buried and abandoned tanks

eddy8men

mate of mines got 2 turretless hulls in oz but the shipping is a real killer at £9k each :shocked: the matilda's a nice tank but i'd rather have a valentine, i managed to cadge a drive of john pearsons down at beltring and it was one of the easiest bits of armour i've ever driven, not the best driving position though and the vision is pants but nice all the same.

a valentine is my next acquisition ;)

rick

Hi Eddy8man, things are on the improve here and I was thinking about this quote:-

mate of mines got 2 turretless hulls in oz but the shipping is a real killer at £9k each)

The container service that I use sends cars to Europe for three to four thousand AUD dollars each in one box so the hulls should cost the same as I use him to bring cars out from the US for me and he charges $3500AUD per car, I called another car collector today about this property with the tanks on and he said there is a seven cylinder radial engine on there as well but did not know what plane it came out of, sounds like a Stuart to me... Ray

Hi Eddy8man, things are on the improve here and I was thinking about this quote:-

mate of mines got 2 turretless hulls in oz but the shipping is a real killer at £9k each)

The container service that I use sends cars to Europe for three to four thousand AUD dollars each in one box so the hulls should cost the same as I use him to bring cars out from the US for me and he charges $3500AUD per car, I called another car collector today about this property with the tanks on and he said there is a seven cylinder radial engine on there as well but did not know what plane it came out of, sounds like a Stuart to me... Ray

Going to have to post piccies soon. I like Matilda's

Anyway, shouldn't you do something with that Churchill first? (Do I sound like your wife?)

I am hoping he buys that DD for sale soon

http://www.museumstuff.com/learn/topics/DD_Sherman::sub::Surviving_DD_Tanks

It's a steal at $595000

http://www.armyjeeps.net/armor1.htm

http://www.armyjeeps.net/swimtank/1943_sherman_m4.htm

The fella/family that owns that museum in France is onto a winner there I reckons.....

..Jaqces Limeux or summat like that?.....

..crikey ...as I recall from visiting the museum back in 2004 and what I've read elsewhere he was one of the main contractors after the War that cleared a lot of gear off the beaches and the seabed....they logged the positions of a dozen or so more of those sunken DDs.......

......if he manages to sell that one for half a million Euros he could easily enuff start fetching a few more up from under the sea.........you can bet a canny fella/family such as that kept hold of the salvage rights :-)

• 3 months later...

...rumour of a tank with a small turret on stainburn moor in yorkshire, this is where the mk2 churchill that went to beverly was found and later recovered by bob grundy and co. whilst the recovery was on a couple of kids came up to the fellas' and asked if they were taking the other tank, this on it's own would not be worth investigating but one of the reme ta officers said he almost recovered the wrong tank.

eddy

Interesting. Around 1980, a friend who grew up on a farm near Stainburn moor told me a story of an abandoned tank in a wood; he pointed out the location of the Churchill very accurately and we found it without difficulty. He said that there was another tank in the area, but was vague about the location. This other tank was said to be in worse condition than the Churchill, he thought it might have been used as a target.

This has got to be worth following up, although there is a heck of a lot of woodland to search; I would suggest that, if the REME "almost recovered the wrong tank" then the former resting place of the Churchill would be the best starting point. These days the forest has been opened up to the public, with many horse and bike riding trails, so if this mystery tank were in one of the more frequented areas then one would expect its location to be well known.

last year i dragged a couple of other fella's off the forum to go and have a look for the other tank but after a days search in the most likely areas we found nothing, which isn't surprising as the trees were planted very close together and you can only see a few feet, on the bright side it looked like they were clearing the forest so it might turn up one day soon. the kids that saw the tank described it as the "one with the small turret" maybe a covenanter ? i hope somebody finds it and restores it

rick

• 2 months later...

i know it's not buried or abandoned but i thought i'd put it up anyway, this is a range target at raf tain but don't worry about it being destroyed as all munitions used now are practice and contain no H.E. so it will last an awfully long time. who knows maybe we'll see it at beltring one day :cheesy:

arv reck.jpg

i'm sure no one would miss a turret or two if they were to disappear one dark night :D

Don't be so sure, they are considered historical artefacts! I have made parts to enable retoration of some of them and I believe most of them are logged and recorded.

The hulls are gutted shells with the backs cut out to provide access.

hows this for buried tanks ! 84 shermans and rams buried as cold war defences for the arnhem and nijmegan bridges. how many are left is anyones guess but it's possible that they all survived as they were buried in concrete.

Eddy, these are part of our local post-war heritage. Not all of them are still there, but the ones that are are listed historical objects. See http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?14986-Dug-in-Tank-near-Arnhem or Google " IJssellinie" for more information.

H.

Edited by mcspool

i'm sure no one would miss a turret or two if they were to disappear one dark night :D

Like Adrian said , i'm sure it's not a good idea :-| I'm sure they are historical artefacts :angel:

Hé ADrian when you will make some turet for all people have sherman tank without turret ? Going to work ! :-D

don't worry hanno i won't help myself to any sherman turrets :angel: it's supertrack you have to careful of !

johann do you need a turret for your sherman ? have you seen this ad from milweb there's a guy in spain casting them from new, click on the link to see his details.

http://www.milweb.net/dealers/trader/wwiistuff/

Many years ago when A.F Ross expanded their old yard at Girvan,Scotland, in the far left corner looking at the yard from the road entrance are buried numerous B.G Carriers and other interesting vehicles and parts thereof. This is certainly not a myth for I stood with Mr Ross senior and watched as they slowly became part of the infill. Possibly worthy of note if the yard is ever excavated in the future.