Ward La France Restoration Project Part III

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all.

Work continued today - on my own as Mike was off pondering the meaning of life and Carl was on a tea making course.

Straight down to it - well after a cuppa of course.

First job was to remove the timing chain cover as two oil seals required replacing - the accessory drive shaft seal and the crankshaft seal. Had to remove the fan assembly, fan adjuster, accessory pully and a couple of other itmes. Wasn't to bad to get off and took the opportunity to ensure all was okay with the timing chain, etc. Yes - it is a chain and it looks okay. so that was that.

Wardenginework2019.jpg

After fitting the seals, making new gaskets and putting it back together again, I rolled the engine over to my seized engine to remove the ancillaries.

Wardenginework2020.jpg

By the way - I am rather proud of my engine stand as I made it and as yet - it hasn't broken. Excellent to be able to wheel the engine around.

The ancils to be removed where the compressor, the water pump, distributor, plugs and ignition items, various pipes and leads. Also had to make various gaskets for the above.

Wardenginework2021.jpg

After the ancils had been fitted, I hook up the engine and wheeled it outside for a jet wash. Thank heavens for mechanical handling equipment.

Wardenginework2022.jpg

After washing the engine, I tinkered a bit more until I ran out of milk - so decided to call it a day - as I couldn't make anymore tea.

Wardenginework2024.jpg

The engine is almost ready to go back in except for the clutch, carburetter, and distibutor which is fitted but not yet timed to the engine. I can't decide whether to paint the engine. I quite like the old look and besides, if a paint the thing - I won't be able to see any leaks when they occur.

Updates as and when.

Markheliops

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

I think when we were thinking of buying the mtb,it used tons per hour not gallons,mind you it was 7000 hp,how many galls diesel in a ton 250ish dunno?

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Water is 1,000 litres per tonne, or 445 gallons - so fuel will be about 425 gallons per tonne - :shake: Glad you didn't buy the boat?

I suppose so,but jusy imagine 7000hp 48knts down the middle of the solent.

Hi all.

After the ancils had been fitted, I hook up the engine and wheeled it outside for a jet wash. Thank heavens for mechanical handling equipment.

After washing the engine, I tinkered a bit more until I ran out of milk - so decided to call it a day - as I couldn't make anymore tea.

Wardenginework2024.jpg

Mark,

I think it fair to point out, before you have overheating problems............the fan is fitted the wrong way round. :)

Worrying thing is, that looking at the pic of the "new" engine in the trailer, it was wrongly fitted then.......hope this is not a bad omen, on the other hand someone could have changed the engine because it was overheating, and all that was wrong was the fan.

Richard

Hi all.

Work continued today - on my own as Mike was off pondering the meaning of life and Carl was on a tea making course.

Wardenginework2024.jpg

The engine is almost ready to go back in except for the clutch, carburetter, and distibutor which is fitted but not yet timed to the engine. I can't decide whether to paint the engine. I quite like the old look and besides, if a paint the thing - I won't be able to see any leaks when they occur.

Updates as and when.

Markheliops

Hi Mark

Is there a sound technical reason for the fan being mounted back to front; surely it draws air through the rad not blows air forwards:confused:

Mike

This is how it should look:

Wardenginework2009.jpg

Edited by radiomike7

The fan being back-to-front shouldn't be considered a bad omen: I rebuilt that engine for my truck in 2004 after it consumed a piston in Normandy that year. It has new bearings throughout, new pistons & rings & new gaskets. I removed the engine over winter 2005 after only about 800 miles to diesel-ise mine but there was nothing wrong with the petrol, it was just gutless! I chose the better of the 2 fans to paint green for the diesel engine but in the end didn't use it so it's possible the yellow was the poorer one and I just chucked it back on any old how to keep the parts together. Alternatively it may have been running like that, in which case the fan can't be doing very much as the engine ran at the same temp. as Mark's did before the Big Bang.

- Mike

The fan being back-to-front shouldn't be considered a bad omen:

it's possible the yellow was the poorer one and I just chucked it back on any old how to keep the parts together.

Hi Mike,

I guessed that it was probably taken off before removing the engine to save damage and just put back on wrong way around.

At least Mark should not have any problems now.