WW1 Dennis truck find

Great War truck

That's good news, I never did fancy cranking over something by hand, even at low compression.

There can't be that much still to do on the Dennis, surely? I remember the radiator tanks were still a little suspect.

Gordon

[quote name=

There can't be that much still to do on the Dennis' date=' surely? I remember the radiator tanks were still a little suspect.

Gordon

When we filled the Radiator yesterday, several of the small leaks re-appeared - the filler that we put on them last year has "given up" - and really not surprised at that! So the plan is to clean them up and then put a similar seal on them again for this year - and pattern make this winter so that the new tanks will be ready for next year. At least that's the plan! So much going on at the moment with the Thorny engine!

Tony

Yes, new tanks are probably the answer.

I did wonder about the aluminium 'welding' process someone here pointed me at to joint up the sheet metal on the Snow Tractor roof.

http://durafix.co.uk/

This is some sort of low temperature alloy which will fuse with the aluminium and might be just the ticket. I vaguely remember that the tanks were severely pitted, but in relatively small areas?

Of course the difficulty there might be getting your original repair epoxy out cleanly.

Edited by Gordon_M

There can't be that much still to do on the Dennis, surely?

Gordon

Not much to do but always something. Completely finishing a project is always hard! At the moment I am playing with the mountings for the side curtain as it will be much safer fixed to the lorry than rolled up in my bedroom! I want to make up a heel block for the throttle pedal to try to make it a bit more comfortable to operate. There should also be some steps on the side of the body to allow you to climb in over the back wheels. They are a blacksmithing job and were postponed when my anvil was taken. I now have a replacement anvil but have been too busy keeping the rest of the toys operational to get stuck in. Earning a living is getting in the way too!

Steve :)

When we filled the Radiator yesterday, several of the small leaks re-appeared - the filler that we put on them last year has "given up" - and really not surprised at that! So the plan is to clean them up and then put a similar seal on them again for this year - and pattern make this winter so that the new tanks will be ready for next year. At least that's the plan! So much going on at the moment with the Thorny engine!

Tony

I realise that I' left out an essential word in my message making it incomprehensible!

I've been thinking about how you could use the existing headers as patterns, extending the length and width of the flanges, that are used to bolt it to the radiator core. I've not seen it up close, but I would have thought that these are only critical dimensions, the shrinkage over the tanks them selves not being critical. Body filler could be used to make things smooth on the inside to make a core mould and to extend the flanges.

Regards, Matthew

Edited by mattinker
'd left out the essential "as patterns"!

Dear Tony, Steve and Tim.

First a confession, whilst I am an enthusiast, I'm not into military vehicles specifically. I own a number of old cars but have never owned a truck.

On a cold, wet and throughly miserable Monday (yesterday) in Sydney at 6.30am I was on the AACA Forum, where (I think) there was a link or reference to your Dennis restoration. So I opened it up. I wouldn't say I was engrossed or anything but lets just say that I couldn't stop reading it and in fact didn't until I finished it at 4.30pm. I got frustrated that I couldnt open some of the links, so I registered. Then I read your Thornycroft restoration blog.

I have restored a few cars, however, I am astonished at the determination and dedication you guys have shown in even attempting this. Not only that, the quality of the thread itself - its not a thread it's a story and a rivetting one at that - is wonderful. So is the humilty. As somebody said in a post, you could walk past it and no one would know what an effort this has been.

All I can say is thank you, it was not only interesting, it was also uplifting. I will continue to follow your continued exploits with anticipation.

John

Hi John,

Well, thank you for those kind comments! We have always said that it has only been done for fun - but after putting the continuing "tale" on HMVF - and then finding others getting so much pleasure and interest out if has been a bonus for us. We have always been concerned that we might bore others - but so far, so good!

Thank you, again!

Tony

• 2 months later...

We have been getting ready for our local show today. Unfortunately we had a Month of rain in 24 hours making everything a little less fun and a great deal more wet.

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

We put up the painted hood bows and fitted the end of the lorry which we had not done before:

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

Just around the corner the engine started popping and banging and was generally gutless. We found a useful field gate to take refuge in:

IMG_0844.jpg

This was the first time we had been out with the new magneto. it started well but the timing was not right so had a quick rethink. A journey home too get the old magneto and we switched them over being careful not to upset the timing.

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

It took about 30 minutes to do and then started really easily. What a great sound. Then reversed out back into the road and we were off again:

IMG_0856.jpg

This time running much better. Click on the photo below:

th_MVI_0857.jpg

Mark had already arrived in the field to get a taste of what conditions were like:

IMG_0840.jpg

The question is how do you get a three ton lorry on solids through a very muddy field. Well, it is all about driving style. Click on the image below to show Steve's positive driving style.

th_MVI_0859.jpg

And this is where we came to a stop. Or more "where the mud gained an upper hand".

IMG_0861.jpg

If anybody is having difficulty seeing the movies on photo bucket let me know and i will try something else.

Thanks

Tim

Do you have any more video coverage of the rest your of the Fleet in the muddy conditions? How did the Autocars cope?

I take the next addition to the vehicle stores will be a set of chains for the rear wheels!

Doug

The mud was a real trial for us. The tipper came through the gate and stopped. The Dennis managed a few more yards after the film clip and then stuck outside the beer tent. Both were assisted in with the Land Rover. The FWD did quite a bit better with my approach of blasting in through the gate in second with my foot clamped to the floor. Tim says that it was very exciting but unfortunately, he didn't have his camera in his hand. I managed to get as far as the military vehicle section before I found a really soft patch and stuck. The military Autocar did best of all and went all the way on its own.

All four had to be dragged out and we have spent the rest of the week getting the mud off. It was during this process that I managed to push the Autocar into the back of the Dennis, mashing a side light. Nothing we can't repair but another job I really didn't want to have to do. Probably the first ime that two Great War vehicles have collided in sixty years!

Steve

DSCN2781c.jpg

DSCN2782c.jpg