latest dvla problem

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having read this thread I think using the FOI act to find out what specifics apply and was states is a starter, without this arguing will be hard.

Have done a bit of reading on the IVA basics and this may be a way forward as if it passes one of these it is compliant for road use and as such should be registerable.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?r.s=m&r.l4=1081996775&r.l1=1081597476&r.lc=en&r.l3=1084755856&r.l2=1082103262&topicId=1081996775&r.i=1084731470&r.t=RESOURCES

However from items on various kit car/street rod sites you need things like seat belts, demisters/heaters and padding to sharp area in the passenger compartment. Could prove difficult

With respect to braking systems and the requirement for two seperate braking systems I recently had a new Passat as a courtesy car and as far as I could tell it only had one effective braking system, the middle pedal. Its hand brake was a button on the dashboard. It also automatically applied and realeased the handbrake automatically when you stopped for a certain amount of time. Do these actually comply with C&U? Give me a mechanical one anyday at least I can control that (and execute handbrake turns).

With respect to lights IIRC you used to be able to get daylight MOTs where all you needed was a brake light and reflector. Was this just motorbikes and are they still available and if so is it possible to apply this to other vehicles.

Mike

With respect to braking systems and the requirement for two seperate braking systems I recently had a new Passat as a courtesy car and as far as I could tell it only had one effective braking system, the middle pedal. Its hand brake was a button on the dashboard. It also automatically applied and realeased the handbrake automatically when you stopped for a certain amount of time. Do these actually comply with C&U? Give me a mechanical one anyday at least I can control that (and execute handbrake turns).

Mike

Dont think VW would have sold so many if non C&U compliant do you? Edited by Marmite!!
quote tag added

......With respect to lights IIRC you used to be able to get daylight MOTs where all you needed was a brake light and reflector. Was this just motorbikes and are they still available and if so is it possible to apply this to other vehicles. Mike

They were certainly available for a Jeep almost 12 months ago, with lights but no indicators fitted.

You get an Advisory Note with the MOT certificate, listing -

001 Lights not fitted at time of test

002 Tested for daytime use only

I wonder if this might be only available for vehicles of a certain age?

They were certainly available for a Jeep almost 12 months ago, with lights but no indicators fitted.

I wonder what the implications would be if you were to use it at night in the eyes of your insurance !!! :wow:

Mike

Dont think VW would have sold so many if non C&U compliant do you?

Probably right but being electronic would not trust it, in fact from reading several forums it appears that they have a habit of self releasing or staying on. By all accounts the owners manual recommends you always leave the car in gear when parked and the brake activated.

From what I have found C&U regs require the parking brake to hold a vehicle on a 18% slope (thats 1:5.55555 in real terms) whilst in neutral.

Mike

Edited by Marmite!!
qupte tag added

Originaly jeeps were not fitted with indicators and therefor will pass mot without them, same as windscreen wipers. John.

Yes I believe that is correct, if the windscreen can be opened or folded down it does not matter if you have wipers or not. Also something about if the windscreen is lower than a certain height so more like a wind deflector on old open topped sports cars there is no requirement for wipers.

Talking to my mate today who's a Solicitor he said the reference material we need is Sweet and Maxwell's Encyclopedia of Road Traffic Law and Practice only £1,106.00 :wow: he did say it should be should be available at most main reference libraries though.

Encyclopedia of Road Traffic Law and Practice

Number of volumes: 6

Series:

Local Government Library

ISBN:

Published by:

Sweet & Maxwell

Editors:

Mark Lucraft; Hannah Willcocks; Alexandra Ward

Last Release: Aug 2010 / Next Release: Nov 2010

Subscription Information:

3 releases a year, Calendar year

Format:

Looseleaf

The Encyclopedia of Road Traffic Law and Practice provides comprehensive, authoritative and up-to-date information on all aspects of road traffic law and practice. The six volumes are updated three times a year to keep readers abreast of the flow of new cases, legislation, statutory instruments and European material in this area.

Subscribers will also receive a bulletin three times a year as part of the service. This contains essential information on recent cases and topical news.

Point is if any gizmos such as indicators or wipers are fitted , they must work. Having driven into heavy precipertation with windscreen down, I like wipers!

If the vehicle is present with wipers fitted but with the windscreen folded they do not have the right to test whether they work or not.

If the vehicle is present with wipers fitted but with the windscreen folded they do not have the right to test whether they work or not.

The vehicle also has to be tested in the condition that it arrives. It gets very complicated. One example if the emissions need to be tested and the engine oil is low its a fail.

Current dvla stand is the mod say the stormer has no secondary braking . So they cant register . what a load of crap . does anyone have any info or web info that says different .As they dont seem to want to inspect it .

cheers Danny

Current dvla stand is the mod say the stormer has no secondary braking . So they cant register . what a load of crap . does anyone have any info or web info that says different .As they dont seem to want to inspect it .

cheers Danny

Why don't you contact the Tank Museum and see if they have any manuals or technical experts that are willing to help you out?

cheers Danny

Have you got CVR(T).Technical handbook.Tech description Stormer? if not try the REME archives at Arborfield they may have a copy that you can copy. Should have a description of the braking system.

http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/archive/index.htm

The Stormer Technical Description is still classified as Restricted, unfortunately. My understanding is that DVLA accept the MVT as an organisation competent to inspect vehicles for registration purposes, so ask Terry to go over it and issue an appropriate letter?

Andy

The Stormer Technical Description is still classified as Restricted, unfortunately. My understanding is that DVLA accept the MVT as an organisation competent to inspect vehicles for registration purposes, so ask Terry to go over it and issue an appropriate letter?

Andy

Don't the MVT just verify age & chassis numbers etc & not the mechanical condition or whether it complies with C&U?

Would of thought if they had declassified the vehicles to manuals would be too??

Yes I believe that is correct, if the windscreen can be opened or folded down it does not matter if you have wipers or not. Also something about if the windscreen is lower than a certain height so more like a wind deflector on old open topped sports cars there is no requirement for wipers.

IIRC the requirement is that it must be possible "to obtain an adequate view to the front without looking through the windscreen" for wipers to be not required. This is generally taken to mean that the windscreen must fold down or hinge up. Don't forget also that if you have wipers you must also have washers - wipers on their own will not pass an MOT.

When I was nearing completion of a rebuild of my Series 1 86" I took it for an MOT with no windscreen, doors, wipers, washers, seat belts, and only the drivers seat in place. The MOT only took about 10 minutes, and most of that was the tested trying to decide whether or not it could pass without doors.