WW1 Dennis truck find

Great War truck

Thanks everyone. It has been an amazing day. Hearing that engine running so smoothly brought a tear to my eye (did i tell you i only had one eye?). We have a few Months to get it ready for London to Brighton. Actually we still have a lot to do before then. Steve - what do we have left to do?

Tim

Great job guys.

This must have been an amazing journey for you. Your workmanship on this vehicle is outstanding and top quality.

Now get yourselves a beer and have a break for five minutes. now only the little jobs to

finish.

Good luck with the London to brighton run. Hopfully we will see some video & Pics.

Clive

Thanks for all of that Chaps. Yesterday was quite an exciting day!

I am fortunate to have a day off today but poor Tim has had to go back to work. We do have some more film and I expect Tim will post some later.

The first time we tried to start it, we had two spectacular 'front-fires' through the carburettor leaving us all with our ears ringing. These were due to fitter incompetence on my part as I had connected it as 1-2-3-4 instead of 1-3-4-2. Once that had been rectified, it started on the sixth pull, as you saw, (The film really is the first start!) and ran for about ten minutes. The oil pressure gauge climbed to 40psi and then settled back to 20 as it warmed up. The engine is remarkably quiet with almost no exhaust noise at all. The gearbox hummed gently and the whole effect was super. The engine responded well to snap throttle opening and also idled so slowly that we could count the revolutions so all in all, we are very pleased. Some of the hose joints began to weep as it warmed up but the clips were tightened and that sorted them. Number one inlet valve plug also had a weep so I will go and tighten that in a moment. There is a slight oil leak from the magneto drive shaft which we can live with but nothing else serious.

Next job is to fit some controls to it and then we are on to building the bodywork. It is a simple body but there are still a few hours in it so next year's Brighton run will still be a challenge. We will keep you posted!

Steve :-D:-D:-D

I must add my congratulations! A superb restoration and the quality of the work is evident in the way it runs.

That is an incredibly low idle speed, any idea what the rpm actually are?

Looking forward to seeing the first drive which surely can't be to far away.

I think there is a bit too much work in a chara. We have been on the job for eight years already and I don't want to add a couple more! It is interesting to note that the army did have some fairly austere charabancs for troop transport but I have only seen them on AEC or Locomobile chassis. Fortunately for us, Dennis lorries all seem to have the general service body.

I think that the first drive out of the shed is going to be in the new year. Although the body and seat box are fairly straightforward, there is quite a lot of ironwork involved and therefore a lot of man-hours. Unfortunately, Tim and I still have to earn a living and cannot devote as many hours as we would like. Never mind. Something to look forward to!

Steve

I've not seen WD pattern charas on Dennis chassis, although Dennis charas were commandered and converted for use as lorries! (In many cases this would have been straightforward as chara bodies were often designed to be removed easily so as to allow the owner to use his vehicle as a goods vehicle during the week and as a chara for day trippers at weekends.)

They did appear on Peerless chassis though! :cool2:

IMG.jpg

Edited by Runflat