaust routing, modifications to the winch prop routing, different front end panels, different wiring, different fuel system and uprated 2-line brakes to cope with the extra power. (I planned my conversion for 3 months before doing it.) The petrol engine is a like-for-like swap of a known running engine that Mark already has sitting in his garage. If he wants to get back on the road before W&P, the petrol is the way to go. I've done the job at least 6 times on mine and I'd reckon that with 4 people it's a comfortable day's work.

- Mike

Mark do you know why your engine went bang?

It seemed like a big end/con rod problem as the engine has mechanically seized, and goes clonk when you try to start it.

Don't forget, this can happen to anyone owning a 60 year old truck, regardless of how well maintained, as all the components are now 60 years old.

Smaller engines may be less prone to these sorts of problems, as they are (probably) under less stress than a large engine, and are hauling less weight of truck (WLF engines are notoriously under powered for the size/weight of truck when compared with a GMC) relative to engine size. However, they are still more than likely made of the same quality steel, so could theoretically suffer the same problems.

Hi all.

Many thanks for the messages and kind words - but hey - this is the forum so a bit of micky taking will be excepted and expected!!!

Not sure why the engine went pear shaped Jack - perhaps it has something to do with my mis-behaving at Bunker Bash and yes Lee - the sneezing Ferret's did wake me up. I would suspect old age played a part in the saga - so watch out Dave Copper - any moment you may just stop working without warning. LOL.

I am sure once the replacement engine has been installed we will have a look at the knackered engine just to be nosey. Priority is obviously to get the beast going again and worry about the other stuff later.

Oh and the lady in the picture - what picture, er what lady, dunno what you are referring too. LOL.

Keep you all updated.

Markheliops

Awww Mark. Nothing but bad luck mate, really sorry to hear it. I have a couple of new sets of overalls that you, or guests, may wish to use. Give me a bell when you are going to be there and I will try and get over to the farm

Best Wishes

David

Not sure why the engine went pear shaped Jack - perhaps it has something to do with my mis-behaving at Bunker Bash and yes Lee - the sneezing Ferret's did wake me up. I would suspect old age played a part in the saga - so watch out Dave Copper - any moment you may just stop working without warning. LOL.

Hey Mark what you mean " Stop working ?? :cool2: " I never started working !!! :rofl: Ohhh dont tell me it was that ride around Paddock Wood i had the other week that made that thing go BANG :cry:

One more bit of news to get you and the lads moving on the transplant, have been asked if iboth can be used for another shoot :yay: