What parts should be reproduced?

robin craig

So, we all have our own areas of interest and resulting knowledge.

We also have a need for parts to support our vehicles which have for many been out of production for years.

There seems to be a thriving industry in making reproduction parts for Jeeps and the like, likely based on the volume potential for sales.

The post warBritsh vehicles are my main interest.

I know the Land Rover is well served by parts, but what of other vehicles?

What parts are NLA (no longer available) that would be worth making?

I would say the centre bin for the Ferret would be right up there.

What say you?

R

dingo tyres

Yes, that problem has been debated some years ago by members of the Dingo Register. The trouble is, from enquiries I made with a small company who have repro tyres for prewar cars made, that a mould cost could have been over £20,000. This was for work done in the Far East too, on top of that a minimum run of 200 tyres and their costs. OK, that is 50 vehicles, but how do you split the mould cost? There were around 120 Dingos on the register from around the world. Major problem. What it needs is a kindly benefactor to put up the funds and have a batch made to cover all running vehicles and for their owners to make an assurance of purchasing a set of four tyres. Sadly, I cannot see it happening...........:-(

Yes, that problem has been debated some years ago by members of the Dingo Register. The trouble is, from enquiries I made with a small company who have repro tyres for prewar cars made, that a mould cost could have been over £20,000. This was for work done in the Far East too, on top of that a minimum run of 200 tyres and their costs. OK, that is 50 vehicles, but how do you split the mould cost? There were around 120 Dingos on the register from around the world. Major problem. What it needs is a kindly benefactor to put up the funds and have a batch made to cover all running vehicles and for their owners to make an assurance of purchasing a set of four tyres. Sadly, I cannot see it happening...........:-(

Sounds like the simlar situation I have with 900x13 tyres.

Also Ferret silencers, I know of several people who have made them in the past.

I saw this in a thread before, why is this a problem? Just curious as my part of the world copying a silencer is really easy and of course cheap. On another related issue or debate I would make it out of stainless and paint it with heat resistant paint so it was not obvious (or is this a sin?)

Screw in glass lamp lens' with the four lugs......in all colours!!!!

Maybe concider a mould to injection mould in plastic. they would look much the same, be stronger and cheaper......

And almost universal in application....

Might even be possible to get them E marked to shut up the MOT testers who don't know the rules but think they do......

I would say the centre bin for the Ferret would be right up there.

R

I'll be having a crack at a Ferret bin at some point in the future. I know people who have or can make tooling to do the ribs and recesses. If mine is successful I may do a few more depending on time and cost.

Got to be tyres!

The ultimate wear item and hard to get hold of original patterns. I'd like some 9.00x16 Bar grips for my 101 and ideally a set of 11.00x20 bargrips for the Ward.

I find it hard to believe that a tyre mold is £20,000. I know of someone in the off-road racing game who a few years ago made up a mold for the maxi-cross type tyre and it was no-where near that sort of money. I think the real problem is getting them approved for road use.

Most metal parts I can either re-make or know a man who can.

Edited by Stormin