War and Peace 2023?

John Pearson

I'd third that, had to miss last year but went in 2021 - when it had been pushed back to September - for the first time.

An excellent show with a really great feel to it - like the W&P of old. We arrived just before 9am and I hear that the queues to get in after this were quite lengthy - but that shouldn't put you off from attending and for me a day at a show should be just that. 

I'd also add YWE to your list of must attend shows. A great event for the north of the UK which attracts people from all over it. 

On 2/7/2023 at 5:59 PM, 64EK26 said:

Hi

W&P has had it's day, It was great fun (even when it was muddy)

DSC_0004.thumb.JPG.77beab3da1f63bf59ce6eba057a14f94.JPGDSC_0006.thumb.JPG.7c1cee152a5bdcaf35769db18508b358.JPGDSC_0021.thumb.JPG.8e68507015b8fa7b74cc91872d838fa6.JPG

.....  but time to move on. There are plenty of other shows on 

As for advertising a 2023 event.... there is no mention of it on the Hop Farm events page see https://thehopfarm.co.uk/events

See you at Solent Overlord, Southwick D Day, Capel, Military Odyssey and some other smaller local shows 

Cheers

Richard

I see a suspicious looking white van on the right........

Edited by Enigma
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Jack said:

I think it is safe to say that it is game over. Will be interesting when people start to ask for the money that is owed to them....

A lot already Have Jack. 'The guilty' have been taken to the small claims courts. & the Claimant's claims upheld. I would advise anyone who really wants thier financial outlays to be returned. To do the same.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Last night, a post on the Facebook page 'Post war military vehicle group appeared' from someone who W&P would seem to owe money to. He posted that ticket sales would commence in mid March.

I asked him where this information came from and he replied  "I phoned W@P last week, they informed me that ticketing will be open from mid March, I then looked at the Hop Farm events page to discover that there is no mention of W@P, indeed, there are Hop Farm events advertised for the supposed dates". 

The W&P web page hasn't changed and all the social media links on it are dead.

There has been no advertising that I can see  and according to the post above, they are already being taken to SCC (and losing).. At this stage, what's the point?

Edited by snowdrop358
Spelling / not wearing my glasses

I think it is time to move on and assume it is dead. No one will go anyway, and in fairness, Brexit would have done damage to the show. Outrageous management (lack off) and Brexit nailed this once mighty show. I hope everyone gets their refunds.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The War and Peace Show had become history itself, all we see now and probably will see in the near future, are cries beyond the grave.
Given the fact that no action is undertaken or news is shared so short before the event we can only conclude that it is gone, all that remain are the lovely memories of this once marvelous show.

Just my 1p opinion, 

Rgds.

Sjoerd

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, John Pearson said:

So, the final admission that there was never a real intention to put the show on, it was just a way of taking and then keeping other people's money. 

Taking and keeping other people's money is STEALING ! Stealing is to permanently deprive...

Haven't been for many years, personally thought it was better at Folkestone Racecourse, just my opinion, as for Brexit , that's not the downfall of the W&P,  its just greed and bad management.

The last time I went it was back at hop farm, but they had ditched the reduced entry for serving personal and no reduction for Veterans..... that says it all about the people running it. 

That was my final visit as far as I was concerned. 

Hope to get to the YWE this year. 

• Like 1

It's really sad how this went the last few years, I've attended many editions and I always loved coming there in the old days. I will miss it.

On the other hand, maybe this will give someone else the opportunity to build a show to match those golden days?

• Like 1

An interesting question raised above about whether, when the 2023 dates were advertised there was any intention from the directors to of War and Peace Revival Ltd run a 2023 show.  Someone who is owed money may wish to pursue this question.

The show was dying anyway. My last visit was 2019 (my first was at Tenterden) and it was clear the number of stalls was falling and the number of vehicle and other entries was also down. My wife heard stallholders actively discussing whether there was a better venue and some of the key traders in my area of interest were already absent.

There has already been remarks here about the absence of interest in their stall at Stoneleigh in 2022 and the removal of the concessions for veterans and serving personnel showed a remarkable ignorance of the mores of this hobby.

There is also a further question. With the rise of the internet, forums such as this, facebook groups, the real rises in the cost of fuel and the increasingly hostile road environment for old slow vehicles. do we need a large national rally with all the risks attached for the organisers? A range of good regional and local events would seem to be the way to go. A view no doubt controversial but I will be interested in others' views.

• Like 1

I agree that smaller(or large) regional shows are the way forward but what W@P had that none of these have are the vehicles and owners from Europe and the stall holders from Europe( there are a few Europeans coming over to other shows but not in the same numbers), maybe in the future some of the shows closer to the ports/tunnel might have some/more  of these vehicles etc attend.

Edited by sim60

26 minutes ago, DaveR100 said:

There is also a further question. With the rise of the internet, forums such as this, facebook groups, the real rises in the cost of fuel and the increasingly hostile road environment for old slow vehicles. do we need a large national rally with all the risks attached for the organisers? A range of good regional and local events would seem to be the way to go. A view no doubt controversial but I will be interested in others' views.

I tend to agree with this. I like to be able to drive to a show, so hundreds of miles is out of the question. I also like it when friends and family etc can also come along cause its close enough to home to make a day of it. We are part of a local re-enactment group and there are plenty of smaller events throughout the year for us to attend either with the vehicle or without.

I do understand the pleasure in seeing a big show, we always attend GDSF and seeing so many vehicles and people in one place is lovely. I can see an argument for both sides.

• Like 1