buried and abandoned tanks

eddy8men

shame it's been cut up, even if it was in a bad way it could still be restored or used for parts but once they get cut up they're gone for ever.

i was talking to a fella the other day that was telling me about a churchill that had been removed from a range and scrapped only a couple of years ago. i would have given my right arm for it :(

rick

• 3 weeks later...
This bunker is well known as a rave and party spot. Also known to authorities so police go there now and again. Parts were also used to grow mushrooms.

why are the vehicles still down there? Has the exit tunnel collapsed or something?

A couple of queries, I used to live/work in Aberdeen in the 80's. There was a scrapyard at a place called "Whitehouse" (I think).

There was IIRC a Bedford QLR, a Morris 15cwt plus a carrier, which I was told had been used by a local Gillie for shooting parties.

There were loads of Austin Champs scattered around too, plus what may have been crated spares...engines ??

Anyone know if its still there or what happened..I dont think he was the type to sell anything at the time.

Second query, there was or is a dealer based in the Chichester area..near Portsmouth. There was an inside collection of cars and trucks, outside there was a 7 1/2 ton trailer/Armoured Bedfords as used in Malaya, a few Daimler A/C, a pile of engines in crates, also a Morris C9B chassis. Also in the yard were a couple of very rusty Humber Scout car hulls.

I believe they ran a market garden at the premises. Does this still exist and any details????

Just remembered a third scrappy I visited......Peterborough way.

There was an AEC Matador, he also had a Humber 15cwt Ambulance.

In the yard was a Dingo undergoing restoration, but of interest there was a Guy chassis of unknown origin.

I seem to recall ther was a pit in which there was a Humber Scout.......which, again IIRC may have been the roof-less version.

Do these ring any bells ????

George.

Second query, there was or is a dealer based in the Chichester area..near Portsmouth. There was an inside collection of cars and trucks, outside there was a 7 1/2 ton trailer/Armoured Bedfords as used in Malaya, a few Daimler A/C, a pile of engines in crates, also a Morris C9B chassis. Also in the yard were a couple of very rusty Humber Scout car hulls.

Do these ring any bells ????

George.

That would be Clive Hughes.

why are the vehicles still down there? Has the exit tunnel collapsed or something?

No, tunnel has not collapsed. I can't find out why the vehicles are there at all, bar the fact a collector stored them there. But I think obvious to anybody the vehicles are abandoned. There is a stair and entrance from a pillbox on the top, but there is a drive through tunnel entrance, which is where the police patrol. It was a NATO bunker at one time.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone heard about the tanks,half tracks andlorrys that were buried in south london

down near the plumstead bus garage

at the time the land was part of the woolwich arsenal

my dad was creeping about with his mates,and as kids do,they were where they shouldnt have been

there was a pit about fifty foot deep by around a hundred foot around,maybe bomb damage i dont know

but he says the pit was filled with vehicles and then buried

he thinks the site is just north of the plumstead bus garage

There was an awful lot of stuff, lost dumped and deliberatley forgotten about at Woolich Aresenal. I was there just as it was closing and did a lot of research into things for the Envoromental team. I doubt vehicles would have been buried. Scrap was far to valuable.

yeah theres definitlely no doubt in this story its something thats plagued my dad for years,as he couldnt understand why they did it,i guess deep penetration ground radar would be needed to try and find the site,i dont think you would see any trace when they were shutting down the site,most of their land had already been flattened and was large areas of brownfield,even in the 80,s we were scavenging parts of the shore line for scrap shell cases that had just been chucked in the river

and the thing about the mod is it can be near impossible to get any info

your right about a lot of stuff being purposely disregarded as there have been a few childrens play areas closed down due to severely comtaminated soil,and they only came to light in the last ten years

im not sure about scrap prices in the late forties,but i know army surplus auctions were quite common then

with vast quantitys of different items

i sometimes see items on certain auction sites(not ebay) that are just out of storage ,recently it was a load of 1940s

bikes

I too have heard stories from friends who were tasked with similar jobs at the end of the war. My family knew an old soldier who used to pop round and help with the garden. As a kid I used to hound him for stories about his time during the war. I was always asking him where could I find a Tiger tank, to which he would answer look in the dunes in North Africa if you want to find a German tank.

Anyway, he told me that after the war he was he stationed in Essex, one of the duties he performed was to help bury a tank on Galleywood Common in Essex. Story goes that the vehicle had had engine troubles, the engine was removed, war ends, tank gets forgotten about, and then buried a few years latter without its engine.

This would sound like a wild goose chase if it were not for the fact that other local residents remember the tank being there. Still have not tracked down where exactly the vehicle is, and still have not been able to find any hard proof of its being there, yet I have heard there was a photo taken of it which was printed in a local newspaper.

I also know of an WW2 American jeep in a pond on private land in the same area, but thats another story...

yeah theres definitlely no doubt in this story its something thats plagued my dad for years,as he couldnt understand why they did it,i guess deep penetration ground radar would be needed to try and find the site,i dont think you would see any trace when they were shutting down the site,most of their land had already been flattened and was large areas of brownfield,even in the 80,s we were scavenging parts of the shore line for scrap shell cases that had just been chucked in the river

and the thing about the mod is it can be near impossible to get any info

your right about a lot of stuff being purposely disregarded as there have been a few childrens play areas closed down due to severely comtaminated soil,and they only came to light in the last ten years

im not sure about scrap prices in the late forties,but i know army surplus auctions were quite common then

with vast quantitys of different items

i sometimes see items on certain auction sites(not ebay) that are just out of storage ,recently it was a load of 1940s

bikes

=====

I was recently reading about the use of "deep penetration ground radar " , it seems that "deep" is 4m , that is only 13 feet. Hardly sufficient depth to keep kids & scavengers away from burried tanks, spitfires or dead bodies ..