Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


BenHawkins last won the day on January 1 2019

BenHawkins had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

14 Good

About BenHawkins

  • Rank

Personal Information

  • Location
  • Occupation

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I would like to thank everyone for their support of this project. I know it does not completely fit the military theme of the forum but hope that it has been of interest and useful to other people attempting similar restorations. To answer the question about etching, the toner protects those areas from the ferric chloride. I obviously didn't get it perfectly adhered as there was some shallow etching behind the toner (simulated patina?) Following the etching I cut the identity plate out and painted it black. Fine silicon carbide paper stuck to the back of my steel rule was used to pol
  2. I have been working through the "finishing touches". Originally there was a small brass plate fastened above the bonnet carrying the vehicle details. These survive on other preserved Dennis vehicles and I had taken measurements and rubbings in the past. Using Computer Aided Design I was able to generate the artwork and print it onto some "press-n-peel" film. This is basically a plastic film with an emulsion on one side. It has to be printed on a laser printer; apparently some brands of toner work better than others. The artwork has to be a mirror image of what you want to retain when etch
  3. Thanks Doc, CP&Co bought several batches from Dennis and I think I now have photos of every batch but the one mine was in (end of 1908). They did not have Dennis bodies fitted so there were no factory photos taken, originally I thought the motor vans were used in central London, but the picture of the Addlestone district probably suggests that they were used where properties were further apart.
  4. I decided to stitch a leather belt for the speedometer drive. This started with a hole pattern and scribing lines as described in a lathe manual. Then stitching in-situ with waxed twine. And finally putting it in place. To make the speedo cable I turned up some brass ends and soldered them on to some 1/2" brass flexible conduit I purchased at an autojumble. Steel ends were turned up for the inner and crimped on by placing them in a vee block and punching it down with a centre punch. That is another thing to test when lockdown ends. I have a sp
  5. I found this picture of the odometer used on the early Thornycroft BT. It appears to have a plate that swings over the number to protect them.
  6. We have been digging trenches and mixing concrete this week so I have been looking through old magazines when I need a rest. This is a 1906 notice from Carter Paterson advertising their investment in speedy motors. And some Dennis vans in Addlestone, these ones were built in 1911. They still have the horizontal tube radiator but mounted on trunnions rather than shackles.
  7. Dennis must still be busy as they cannot supply me a replacement gearbox. Their standard answer is they sold the last one yesterday!
  8. Thanks Andy, I will dig out the original factory drawing and annotate it for the new diameter, or is a new fangled step file better?
  9. I have finished machining the speedo drive parts and fitted them to the lorry. The next jobs are making the flat drive belt and flexible drive shaft. The tensioning spring is a bit too long and weak but it should be easy to sort a replacement.
  10. Yes, 24 years old and 210k miles. Might consider it run in before too long.
  11. ProFormance Metals have been very helpful and supplied the 8swg tube very quickly at a reasonable price. I have made new bolts and castellated nuts to complete the set for the ball joints. The ball on the drop arm is a good fit in one of the sockets. The other socket is a rattling fit on both balls (slightly worse on the one in the photo which is a little worn). I will check what other balls I have in stock but expect to end up making an oversize ball.
  12. I have been a bit distracted this week, the weather has been good so I did some trench digging for the smithy and repointed approximately 20m2 of brickwork (long overdue). One of the modern cars needed some work for the annual MOT test (perhaps modern is the wrong term as our everyday cars average over 20 years old), but I did manage to machine the coupling for the speedo drive. The speedo cables were threaded 3/4x26tpi and the drive I am copying had the bracket threaded 1-1/6x26tpi.
  13. I don't remember seeing anything on early J types/L4 engines during my visits to the archives but I will go through what I have and see if there is anything relevant (I tend to photograph everything I can, if permitted). Visiting archives in the UK has been nearly impossible for a year due to the Covid situation; hopefully access will improve later in 2021. I have more Thornycroft stuff to go through so I might turn something up. For one of my other projects I put in a request to the Toyota museum in Japan earlier this week; they responded within 24 hours having taken 20 photos of a vehic
  14. Sorry, yes 8swg does appear to be available. Not through my usual suppliers so I will have to shop around.
  15. For the drag link I had expected the braze to be holding the tube in place fairly well. However as I machined off the tube it became obvious that there was quite a bit of clearance between the original 1-1/4x10swg tube and the forgings. As I turned down the diameter of the tube it started to tear so I peeled it off. The braze was only at the very end. I believe the first end was as it left the factory, the second end had been repositioned as part of the trailer conversion. For this end I used an angle grinder to thin the tube on both sides and then peeled it back. The bra
  • Create New...