WW1 Dennis truck find

Great War truck

Why was the radiator leaking at the startup video?

The Radiator top and bottim tanks are both in a very worn and corroded condition - we did a lot of work on them fairly early on in the restoration - all the internal corrosion was cleared out - they were plated on the inside and sealed with Devcon between the new plates and the original aluminium of the radiator. We thought that they were then sound but a couple of the small holes have opened up again. They have been sealed again today from the outside but it does rather look as if we will ultimately have to make new tanks - pattern making yet again and two more castings! A great shame as we do like to keep original parts.

Tony

Well the pressure is on and there is still plenty to do. I am in Devon again this week (not getting any more holiday this year!) and have finally finished the magneto and throttle linkage. What a lash up it is with fourteen ball joints, two lay shafts and three rocking levers. I can certainly see why all of the original bits we have show signs of modification. Anyway, it all works now so that is another item ticked off. I have cut the floor to fit as well.

We fitted Mark's leather straps to hold the hood forward and they are perfect. The canvas has stratched out over night and really looks the part now. Martin did a great job with that getting it spot on first time. He really cares about making it right as we had a telephone conversation yesterday about the direction that the seams should follow in the main sheet. A man after my own heart!

Father spent some time drilling out some of the leaks in the rad and then tapping them and fitting screws, well pasted with sealant. Sadly, I think these tanks are destined for a short life which is a great pity after all of Fathers efforts. Oh well. We have learned that lesson.

Hood bows today ready for the canvas sheet which is due tomorrow. This is a good exercise in just-in-time project management!

Cheers!

Steve

DSCN4388c.JPG

DSCN4394c.JPG

Ric, I notice the canvas roof for your truck is brown in colour and English trucks tend to have a green canvas covers.

Was there a standard WD spec regards canvas colour? I imagine the brown being more suited to drier climate campaigns ie Mesopotamia.

Doug

Steve and Tony are busy with the final jobs which must be done before the Dennis is taken to Crystal Palace for the Start of the "Brighton". The main thing now outstanding is the "bows" to hold the canvas over the main body. They consist of the two (front and back) which are of 50mm by 5mm steel angle and the centre "bow" which is just a flat section of 6mm by 50mm.

You may recall that to get the bend in the steel angle, we decided to cut out a section of the angle where it does bend around and weld in a quadrant of 5mm steel which was laser cut for us.

The photos show the angle with the section cut out and being bent to the correct radius, just by pulling it around and constantly checked with a wooden pattern.

The angle and quadrant were then clamped to a stout plywood board and the quadrant welded in. All four came out quite successfully - although Steve would be the first to admit that he is not the best welder in the world!

DSCN4395.jpg

DSCN4399.jpg

DSCN4400.jpg

DSCN4403.jpg

DSCN4405.jpg

DSCN4411.jpg

The centre "bow" was bent in a similar manner - again in two parts and bolted together in the centre.

This has been attached to the body and we plan to finish off and fix the other two "bows" tomorrow. There are four longitudinal wooden ridge bars which are already made and painted and ready to be fitted.

The endless painting still continues! As does the "brinkmanship"!

DSCN4420.jpg

DSCN4423.jpg

Ric, I notice the canvas roof for your truck is brown in colour and English trucks tend to have a green canvas covers.

Was there a standard WD spec regards canvas colour? I imagine the brown being more suited to drier climate campaigns ie Mesopotamia.

Doug

Doug,

Whilst I don't want to hijack such a terrific thread. A tan canvas was what was recomended by the Australian War Memorial in the early 1980's. This canopy is a new one and hasn't faded as yet. The first one was torn in five places after going under a lowbridge with incorrect height signage on it. This one is the replacement paid for by the Indigo Shire who acknowledged their mistake in the bridge height signage.

Tim and crew, I wish I was there this year to see the Dennis in action. I hope that it all goes well for the London to Brighton.

Regards Rick.

Tim and crew, Well Done!!:clap::clap:

I remember well the first start-up and drive of my Albion 33 years ago. I still get a great thrill every time I drive her. We had her out in March for the Corowa Swim-In.

Regards Rick.

Rick, could you please post a larger version of that image, or tell us where we could download one?

Gordon

Father spent some time drilling out some of the leaks in the rad and then tapping them and fitting screws, well pasted with sealant. Sadly, I think these tanks are destined for a short life which is a great pity after all of Fathers efforts. Oh well. We have learned that lesson.

I've been following this thread for some time now, really enjoying the work that you've put in. I can't help thinking that after all the effort you've put into the radiator, you must be reaching the end of the porosity! The tapping sealant solution seems very good to me, but what are you using for screws? Maybe you're already there, but I was thinking are you using Aluminium plugs? Small diameter Al, threaded a short way, screwed into the end of the thread, cut of proud and peaned gently would give an invisible mend once filed down.

Hoping to meet you in Brighton, Regards, Matthew

Edited by mattinker
forgot to sign!

Tim and crew, I wish I was there this year to see the Dennis in action. I hope that it all goes well for the London to Brighton.

Thanks Rick. You are so kind as is everyone on this forum. I am beginning to feel just a bit like Prince William must be feeling!

The radiator repair is very temporary and the screws are 2BA steel. The shell is just paper thin along the joint line and is not worth messing around with further. You can see how much effort Father put into it but to no avail and a new tank is the only answer. That will test my pattern making skills again!

More later.

Steve :nut:

Congratulations on a superb restoration, I have read the whole thread twice recently, and am thrilled for you, that all your hard work is coming to fruition, enjoy the run, and thank you for having the foresight and determination to see this job through, so others can enjoy this piece of history.

best wishes lofty

Edited by k2lofty

Congratulations on a superb restoration, I have read the whole thread twice recently, .....

I remember doing the same with the photo album of your K2 restoration at Beltring a few years back - that was plenty enough inspiration for me!! :thumbsup:

A busy day now behind us - the main objective today was to complete erecting the bows on the body to take the main canvas and then actually fit the canvas - all well planned out and a straight forward operation. Drilling the holes in the bows first of all to take the various bolts was made easier with two pairs of hands available to help hold the awkward shapes under the drill.

The bows fitted neatly on to their previously installed mountings and the ridge bars were then cut to exact length, drilled and bolted to the bows.

Martin and Jim at Allied Forces only finished the canvas yesterday, but it arrived courtesy of UPS Thursday morning as they had promised.. We must say again as very satisfied customers how helpful Martin and Jim have been to us and how they have really taken a great interest in what we have been doing and have bent over backwards to accommodate us.

The two cushions for the seat were also fixed in.

DSCN4429.jpg

DSCN4436.jpg

DSCN4438.jpg

DSCN4440.jpg

The canvas on the British lorries was quite different from the U.S. versions - as fitted to our FWD. The British version on the Dennis is just one rectangular sheet with eyes along the edges so that it can be tied down. Our American version is fitted and has draw strings.

So the canvas was thrown over the framework, sisal rope was used to thread through the eyes which was then hooked on the various cleats on the body - and tied off.

The final result is quite pleasing.

Friday - really our last day - we want to fit the Toolbox and the two-gallon tin holder and fit the panel in the bodywork next to the driver. Rowley is coming on Saturday morning to pick up the lorry, to start its journey to Crystal Palace for the run on Sunday,

DSCN4447.jpg

DSCN4450.jpg

DSCN4451.jpg

and to think it arrived there almost one piece at a time, plus a fair percentage made from raw.....

It's a pity the radiator castings couldn't have been built up, but I suppose you can only do so much before it's cheaper / easier just to make new.

Good luck with the run. :D

Gordon

Well done Gentleman, really happy that you've managed to get it ready in time. It will be worth it, trust me! Just managed to finish putting all our responsibilities back together today - it's been a long few weeks. Driving the Chivers Leyland up to the Palace tomorrow with Ben, who'll stay with it. Ben & Richard will be leaving Sunday morning at 7am also so you'll have some friendly company from the off!

All the very best & see you bright & breezy Sunday morning:D