Ward La France Restoration Project Part III

Maybe you should let her check the big end because she might know what to do. Good luck with the replacement engine.

Hey guys please note that, Mark has allready had the underside and inside of his 432 checked over by the DVLA experts :sweat: its just a shame he forgot to get them both to check the WLF over whilst they were there. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

IMG_3160.jpg

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey - hands off you lot - find your own vehicle inspectors.

Markheliops

Aaah Mark now please be fair to the guys :coffee:

I do Have some more photos of you having a close inspection of !! what are they ?? was it the WLF's wheel nuts :cool2::rofl:

Yeah, but, in view of the eveidence, are we sure that all those 'mishaps' with the WLF are in fact acidents? Got anymore views of the 'Eveidence'?

Eveidence re the Ward La France wheelnuts that Mark was showing off mmm

Yes i have and its not just the silly grin when he drives through big pools of mudy water or trying to bullying little cyclists! that can bring it on :nono:

MOD EDIT, PHOTO REMOVED... PLEASE KEEP IT CLEAN... THIS IS A FAMILY SHOW :nono:

Edited by Marmite!!

Ok chaps - enough off topic thankie.

Right, today David (Top Dog) Sanderson and I prepared the Ward for the engine change that is now required.

First, we had to use the 432 to move the Ward from it's resting place to the workshop using a straight bar.

Once in the workshop, we began to strip the components that I would struggle with on my own. This included the bonnet and brush guard assembly which needless to say is rather heavy.

Have included the following pictures to show what we are now looking at.

Wardenginework1003.jpg

Wardenginework1001.jpg

Wardenginework1002.jpg

The Ward is now in a position where I am able to tinker with things until the gearbox has to be removed. I shall return to the workshop tomorrow - Bank Holiday Monday - to hopefully remove all ancils. This will leave me with just the gearbox to remove and then she is ready for the engine removal. Easily said. LOL.

In a sadistic kind of way, I am quite looking forward to repairing the Ward - again. You find out all sorts of things when doing such major overhauls.

Must be bonkers!

Updates to follow as and when.

Markheliops

Hi all.

Work resumed today (Bank Holiday Monday) and it's on days like this I thank my lucky stars I am undercover.

Work started with draining the engine oil. The two magnetic drain plugs didn't look to clever with a lot of metal shavings on them, bearing in mind I changed the oil two weeks ago. Sorry - dodgy pic.

Wardenginework1005.jpg

After the oil drain, I removed the radiator which was secured by two castle nuts at the bottom, the top and bottem water hoses and a bulkhead securing stay to the rad. I don't think the rad has been removed before because the nuts were a b-----d to remove. Now believe me - the rad is heavier than it looks. It comes out complete with the rad frame. You know when you take the weight of something and then think - whoops. To give you some idea of the size, here is a picture of the rad after I removed it leaning against a wheel.

Wardenginework1002-1.jpg

Next I continued to remove and disconnect the ancils such as the starter motor, oil filters, air filter, fuel lines, generator wiring, exhaust pipe, temp sender unit, oil presure unit, distributer wiring, air compressor piping, various earth straps, and other bits and bobs.

Wardenginework1003-1.jpg

Wardenginework1004.jpg

One thing struck me whilst I was beavering away - I was amazed to see how close certain machined parts were to one another - for instance - the crank pulley was no more than 3 mil away from the front chassis plate and the fan blades were about 2 mil from the accessories drive pulley. Doesn't leave much room if something goes out of shape.

Wardenginework1007.jpg

I finished the days work by removing the floor and toe boards to gain access to the transmission assembly and prop shaft which need to be removed in order to give me the room to move the engine backwards to aid removal.

Wardenginework1008.jpg

Wardenginework1009.jpg

As you can see there isn't much room to manouvre. It's a shame there isn't more room at the front of the engine as this would eliminate the need to drop the transmission.

Wardenginework1011.jpg

So more or less the engine is near to being ready for removal. Work still required is to-

1. Remove the transfer to gearbox propshaft

2. Remove gearbox linkages and rods, etc.

3. Reverse or drop the gearbox.

4. Remove throttle linkage from bell housing.

5. Remove the engine mounting bolts x 4.

And out she comes - apparently.

All in all I cracked on today and I am happy with the results. Back to work now for another 2 days and 2 nights. I am planning to collect the spare engine next Saturday and then back to the truck on Sunday for yet more tinkering - if anyone feels bored - you know where I will be.

Markheliops

Edited by markheliops

Many thanks Mike.

Will hopefully be able to move the spare engine from it's home in Maidstone and then she will be ready for tinkering. Shouldn't take long to drop the transmission - infact I am thinking we can just reverse it a little just to give us the room to move the engine back.

Markheliops

We moved the replacement engine to Mark's shed today so that it can be prepped for install. 'Somebody' wants to paint it before fitting, presumably so he can claim the 'Biggest tart's handbag in show' award at W&P this year :rolleyes:. What was that? "All show and no go" do I hear you cry?

We used the Red Indian Teepee method of engine hoisting to get it off it's pallet and into Lightweight's trusty former Sankey. We reckon this must be close to the trailer's capacity and I drove the 25 miles gingerly as it did lean a bit on corners.

WLFenginetrailer1.jpg

WLFenginetrailer2.jpg

WLFenginetrailer3.jpg

WLFenginetrailer4.jpg

And here's part of the problem:

Observe #2 big end and the crankshaft webs either side are dry and free from oil - maybe they've got a bit hot?

Enginedamage1.jpg

And this is how hot - that's white metal bearing material poking out the side of the bearing cap. There was lots more sprayed over the inside of the block.

Enginedamage4.jpg

And here's some more of the bearing at the bottom of the sump.

Enginedamage5.jpg

I don't believe this alone is enough to seize the engine but the piston may have overheated and stuck in the bore. Mark is going to look at that another time. The priority for now is to get the truck on the road again.

Hi all -

A couple of pics to add for the days work.

Mike Posing next to the stationary - but award winning Ward La France.

Wardenginework2001.jpg

Mike watching Carl drinking tea - too much of that going on.

Wardenginework2005.jpg

Big - isn't it.

Wardenginework2009.jpg

Engine bay - minus engine - Flintstones Power.

Wardenginework2011.jpg

All on my own - time to do some work then.

Wardenginework2017.jpg

All in all - a good days work.

Many thanks to Mike as usual and to Carl (I don't make tea) - (best bl--dy well learn then) who was silly enough to be roped in to the fun and frolics.

Further work will continue tomorrow - Monday.

Markheliops