28 members have voted

1. 1. 3rd Runway at Heathrow???

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes but not in my back garden
    • Don't give a T***
    • Undecided

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Hi John Transit trade(hang on theres a plane going over i cant here myself think)Thats better,I am at a loss to understand the benefit of people not leaving the airport,and apart from a few duty free things they buy how that benefits us.1,500 ft about the same as us in streatham then,so not a major inconvenience as you say.I think we should all have more green machines /boats what ever as working on the airport theory that will bring more work to garages,parts suppliers/boatyards/and revenue to the government.Plus make us feel more like there is a reason for our efforts.I understand they only intend to use half the capacity,:rofl::rofl::rofl: i wonder why i dont believe that.Transit trade slap a big tax on it,give the money to the war widows struggling to keep warm,and about to be Forced from there homes.

and about to be Forced from there homes.

& that should be doing them a favour too.. it seems that all those affected have been moaning about the Airport years before the 3rd runway... now they can go & buy themselves somewhere quiet in the country with their compo :coffee:

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Lets hope its enough to do just that,But if the market value is low because of the airport,and they only pay market value it aint gonna happen,When the airport was built it was in the country,well lets move it to the country ,preferbly another country.

When the congestion Zone was introduced,a large survey was conducted and the air quality was close to the EU maximum,i havnt as yet heard any reports on the figures at Heathrow.I dare say we will as Greenpeece is no longer a bunch of fanatics,but a well funded/legally represented organisation.Wouldnt it be terrible if money from rival countries found its way indirectly into there funds ,What would the Sun headlines be.

,i havnt as yet heard any reports on the figures at Heathrow.

when I saw my doctor a few years ago he said one thing re my breathing problem - move! You live next to the M25, have the M3 south of you, the M4 north of you, all the xxxx drifting west out of London and the airport on top of you

just as well i have a place in the country and can take his advice at the weekends :coffee:

when I saw my doctor a few years ago he said one thing re my breathing problem - move! You live next to the M25, have the M3 south of you, the M4 north of you, all the xxxx drifting west out of London and the airport on top of you

just as well i have a place in the country and can take his advice at the weekends :coffee:

Programme on the box mentioned the high incidence of asthma in the Heathrow area.

Incidentally I haven't voted as I don't know enough about the subject.

As with all emotive issues of this type wild statements are made by both sides and claimed to be fact without substantiation.

If it's about transit traffic it doesn't matter a jot what airport you land at. Take that away from Heathrow and transfer it to another quieter airport and Heathrow would have spare capacity now.

Let's see some money spent away from London for a change.

Definitely a good thing, need the extra capacity. For those that live nearby - unless you've been living there for over sixty years, hardly in a position to complain as there's been an airport there since (IIRC) 1948. No point in moving to the Thames Estuary as there's already lots of infrastructure already in place at Heathrow, no point in having to move that when it's already in one place, plus having to move jobs etc, and would create another new group of NIMBY's

we dont need a 3rd runway, all those extra planes burning all that lovely fuel it will just run out quicker and there wont be any left for my lorry @ 7 mpg :-D

regards

:cool2: 7 mpg, eh, Graham,.........think you need to tow the jeep around a bit more...............tws more like 4 then, wasn't it....:rofl:

I've voted NO,.......feel really sorry for those folk who have lived in the house's facing demolision;........Where are these folk going to live ?? if properties are compulsory purchased, and i'm guessing thats the only way some will be forced out, will they be able to afford to live in same area, (if they so wish ??)

Thames estuary idea sounds like a good one,.........well from the little I've read on it.

Let's face it, the govt is not going to start restricting air travel or force realistic environmental charges on passengers, so we will continue to have access to unrealistically cheap air travel for the foreseable future.

Who cares if we can't afford the £30 of petrol or the £70 train fare to get to the airport for our £4 flight to Europe?

So meantime we have to expand the facilities, and I've just read in the paper that once the 3rd runway is operating at full capacity (oh yes?) they plan to increase night flights by 30%.

Cynical? Me?

How far away would you recommend then ? Lets hope you never have this type of thing happen to you !

Far away enough not to be in the immediate surrounding area. I hope it doesn't happen to me either, which is why I won't live within several miles of an airport.

As for those that have lived there all their lives, then it is a shame, but the new runway will create more jobs as well as bringing more money into the area, same goes for those that lived there pre-airport, but I doubt there's many people that have lived in the same house since WW1, which is when aviation at the site started, or pre-1946 when the airport first fully opened for civilian use

Let's face it, the govt is not going to start restricting air travel or force realistic environmental charges on passengers, so we will continue to have access to unrealistically cheap air travel for the foreseable future.

Who cares if we can't afford the £30 of petrol or the £70 train fare to get to the airport for our £4 flight to Europe?

So meantime we have to expand the facilities, and I've just read in the paper that once the 3rd runway is operating at full capacity (oh yes?) they plan to increase night flights by 30%.

Cynical? Me?

They are having a damned good try - we are supposed to be going to Colorado next Aug for the 10th anniversary of a tour through the Rockies in two stroke Saabs. Checking prices the other night this is what we found:

£930 - Cheapest direct airfare for all three of us

plus

£920 - UK Taxes and fuel surcharges

If we could buy the tickets in the USA it would cost the US$ equivalent of £740 TOTAL! :argh: