Ward La France Restoration Project Part III

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all.

Have managed to sort the video of the road test.

Please excuse the quality of the video. The engine sounds pants in the video and ignore the gear crunching - the transmission oil was cold. That’s my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

http://www.HMVFTV.com/watch/57ab574cf005eb8a7676/Ward-La-France-M1A1

Markheliops

MOD's -

No sound to the video - any ideas.

Ta

Yep sorry about that Mark, we have an ongoing issue with some uploads where the sound is replaced with burps & farts... yours is a lucky one.... no sound...:coffee:

Normal service will be resumed soon

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

As the Ward La France has been so good lately - (not broken down) I have brought it a new piece of equipment.

Wardsiren009.jpg

Wardsiren007.jpg

Wardsiren012.jpg

Origional Ward La France M1A1 siren light.

As a matter of interest, Ward La France and Kenworth wreckers were one of the few American vehicles to be officially fitted with siren lights although every other American vehicle seems to have aquired one.

Difficult to come by and it just so happened a friend of mine had this one in his collection. As you can see, the red paint is coming off the glass lens but no matter, I have some red glass in the shed which my father used when making lead lights.

As an extra, my friend threw in a rather nice M1A1 canvas tool roll.

Wardsiren005.jpg

Wardsiren004.jpg

The siren light pleased me the most as it is a very hard piece of equipment to come by. My friend could have probably sold it for more if he advertised it but he said he would rather sell it to me as he knows it will end up on the vehicle rather than being sold on for profit. Rather nice of him I thought.

Markheliops

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Very nice worthwhile addition,i made leaded lights for pub screens.not a lota people know that.cutting bulls eyes now they drove you up the wall.

Don't suppose you know the whereabouts of another one then?:whistle:

Just got hold of TM9-736 for the M1A1 and can't believe the amount of tools and extra equipment listed for the truck. You could spend a few lifetimes trying to aquire all the correct kit.

Mark,

Will you be upset when I point out that's still not the correct siren light? - the correct one has much more of a flare at the front end, like the bottom of a bell. The lens should therefore be of considerably bigger diameter than the rest of the body. Also the vents for the noise to escape are deeper on the original. Oh, and the lens should be red glass, not red painted...

Just something else to point out on the non-original award winning WLF...

Nice tool roll though :).

- Mike

(ps. in case anyone thinks I'm bitching - I've put up with lots of abuse for my also-non-original sirenlight so I'm getting my own back :-D)

Don't suppose you know the whereabouts of another one then?:whistle:

Genuine ones are about £500 apiece. There was a beautifully restored one at Beaulieu this year but I can't justify that level of expenditure when it costs more than that just to fill the fuel tanks!

- Mike

Mark,

Will you be upset when I point out that's still not the correct siren light? - the correct one has much more of a flare at the front end, like the bottom of a bell. The lens should therefore be of considerably bigger diameter than the rest of the body. Also the vents for the noise to escape are deeper on the original. Oh, and the lens should be red glass, not red painted...

Just something else to point out on the non-original award winning WLF...

Nice tool roll though :).

- Mike

(ps. in case anyone thinks I'm bitching - I've put up with lots of abuse for my also-non-original sirenlight so I'm getting my own back :-D)

OK - I may give you that one Mike.

Anyone know what vehicle this is from?

I'm sure it is WWII period. Made by Federal Enterprises, Chicargo. Model number WL 2L28F3.

Was there only one company who made these siren lights?

It's different to the one in the manual but it is the correct size, bullet shaped and the correct voltage.

I'm wondering if it may have been made by another company.

Anyone want to add to my thoughts.

Markheliops

Amendment to my last post!

I don't suppose anyone knows the whereabouts of a CORRECT one then?

Or three?

Seems like I'll have to join the back of the queue!

Not Nesacarily! If they are making £500 ! Plate has no manufacturer and is marked 12 DC WL 2A23G2 Glass is marked Cycleray Headlamp guide. Could do with some cash for new projects.

sien 1.jpg

siren 2.jpg

Not Nesacarily! If they are making £500 ! Plate has no manufacturer and is marked 12 DC WL 2A23G2 Glass is marked Cycleray Headlamp guide. Could do with some cash for new projects.

'Guide' were a manufacturer of blackout marker lights and blackout headlights. Have a look at the front of your blackout headlight and you'll likely see 'Guide' embossed there. They were certainly still making them into the 70s / 80s as the MUTT has exactly the same design!

To answer Mark's question, Federal are still making sirens and lights. See here: http://www.edarley.com/finditem/8280 for an example of the Federal 'Q' which is mounted on all of the Amercian fire engines we used to play about with.

- Mike

Anyone want to add to my thoughts.

Markheliops

Well - :whistle: if someone hadn't mentioned the possible non-originality, I'm not sure many folk would have noticed - me included!!

I reckon you probably got a bargain, and given the scarceity of the things you could fairly say 'if it's a sirenlight, it will do just fine'. Enjoy it!!

But, having done so, you've now got me wondering if mine is right....I picked it up as a fully recon ex. US fire engine of wartime vintage. And that's a 50p piece holding the front up!

Sincerely,

Worried of Elmira Heights :confused:

DSC02340.JPG

Edited by N.O.S.