buried and abandoned tanks

eddy8men

ok now you've got me interested :cool2: do you think it would be possible to recover them or has the yard been built on and if it is possible what do you think the chances are of the guys that own the yard letting us go and get them. i'm going up to scotland next week so i could drop in then, let me know what you think.

cheers

rick

ok now you've got me interested :cool2: do you think it would be possible to recover them or has the yard been built on and if it is possible what do you think the chances are of the guys that own the yard letting us go and get them. i'm going up to scotland next week so i could drop in then, let me know what you think.

cheers

rick

I can only tell you what I know. The carriers and other vehicles and spare parts were buried in the late 60’s early 70’s when the yard was expanded and are most certainly there unless removed since,which I doubt. Mr Ross senior, the latest I have been told, has fallen foul of Alzheimer disease so his sons have taken over the business. The last time I met with Mr Ross senior was back in early 2000 when the “Ministry” requested a return of Armoured and other Land Rovers and he seemed fine then,being just as wily as ever with costing, as in “that’s the price,take it or leave it”. At that time the new and old yards still had gems galore to be found within. For instance a Rio,a reserve non unit issued Series 1 land rover in perfect order and an AEC Dorchester. There is certainly no harm in enquiring for you never know your luck in such circumstances.

Another point of interest was his fine collection of wartime jeeps which could be viewed at his shop located in the town.If the shop even still exists I don’t know.

If I learn of anything anew I will certainly post it.

thanks for taking the time to reply, i'll send them an email and see if anything comes of it. nothing ventured, nothing gained !

cheers

rick

If I were to give any advice then it would be to cold call rather than email. If you email you only get the office, but if you cold call at the yards you get the people who work there. And as in most cases by far more info.

Good luck.

Jim.

pulled these pics of ross's yard from the mlu forum, taken i think in 2003, you can see a reo in the background

Those pictures are of the old yard where the railway passes between the houses and the yard.The carriers are buried on the river side of the yard.

pulled these pics of ross's yard from the mlu forum, taken i think in 2003, you can see a reo in the background

...is this a Matador based battlefield command vehicle?....

......something the same or very similar to this sitting in a yard near to me....

..........being worked on but very slowly.......:-)

don't worry hanno i won't help myself to any sherman turrets :angel: it's supertrack you have to careful of !

johann do you need a turret for your sherman ? have you seen this ad from milweb there's a guy in spain casting them from new, click on the link to see his details.

http://www.milweb.net/dealers/trader/wwiistuff/

Thank's Eddy i see . If i don't have any original turret , it's can be the solution.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Should this section include gate guardians(not including Tank Museum) there is a Sherman at Alliwell Barracks Tidworth complety gutted inside another at the back of Picton Barracks Bulford supposed to be a DD none in view from the road.

There used to be a Lee or a Grant outside Bassingbourne years ago and a Sherman BARV at SEME Borden what happened to them and more recently what happened to the Sherman at Erskin Barracks ,Wilton? did it go to Andover?

Years ago they removed all the real Spitfire guardians at RAF stations and most are now flying, how about a fibre glass Sherman in exchange for an original one?

There is also rumoured to be a buried Sherman near Pickets Post on the A31 in the New Forest a recovery attempt was planned some years ago but never came to anything.

Where abouts at pickets post is the buried Sherman supposed to be?

I drive through there most days, not that I would be interested in digging it up! but I would love to have a look and maybe take some pictures for the forum.

Diggin_a_hole.gif

Hampshires a bit far for me .:angel:

Where abouts at pickets post is the buried Sherman supposed to be?

I drive through there most days, not that I would be interested in digging it up! but I would love to have a look and maybe take some pictures for the forum.

Sadly I do not know and it is totaly buried .If you drive towards Burley from Pickets Post there is a dirt layby on the right behind the Shell garage the gound drops down hill and the tank is somewhere in this aera.

The Sherman was training for D Day and sank in a pete bog there is evidence of foxholes in this area best seen at this time of year and the US Army did train in the New Forest.

A local forester knew where the tank was and permission was granted for a dig but it came to nothing.This was over twenty years ago.

• 3 months later...
unf---ing believable

this is a Matilda tank being cut up for scrap in Labuan

apparently a few have been pulled up....

Only good part is there may be a few left

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63815[/ATTACH]

I see a major road trip in the future for Rick and yes unf***ing believable hits the right tone

been looking at some of the history and seems its a sizable island and was a rather largish tank battle so could have been buried onshore

as it also dont look so pitted. they saying scrap value was around 3000 quid.......... morons