WW1 Dennis truck find

Great War truck

I will bow to her experience if it was one of the Sarah the Chemists, rather than Sarah the Mathematician. :-)

http://www.dkirubber.com/materials.asp says that "fluorocarbon" is resistant to swelling in gasoline, but doesn't make the same claim for PTFE, (which I thought was a fluorocarbon)

PTFE is a fluoropolymer whereas Viton (DuPont's tradename but there are other equivalents from other manufacturers) is a fluoroelastomer, but they are both fluorocarbons. I'd be surprised if the PTFE is swelling in fuel but if it is under compression in the tap what you could be seeing over time is creep instead, with some degree of extrusion into gaps, as PTFE is relatively soft....? Modern fuel compatability is a bit of a minefield as the materials that are good for petrol dont like ethanol and vice versa, so the new bio fuel mixes have caused a lot of new issues - nothing that cant be overcome but it does need careful material selection at times. Happy to try and help if you can give me the specifics.

I was surprised that it swelled as well but as Sarah the Chemist (as Andy says) spent six years in a Fluorine lab, I bow to her superior knowledge! I can say, however, that whilst smooth as silk when new and for a couple of years dry, once petrol had been introduced to the tank, the tap tightened up to the point where I am concerned that I might break it out of the tank. Hence my current thinking with cork.

I am also surprised at the table that does not recommend cork for contact with ethanol. Guess where I got the cork in the first place! Anyway, I have had another go. The first cork I drilled (high speed and low feed rate) came out 1/16" bigger than the drill which was quite a disappointment so I had another go with a smaller drill. That was OK so, as before, I ground it to size using the Dremel in the toolpost. this appeared to be OK so I trimmed it to length, oiled it all and put it back together ready for a trial.

DSCN4090c.jpg

DSCN4091c.jpg

DSCN4092c.jpg

Brighton is looming so we will have to get the lorry out and try it again very shortly. That will be my opportunity to change the tap but It might be a good idea if I invest in a nice new bucket to catch the fuel!

Steve

but It might be a good idea if I invest in a nice new bucket to catch the fuel!

Steve

A bucket that is impervious to both petrol and ethanol, I hope ;)

I always found drilling holes in cork to be interesting - the final hole would always be bigger OR smaller than the drill diameter...

trevor

I was surprised that it swelled as well but as Sarah the Chemist (as Andy says) spent six years in a Fluorine lab, I bow to her superior knowledge!

It is too late now, but it just occurred to me that any Sarah the Chemist ought to be able to borrow a cork borer. Or, in fact, supply pre-bored corks by post.

Curiously they only seem to exist on eBay Germany:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/American-Educational-6-Piece-Nickel-Cork-Borer-Set-/121293988776?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c3daf63a8

It is too late now, but it just occurred to me that any Sarah the Chemist ought to be able to borrow a cork borer. Or, in fact, supply pre-bored corks by post.

Curiously they only seem to exist on eBay Germany:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/American-Educational-6-Piece-Nickel-Cork-Borer-Set-/121293988776?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c3daf63a8

They appear to be from China, judging by the quoted shipping time, not to mention the oriental characters that seem to have been left in the listing, and this disclaimer really does not inspire confidence:

NOTE: In the event of any misunderstanding as to the description or this package contents, the package contents shall prevail.

:wow:

In other words "if we send you something completely different to what you purchased (including a box full of sawdust and swarf), that's what you get, no comebacks".

Thanks, but no thanks.

Confirmation received this morning that the Dennis has been accepted for the HCVS London to Brighton Run on Sunday 4th May. All very pleasing and we will look forward to joining up with other WW1 vehicles on the day!

The Dennis has been away all winter in storage away from "base" and we look forward to bringing it home this coming Saturday.

Tony

We all got together in Devon this weekend to recover the Dennis from long term storage where it has been for the last six Months. It had to go to make room for the Thornycroft restoration to commence.

IMG_4019_zpsffa148b5.jpg

IMG_4022_zps35f3c9c2.jpg

We filled her up with water and she started on the third pull:

IMG_4026_zpsf2c0603d.jpg

IMG_4028_zpsb8ea8f1b.jpg

We had not seen it since September so we were pleased to find that it was still there, although the shed had been rebuilt around it and had a new door put on. We were a bit concerned that it might not fit but we had plenty of room.

IMG_4030_zps45939beb.jpg

After a bit of shunting the next step was to get it out of the yard and on to the road.

IMG_4033_zps35bdc690.jpg

IMG_4035_zps450d7979.jpg

It was a very foggy day and we had to go a mile down a busy A road and then a couple of miles down a B road. We surprised a few people on the A road. I am pleased to say that my reflective jacket and aggressive arm waving slowed the traffic down for Steve and Tony to get away and I then followed behind in the Land Rover.

IMG_4036_zps77704f1b.jpg

IMG_4037_zpsb8a0f77f.jpg

Steve then serviced the Dennis ready for its relocation to its next new home:

IMG_4041_zpsf94ee8b5.jpg

Confirmation received this morning that the Dennis has been accepted for the HCVS London to Brighton Run on Sunday 4th May. All very pleasing and we will look forward to joining up with other WW1 vehicles on the day!

Tony

The Brighton programme lists 17 vehicles in the 'Special Class Vehicles from WW1 Era up to 1920'. Looks like an excellent display. Look forward to seeing you on the Front at Brighton.

With the London to Brighton Run getting ever closer, we have started preparatory work for it on the Dennis. The lorry mainly wants a good clean – especially the aluminium which has oxidised over the winter months whilst the lorry has been away in store on a farm..

Another thing which has been irritating us - as everything was done in haste three years ago for the then coming Brighton Run – was the ropes. We used Sisal rope which was quite wrong where it should have been Hemp rope which was the stuff used during that early period – so we needed to replace it with the proper stuff.

Our friend Mark D. – a former submariner has advised us about this and called to take a hand in replacing the ropes where he has now properly spliced the ends for us.

The rope can be a little “hairy” and Mark used a small propane torch to burn off the hairy bits. The final result – very pleasing!

DSCN0229_zps9c70c5f9.jpg

DSCN0232_zps82e53550.jpg

DSCN0236_zps00b591f9.jpg

DSCN0241_zps8567c1f4.jpg

Our friend Mark D. – a former submariner has advised us about this and called to take a hand in replacing the ropes where he has now properly spliced the ends for us.

The rope can be a little “hairy” and Mark used a small propane torch to burn off the hairy bits. The final result – very pleasing!

DSCN0236_zps00b591f9.jpg

And is that a roll-up he's smoking? Obviously a true craftsman! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got in and we have been on the go since 4:45 this morning.

It has been a very good day and the Dennis arrived at Brighton at about 12:40. We stopped to remedy fuel starvation issues. Luckily it did not take long to figure out what was wrong. The petrol tap had partially closed due to vibration.

All of the WW1 WD vehicles which started completed. Sadly the Maudslay and one of the AEC's had to withdraw before the start which was a great shame.

I will post some photos tomorrow.

Tim

Sorry for the slow update. It has taken me a while to recover from the weekend’s excitement.

We loaded up the Dennis to be sent up to London on Saturday lunchtime. We then travelled up to London, spent the night in a hotel and met up with the Dennis at about 6:00 on the Sunday. There were eight WW1 trucks booked into the event but unfortunately two were withdrawn at the last moment – the Maudslay and an AEC Y Type.

IMG_4117_zpsd24c53ee.jpg

Raf Leyland

IMG_4127_zps42b4596e.jpg

A second Hallford from 1913 with a bus body:

IMG_4126_zpsdf5dece7.jpg

The Grundons Pierce Arrow:

IMG_4129_zpse6caa76c.jpg

As we unloaded and joined the Pierce Arrow which had made it ahead of us we were joined by the Crossley, a Hallford and another AEC Y Type. We left in convoy with the AEC in front followed by the Hallford, then us in the Dennis and then the Pierce Arrow. The Crossley left a little later then overtook us all. After we had been driving about 30 minutes we went past the Daimler Y Type coming the other direction. The view of four WW1 three tonners driving along through London was something not seen for a long time. A shame that being part of it made it difficult to photograph.

IMG_4144_zps9c56f3cc.jpg

IMG_4140_zpsd1d2890d.jpg

On the way the Dennis was not working as it should. We stopped it and topped up with water:

IMG_4151_zpsf90a7656.jpg

The problem was later identified as fuel starvation which was easy to resolve:

As we drove down into Brighton we went passed a wrecked car in the road. Someone had pulled out in front of the Hallford bus cutting it up and was then rather surprised to find their car written off as the Hallford could not stop. Damage to Hallford was minimal luckily.

We arrived in Brighton shortly before two having finally caught up with the Crossley and the Pierce Arrow and were then joined by the Hallford and the AEC which had stopped for some minor adjustments on the way. The Daimler was the last to join us.

IMG_4160_zpsd433743b.jpg

IMG_4157_zps8eaf885e.jpg

IMG_4176_zps28e745c3.jpg

It was great to see so many WW1 vehicles together. Six to beat for next time.

Glad to hear all went well and thankyou for the great pictures, I couldn't make it down but my brother and some friends were supporting/stalking the McCurd and said it was fantastic to see the line up on the sea front, look forward to seeing the vehicles later in the year.

• 4 weeks later...

We are planning to take the Dennis, in convoy with a Hallford and an AEC, to the IWM Military Vehicle Show at Duxford next Sunday, 15th June. To get ready, I have today been over to give it a quick check and oiling up ready for the trip.

It started very nicely and ran well on the three mile trip to the petrol station. There, I three quarters filled it with £125- worth of fuel. Ouch! On return, I oiled all round and screwed down the grease caps. When I did the one on the foot brake clevis pin, the pin came out in my hand! Closer inspection revealed that there was no split pin to secure it. Whether it had fallen out or I had simply never fitted one, I don't know but it certainly has one now! It is the top pin in the photo.

DSCN4270c.jpg

DSCN4273c.jpg

If any of you are at Duxford next week, do come and say hello. It is great to be able to put a face to a name.

Steve

Edited by Old Bill
Wrong day quoted!

There could have been a split-pin , but it has sheared , does not look correct to me without a flat-washer fitted next to the pin. Common practice on rolling-stock etc. huh , well in my days it was. Does a thin flat washer not provide additional buffering protection against pin shear ?? Possibly it just looks better to a engineers eyes , and serves no practical purpose ?