Rare Vehicles

woa2

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Austin K5, I have been told by several people that there are only about 7 complete/ restored and no more than 20 in total ?

I would love to know how many realy do exist and where they are ?

Ian

Hi there, We have one that is complete but needs full restoration - if anyone is interested please let me know.

Andy Mitch

For less than 10 surviving we have two ex-military and three civilian:

Ex-RAF Unipower Industrial, believed to be the only one every supplied.

1938 Scammell Pioneer R100, so far the only pre-war gun tractor we have come across. I would be very happy if anyone can prove me wrong. Another one to look at would make the restoration a lot easier!:D

On the civilian front the most noticeable is a one-off Landrover prototype. Although civvy it is bronze green.

Cheers

Ed

All

I read the recent thread about Lloyd Carriers and there being 22 in the world. I was thinking about other vehicles and the numbers that survive, so the question is 'Do you know own a vehicle where less than 10 survive in the world?'

I will start this thread off with my vehicle, a Ford WOA2. I know of only 6 in the world :-

4 in UK (One of these is a WOA2A model, the only one I know of)

1 in Australia

1 in Czechoslovakia

So, do you own a rare vehicle, one of less that 10 in the world? Can we get a list of rarities?

Hello I've often wondered just how many Ford WOA2/WOA2A 4x2 Heavy Utility Motorcars are known to survive.I knew that that were rare,but I didn't realise that they were THAT RARE!

And just how many Ford WOA1A 4-Door Sedan Motorcars still exist?

The first time I ever saw a Ford WOA2 was when I was at Junior School,it was being used as a Loudspeaker-Publicity Vehicle by a travelling circus that was performing in our area.I was fascinated with it as it passed by my friend and I,and although I didn't know what make and and model it was,I just knew it was a Ford! I must be psychic.

Actually,the same thing happened when I saw a Humber FWD 4x4 Heavy Utitility Motorcar for the first time in the flesh-metal (near Manchester Airport).Again,I didn't know what make and model it was,but I just knew that it was a Humber!

There was a Ford WOA2 in the Museum of Army Transport,Beverley,but it did not have the standard pressed steel body.

Likewise,I often wondered many times just how many of the German-built and magnificent Faun ZR and ZRS

4X2 Ballast Road Locomotives survive.

OSHKOSH

Edited by OSHKOSH

• 4 weeks later...

POSTED on Halloween 2013:-

Happy Halloween:-D

a1f3a216-fde7-4b61-9b02-0063a1c04408_zps5e017eed.jpg

FWD SU-COE 4x4 Lorry-Motor Truck.

I have often wondered just how many FWD SU-COE 4x4 Lorries-Motor Trucks survive.The FWD SU-COE is favourite model

of mine,but alas,examples seem to be few and far between at present.......at least in the United Kingdom.......

Probably not as popular as the equivalent AEC Matador 4x4,the FWD SU-COE was used as a heavy recovery vehicle,

logging tractor,showmans road locomotive,etc,by quite a substantial number of people in the United Kingdom.

And can somebody please give me the contact details of a motor vehicle enthusiast who compiled a list of all known circus

and fairground FWD SU-COE's that were operated in the United Kingdom.Thanks.

And here is a magnificent and preserved FWD SU-COE Showmans Ballast Diesel Road Locomotive:-D:-

FWD SU-COE,LEYLAND DIESEL-ENGINED,4x4 SHOWMANS BALLAST DIESEL ROAD LOCOMOTIVE,FOT 556,VANGUARD.April-May 1947 Southampton.T.Noyce and Sons:-

AFWDSU-COELEYLANDDIESEL-ENGINED4x4SHOWMANSBALLASTDIESELROADLOCOMOTIVEFOT556VANGUARDApril-May1947SouthamptonTNoyceandSons_zpsc2d4367a.jpg

OSHKOSH

Edited by OSHKOSH

FWD SU-COE 4x4 Lorry-Motor Truck.

I have often wondered just how many FWD SU-COE 4x4 Lorries-Motor Trucks survive.The FWD SU-COE is favourite model

of mine,but alas,examples seem to be few and far between at present.......at least in the United Kingdom.......

OSHKOSH

Jaap Rietveld has a chassis cab in lovely original condition - go on, it needs a good home.........:-D

I sure have a fondness for the rare stuff, so own almost only such vehicles now,

Rarest is the prototype 500cc Cooper War Combat Scooter, more can be seen here:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?35570-Cooper-War-Combat-Motor-Scooter&highlight=cooper+war+combat

Then my US 5 ton White 704S, only 1500 made for the French army in 1939, model was never commercially produced as such in the US.

090820101506.jpg

3 other (unrestored) survivors in France, Germans took most of them to the Eastern front, some went to Brits in North Africa.

lkw7.jpg

Also an 1943 Airborne Simplex Servicycle, maybe 3 real wartime survivors?

Then a rare 1939 Royal Enfield Royal Baby, only about 4 survivors, used for trials in the Army, the Flea was the outcome of it.

Further rare stuff, but more than 10 survivors, 1943 Welbike, 1944 Cushman 53, 1944 DKW 125-Na., 1942 Indian Mod 640, 1943 Clark CA1 Airdozer, 1941 Ford GP pre-production Jeep, 1939 Norton Big 4 SWD outfits, that's about it folks!

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike

Hello I've often wondered just how many Ford WOA2/WOA2A 4x2 Heavy Utility Motorcars are known to survive.I knew that that were rare,but I didn't realise that they were THAT RARE!

And just how many Ford WOA1A 4-Door Sedan Motorcars still exist?

There was a Ford WOA2 in the Museum of Army Transport,Beverley,but it did not have the standard pressed steel body.

The WOA2 that was in Beverley is owned by James Shopland, and I have seen it at Weymouth Veterans parade this year with my WOA2.

I know of 2 Ford WOA1 vehicles in existence, but only one is currently on the road.

Ford WOA2 cars didn't survive for 2 reasons. Firstly they rusted very quickly because they were not painted very well, and secondly they were sold off when the Ford Pilot was around and they were scrapped for their V8 engines.

there aren't many restored cromwells around probably no more than 4 and even less mk4 Churchill avre's.

You can probably say the same for any AVRE/ARRV/BARV variants. Are there any Chieftain ARRVs around other than Mark's?

Andy

POSTED on Tuesday,5th NOVEMBER,2013:-

9f4ae061-ed17-43a6-885d-88bcaf9550d2_zps7467db37.jpg

GUY FAWKES NIGHT REMEMBER REMEMBER THE FIFTH OF NOVEMBER GUNPOWDER TREASON AND PLOT. Guy Fawkes made up of Standard Fireworks :-D

The WOA2 that was in Beverley is owned by James Shopland, and I have seen it at Weymouth Veterans parade this year with my WOA2.

I know of 2 Ford WOA1 vehicles in existence, but only one is currently on the road.

Ford WOA2 cars didn't survive for 2 reasons. Firstly they rusted very quickly because they were not painted very well, and secondly they were sold off when the Ford Pilot was around and they were scrapped for their V8 engines.

OSHKOSH replies:-

Thanks for the information.It's a terriable shame that seemingly so few Ford WOA2 Heavy Utility Motorcars have survived:-

You wouldn't think that it has an apparently low survival rate going by it's styling and appearance.......it's tough and heavy- and attractive - looking,and has charisma!

I read in a magazine article years since that pre-war British Ford motor cars had galvanised steel bodies,which made them virtually rust proof - and at least some post-war British Ford motor cars also had galvanised steel bodies. If that is the case,did any of the World War Two British Ford motor vehicle models have galvanised steel bodies and cabs?

Probably not:Ford probably dropped the galvanised steel process in order to speed up production of vital military vehicles,

including the Ford WOA2 of course - it appears that they skimped on the paint process too in order to speed up production.

FORD WOA2 V8 4x2 HEAVY UTILITY MOTORCAR,HYE 531,November 1946-November 1948 London,after demob - St. Peter's Hospital,Chertsey,beautiful motor vehicle:-

FORDWOA24x2HEAVYUTILITYMOTORCARHYE531November1946-November1948LondonAfterdemob-StPetersHospitalChertsey_zps57a60d15.jpg

Ford WOT6 V8 3-Ton 4x4.Examples of this model seems to be a bit on the rare side as well.......I wonder how many of these have survived.......:-

FORD WOT6 V8 GS FIXEDSIDE-BODIED 3-TON 4x4 LORRY.World War Two British Army Lorry:-

FORDWOT6GSV8FIXEDSIDE-BODIED3-TON4x4LORRYWorldWarTwoBritishArmyLorry_zps4a2fbe52.jpg

OSHKOSH

Edited by OSHKOSH

• 1 month later...

FWD SU-COE SHOWMANS ROAD LOCOMOTIVE FOT 556

This is an update on the following FWD SU-COE,LEYLAND DIESEL-ENGINED,4x4 SHOWMANS BALLAST DIESEL ROAD LOCOMOTIVE,FOT 556,VANGUARD.April-May 1947 Southampton.T.Noyce and Sons.

I posted a photograph of this FWD SU-COE on this thread on Halloween 2013:-

AFWDSU-COELEYLANDDIESEL-ENGINED4x4SHOWMANSBALLASTDIESELROADLOCOMOTIVEFOT556VANGUARDApril-May1947SouthamptonTNoyceandSons_zpsc2d4367a.jpg

I have since learned that this FWD SU-COE Showmans Road Locomotive is now powered by a Perkins diesel engine,and has been fitted with power steering.

DEAN MARTIN CHRISTMAS TV SHOW - The Martin and Sinatra Families:-

dean-martin-show-19-dec-1967-martin-and-sinatra-family-members-f30.jpg

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone:-D

OSHKOSH

Seems my Acmat is one of the original 6 that were purchased for the Somalia trip and in a RHD option are quite rare. Mind you the survival rate of the ex Irish ones seem quite good out of the first 6 appears fairly good.

- Protacman has 2 (scrapped one to make the dual cab) in Ireland

- One went to Germany

- Thunderbird in Ireland

- mine in UK

I 'assume' this is the list of the original 6, which means only one has gone